Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A recently made 1930s suit

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Wow!

Can it be true? A 1930s suit, made recently? Judge for yourself. The following photos show a British bespoke 3-piece suit made by Dunhill several years ago. (For the moment, it's not for sale.) At present, this is as close to the Golden Age as we're going to get, short of the vintage clothing route.

as0260004.jpg

as0260009.jpg

as0260005.jpg

as0260006.jpg

as0260007.jpg

as0260008.jpg

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
That is a beautiful suit. The fabric also looks period accurate; that wonderful smooth wool with the delineated stripe. The pockets on the jacket match nicely, the buttons on the fly are perfect for the times. Amazing.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Wow, very nice suit! I believe Marc mentioned it was made a few years ago. I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m sure that it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s going to be a 1500 dollar suit! If not more mind you.

Everything looks correct! As for the buttons, vintage fly buttons are a little different in that they are just plane glass or dark plastic buttons. They have no color other then to match the color of the suit. Say on this suit, they would be black. Just a small minor detail.

I see inverse pleats, a high rise in the back with buckle! Looks rather nice! But, trust me gents, it would cost you a fraction of the cost to buy a real vintage suit and have it altered to fit then to buy one of these puppies!

Food for thought,

=WR=

Wild Root

Gone Home
shamus said:
1500.. i'd say more like 5000.00 at least.

Well, I did say: If not more. So, I started my guess at 1500 and left it open to limitless possibilities. Never the less, 600 is to much for a suit in my eyes. Even if I was as rich as Rockefeller, I'd buy a nice vintage suit any day.

Hardcore? Yes, I am.;)

=WR=

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
My guess is that the lapel can roll to the top or the middle button. Suits this well made have the top buttonhole faced on both sides, so that the wearer can choose his roll according to preference.

I will have access to this suit by early next week. I haven't seen it in person yet!

A reliable source tells me that the original cost from Dunhill was over $ 4,000. Those chaps are very, very pricey.

shamus

Suspended
Wild Root said:
Well, I did say: If not more. So, I started my guess at 1500 and left it open to limitless possibilities. Never the less, 600 is to much for a suit in my eyes. Even if I was as rich as Rockefeller, I'd buy a nice vintage suit any day.

Hardcore? Yes, I am.;)

=WR=

I'm just guestimating. But a dunhill pen cost at least $200.00 so a custom suit would probably be in that range.

I agree on the cost. It's too much what ever it is. Why buy new? A carefull buyer can get a great suit for under $200.00.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner