Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"A rolled hat will always eventually look like a rolled hat"?

bobkeenan

Familiar Face
I am still pretty new to the hat thing. At one of my first hat stores I was really intrigued with the folded or rolled hats. It seemed like the perfect solution for all those moments when you are like " where am I going to put this hat".

I talked with the salesman and he said the folded hats are fine but ' a rolled hat will eventually always have the rolled at look".

I have a rollable panama and a Stetson runabout that is also rollable. I have been wearing them and rolling them when required for the past few months. So far, with some occasional steaming and hat forming. They look like the day I bought them. I can see how the panama might have problems in the future but it looks like new to me.

So what is the deal. Will these hats eventually look rolled? Or maybe was the salesman referring to owners who will not steam and reshape their hats. I guess I am asking this because I want to get another one ;-).

RJR

I am still pretty new to the hat thing. At one of my first hat stores I was really intrigued with the folded or rolled hats. It seemed like the perfect solution for all those moments when you are like " where am I going to put this hat".

I talked with the salesman and he said the folded hats are fine but ' a rolled hat will eventually always have the rolled at look".

I have a rollable panama and a Stetson runabout that is also rollable. I have been wearing them and rolling them when required for the past few months. So far, with some occasional steaming and hat forming. They look like the day I bought them. I can see how the panama might have problems in the future but it looks like new to me.

So what is the deal. Will these hats eventually look rolled? Or maybe was the salesman referring to owners who will not steam and reshape their hats. I guess I am asking this because I want to get another one ;-).
I suspect that your expectations come into play.Most wearers probably aren't able to steam and shape hats that have been rolled.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Any good quality felt hat will be able to be rolled from time to time without any along term negative effects. Apart from a cloth sweatband rather than a leather one I really cant see the big difference.
Johnny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails