Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Resistol Fedora with chin strap holes

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
OK, sometimes I bid on something just because they intrigue me a bit. There were two hats, a Resistol and a Stetson, being sold by the same seller. Both hats had oval grommets in the brim, assumably for chin straps. I didn't bit on the Stetson, but did on the Resistol and won.

Here it is:

ResistolGreenwithchinstrapholesebay.jpg

ResistolGreenwithchinstrapholese-1.jpg

Unlined. I also assume the original owner had the grommets put in rather than buying them this way, but I don't know for sure. Since I've not seen anything like it before in a fedora, and since the Stetson was similarly treated, I think it's a fairly safe assumption.

Maybe I'll make a chin strap for it and wear it on windy days. :D

Cheers,
Tom

Duck

Practically Family
Tango, I thought that it was you that bought the hat. I was watching it too. I think you got a great hat. It is a Resistol Police hat. I have a navy Stetson just like it, except mine is lined. These are mainly used by sheriff depts., but there are some state police units that use that style instead of the Montana Peak hats.
Let us know how the felt is when you get the hat. Mine is A LOT softer than a Stratton police hat I have, and the brim works like a snap brim fedora.
These are pics of how it arrived, I need to take pics after the re-bash.
21f9_1.JPG

21a4_1.JPG

I am trying to decide what to do with the strap holes on mine.[huh]

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Great info, Duck--thanks! And thanks for putting up the photo of yours. Interesting how they put the leather strap over the ribbon instead of having just the leather strap/belt as on some hats.

I'll post a report when I get it.

Regards,
Tom

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
I have one of those with strap holes. I found the holes are not very noticeable when it's on the head. If anybody does see them, they aren't really that ugly. If you don't like the strap (Mine looked like vinyl instead of leather.), a nice substitute is a 42" boot lace with a sliding wooden bead. Both items can be found a Wal-mart.

HDRnR

A-List Customer
Tango, thats a cool hat. Sometimes a hat with a chin strap could come in handy. I've had plenty of hats get blown clear off of my head. I noticed a lot of Akubras come set up for chin straps but not with the external type like yours.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
According to the seller her father was a wildlife biologist for the Game and Fresh Water Fish Commission. He was issued the hats to wear with his dress uniform sometime in the '60s.

Cheers,
Tom

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Is the felt stiff? I have a brown fedora with strap holes.
The felt is very stiff. It'd be interesting to know if a soft
felt hat had the grommets in it.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
feltfan said:

I'll let you know when it arrives! :D

Cheers,
Tom

Duck

Practically Family
feltfan said:
Feltfan, the navy Stetson that I have has very soft felt. I was really surprized when it arrived.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot