Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Special Day, I would think...

Trotsky

A-List Customer
...Because on Thursday I wore my first bowtie to work!

DSCF0866.jpg

Took me an hour or so to learn how to tie it. Not the best color but hot damn, I got a little excited! Mind you this is at the end of the day, hence the slightly shell shocked look.

Dagwood

Practically Family
Well done. The bow tie looks great.

Only an hour to learn!! I am very impressed...I think it took me about 3 days to learn. I would watch the YouTube video, run to the mirror, consult a book, run to the mirror, sleep on it, and then the entire cycle would start again.

I really like wearing mine also. I note, however, that if the bow tie is too perfect, people ask me if it is a clip on. To avoid that, I deliberately tie it a little askew...

Enjoy!!

A tip I give my clients ---

When trying to teach oneself how to tie a bowtie properly, never, EVER practice around your neck, and NEVER practice in a mirror. It'll do nothing but frustrate you.

Instead, practice around your right knee. It's roughly the size of your neck, and you can see what you're doing and, more importantly, what you're doing wrong.

Once you work out the motions, the moves, and the habits of the bow, you can get it around your neck in no time!

Great job on the bow -- is it a standard butterfly, or maybe a little more narrow? I can't tell from the pic, but it seems a little narrow.

If so, with your size, proportionally, I would recommend either a standard 2 3/4 butterfly, or perhaps even a 2 1/4 bat. Just a personal thought.

Cheers on the bow!

Trotsky

A-List Customer
CharlestonBows said:

When trying to teach oneself how to tie a bowtie properly, never, EVER practice around your neck, and NEVER practice in a mirror. It'll do nothing but frustrate you.

Instead, practice around your right knee. It's roughly the size of your neck, and you can see what you're doing and, more importantly, what you're doing wrong.

Once you work out the motions, the moves, and the habits of the bow, you can get it around your neck in no time!

Great job on the bow -- is it a standard butterfly, or maybe a little more narrow? I can't tell from the pic, but it seems a little narrow.

If so, with your size, proportionally, I would recommend either a standard 2 3/4 butterfly, or perhaps even a 2 1/4 bat. Just a personal thought.

Cheers on the bow!

Ironically that's exactly what I did, I practiced on my leg. I found that tying the tie without a mirror is also really helpful, I tend to do it tighter and when I am ready to adjust I have no problems.

Thanks for the tip too, and I believe it is a butterfly. For $1 it was a pretty good deal!

MB5

One of the Regulars
Looks good!

I tried my knee and the mirror and never had any luck. Now I just close my eyes and tie it and have great luck. It pretty much guarantees it will be a bit off kilter as well.lol

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Funny...

CharlestonBows said:

...Instead, practice around your right knee. It's roughly the size of your neck, and you can see what you're doing and, more importantly, what you're doing wrong...

...back on the old pre-Internet days that how I taught myself

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21