Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A test hat from China for 4 $

pbekkerh

New in Town
I know this is almost taboo in this quality oriented forum but hear me out.

If you don't have a hat and would like just to try it and, as more and more common, there are no hat stores nearby, you can buy a Chinese hat for 4 $ on ebay and try it out.

The hat has never seen felt, can't be reshaped but you can see yourself in a Fedora and maybe even test the waters in public and then decide for a quality hat after that.

I have also used mine for testing my hat stretcher and might try to make a foam mold inside it, without risking my Acubras.

IMG_4148.JPG IMG_4149.JPG

Doc Glockster

One of the Regulars
The first time you get that hat a little sweaty and the dye in the sweat band runs and stains your hair so that the only way to get it out is a haircut, you will be cured of this silly notion that a Chinese hat is a good investment.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Well, if you're only gonna test it for looks, as in - to see what might look like in a hat that resembles a fedora - you can do it in a temperature and humidity-controlled environment. Just head over to your local cigar store with the hat and a mirror, and ask them if you use their humidor! hahaha

pbekkerh

New in Town
An "investment" at 4$ ? :D

I've had it totally wet and there are no colours running.

I did call it a testhat though. I think its worth the 4 $ :)

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
How can you go wrong for $4? Used ball caps cost more.

I find it interesting that it appears to have a dimensional brim--as in the back looks much shorter than the front. Is that really the case, or is it an optical illusion?

I can tell you that men in Shanghai definitely wear a lot of hats, although most seem pretty unconcerned about quality. In summer they are looking for shade and in winter they want to keep their heads warm. I do get complimented on my nicer hats, though (which sadly cost much more than four bucks).

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
I don't think you can compare looking your self at the mirror with that hat and with a nice vintage hat. With that chinese hat you might say, "Fedoras are not for me", but with a nice vintage hat you might say "I need more!"

I don't think you can compare looking your self at the mirror with that hat and with a nice vintage hat. With that chinese hat you might say, "Fedoras are not for me", but with a nice vintage hat you might say "I need more!"

Agreed, big time. Moreover, to the observer, the likelihood of approval is far greater with a "real" hat. At $4, these hats are still half as much as they would be at twice the price...

emigran

Practically Family
Not so bad for $4 bucks... My Grandma always use to say... "Never say no to nothing. If you don't like it hou can give it away and make a friend".

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
If you are not too embarrassed to wear it that is. Sorry, no offense, but that hat is what gives a real fedora a bad name.

fedoralover

No offence taken. Each fedora is an individual. As are people. What works for some, wont work for others. With certain outfits and in certain places that hat would be very happy. Theres a time and a place for every hat and everyone. A real Fedora will never have a bad name. Just sayin.

Ginseng

One of the Regulars
I agree with Fedoralover's comments. It's not a question of whether or not a person should be free to wear a hat of their own choosing. That's freedom. Relativism is the less satisfying perspective here.

As a Fedora, the proportions are unbalanced, the pinch is poorly done, the ribbon looks cheap, the brim is badly shaped and dimensioned. In all respects, it is an objectively poor example of a Fedora. Any Fedora.

If the $4 Fedora looked identical and was finished comparably to a Stetson Open Road I might buy a few as disposables. But with this...I'd just as soon bring an umbrella.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I agree with Fedoralover's comments. It's not a question of whether or not a person should be free to wear a hat of their own choosing. That's freedom. Relativism is the less satisfying perspective here.

As a Fedora, the proportions are unbalanced, the pinch is poorly done, the ribbon looks cheap, the brim is badly shaped and dimensioned. In all respects, it is an objectively poor example of a Fedora. Any Fedora.

If the $4 Fedora looked identical and was finished comparably to a Stetson Open Road I might buy a few as disposables. But with this...I'd just as soon bring an umbrella.

Taste is subjective. Any fedora is better than no fedora and certainly better a fedora than a baseball cap. That hat would look fine and funky n cool at a blues/rock-club/bar w blue jeans and a tee. It would also work with cargo shorts and flip flops hangin at the beach or sea shore. Time and place and clothing for everyone and everything. Spending alotta time and words talkin abt a $4 hat. Just wear and njoy it, if you'd like and have fun or don't wear it if it's not your "thing."

emigran

Practically Family
Here's another thing... what would $4"costume" hat actually go with... certainly not your vintage Harris Tweed overcoat... but perhaps at the beach or on the boardwalk with your togs it would work... not a problem.
Last night I attended a funeral and while waiting to leave a gentleman commented on my nice hat... I thanked him and he said he also wears fedoras... a few sentences later he asked about it and I said it is a custom made hat and (bragging) that it cost about $400 bucks. I gathered he wished to handle it but did not offer thinking it inappropriate. He replied that it was obvious. Point being... though there are not so many of us around these days... a wearer can spot the Real McCoy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy