Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I broke down and bought myself another hat

TLW '90

Practically Family
I'm generally a loyalist because I don't really wear different hats all the time, I have 3 hats and this eddy bros cougar model is my outdoors hat for late fall & winter.

20240418_144241.jpg

I bought the hat dirt cheap a few years ago for a Halloween costume and liked it so I decided I'd do a little customizing to liven up the bland dark color that I wasn't in love with and try it out.

It turned out to be a winner and the color grew on me, but today I finally decided it was time to find a second one in a lighter color.

Eddy bros hats aren't American made anymore so I looked on Ebay and quickly found just what I wanted.
It has the same hat band and everything, but it does have a strap which my 1st didn't and that could come in handy when it's windy.

Last edited:

TLW '90

Practically Family
Well I received the hat today and am definitely a bit disappointed.

I could not tell from the pictures that the band & strap were mildewed, and the hat seems to be kind of moth bitten all over.
20240426_132500.jpg

They're not holes going all the way through though, so I decided that I'll still keep and wear it.
I removed the mildewed leather, threw together a quick band for it, then sprayed it with a little fabric febreze and went for a 20 minute ride on my minibike to air out the smell which is pretty much gone now.
20240426_132523.jpg

I do actually like the hat overall especially since the brim is a bit bigger, so I'll probably just wear it as my beater hat.

Who?

Practically Family
That’s a good looking hat, with some character.

Wear it outside on clear sunny days, and the ultraviolet should kill any residual spores. (I think)

You don’t say where you are, but I hope you have lots of nice sunny days with a high UV Index.

TLW '90

Practically Family
That’s a good looking hat, with some character.

Wear it outside on clear sunny days, and the ultraviolet should kill any residual spores. (I think)

You don’t say where you are, but I hope you have lots of nice sunny days with a high UV Index.
Here in norcal we do have plenty of sunny days, it's a little cloudy today though.

TLW '90

Practically Family
I ditched the temporary band I threw on it and made something better.
20240426_162655.jpg

I'll probably still do a bit more customization to it, but I'm just not sure yet.
Even if it's just going to be a beater I still gotta make it my own.

No, but I've decided to just wear it as a beater doing yard work or when I'm out exploring on my minibike.
I have learned when buying used/vintage hats to ask: are there any stains or odours? Are there any holes, nicks or gouges in the felt? Is there any visible moth damage? If the seller advises NO, and it turns out there is one or more of the above I have grounds to return. ....which I have done. Sellers who misrepresent their items need to be held accountable.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo