Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Tilley Goes To Angkor

Kaleponi Craig

A-List Customer
I just spent two weeks in Bali and Cambodia (at the Angkor Archeological Park) and this time, instead of taking a Panama, I took my new Tilley Air-Flo. Let me just say that I am TOTALLY sold on the Tilley. It was the perfect lid for the hot climate there. It was a great sunblock, kept the sweat off my brow and also kept my head dry in the occasional rain storm. I plan on taking this hat to whatever hot climate I go to. It's just too much of a hassle to take a nice Panama, plus the Tilley is good in all weather.

This is a "Fromager" tree, so called because the French archeologists thought the roots looked like drippy Brie cheese. This is the temple of Ta Prohm...

DSCN0049.jpg

Here I am with a cute little post card seller...

DSCN01783Copy.jpg

A Buddhist statue at the Bayon temple

DSCN00994.jpg

Surrounded by souvenir sellers at Bantey Kdei temple...

DSCN0110.jpg

No Tilley here (my wife usually asked me to take it off for photos), but I just thought this was a great shot. This is the east gopura (gate) at the temple of Ta Sohm...

SSCN00621.jpg

Some rice fields in Bali...

SSCN0071.jpg

Thanks for looking...KC

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Great photos

KC,

I think you ad your wife had a great stay there - what else can one say when seeing those places? Angkor Wat is one of my favourite places on this places I would like to visit on this planet.

GREAAAAT!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Thanks for sharing your latest globe trotting event - the Macchu Picchu avatar was also magnificient!

Tom

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Congratulations on a great trip! Thanks for the pics and the thoughts on the Tilley. I've considered one, but haven't pulled the trigger.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Craig, For those of us who haven't made the trip (and may never be able to), your photos are the "next best thing." For those of us who don't have a Tilley
(but are probably able to) your comments are quite helpful. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Flieger

Practically Family
Oh, I really love the "cool hats in exotic places"-threads here in the Lounge. Thank you KC for sharing pictures of your adventure! :eusa_clap

/F

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Great photos. My Dad visited Angkor once, in the late sixties. But he was in the back seat of an F4 Phantom on a check flight, and as such there are no photos. There is a nice painting that hangs in my grandmother's dining room, however.

-Dave

Simon82

One of the Regulars
Tilley should be paying for your trips!

:eusa_clap Craig, you make a Tilley look good -- a lot better than the models in some of the dorky pics in their catalogs.

Do you know if the AirFlo Tilleys work well at keeping the sun off the forehead (above, not below the brim)? I debated getting one, but because I'm bald I didn't want to have a "waffle tattoo" on my head from the venting every time the sun shone.

At any rate, great photos -- thanks for sharing!

RBH

Bartender
SWEET!
Im not crazy about a Tilley but you do make one look good and FUN!
Thanks for sharing such great photos with your friends here on the Lounge!

p.s. be sure to post a pic of yourself on the Adventures Gear thread at General Attire & Accouterments

Kaleponi Craig

A-List Customer
Simon82 said:
Do you know if the AirFlo Tilleys work well at keeping the sun off the forehead (above, not below the brim)? I debated getting one, but because I'm bald I didn't want to have a "waffle tattoo" on my head from the venting every time the sun shone.

No problem with any sun getting on your noggin. It's a great sun hat.

Thanks for the comments, guys. It's a great place to go if you ever get the chance...KC

jkingrph

Practically Family
I started with Fedora types by using Tilley's a couple of summers ago. They really are good summer hats and I do like that green underside of the brim.

I have several styles from that white hemp model with the 4' brim to one that is more of a classic Fedora with mesh sides.

It's strange to me but when wearing one on a very hot day and walking, they seem to intensify the effect of a cooling breeze blowing across the top of my balding head.

Simon82

One of the Regulars
No problem with any sun getting on your noggin. It's a great sun hat.

Thanks, Craig. I've got the T10 with the mesh sides, which is pretty nice but not as breezy. I'll keep the AirFlo in mind for some point down the road.

Again, I appreciate your sharing the photos -- love the scenery (particularly the temple and its tree entrance). Terrific pics.

Kaleponi Craig

A-List Customer
Anyone can go who wants to...

citRon said:
I just spent 10 minutes wishing I were you.

It's not as expensive or as difficult to get there as you may think, especially Bali. Once you get there (about $1000 round trip), living is cheap. You can get a good hotel for $20 or so. Meals are $5 to $10 (for a good tourist restaurant meal) and even cheaper in the markets or local restaurants. Cambodia is slightly more expensive to get to and for day to day living, but a heck of a lot cheaper than the US or Europe. It is one place the dollar still means something. In fact, in Cambodia, the American dollar is the local currency. How cool is that?

For my wife and me, traveling is our thing. But we tend to go to third world countries that are very interesting, like Bali and Cambodia, Peru and parts of Mexico that aren't on the American tourist track. Later this year we're thinking Thailand and Laos. Gonna be taking the Tilley on that one...KC

Mustang

One of the Regulars
Kaleponi Craig said:
It's not as expensive or as difficult to get there as you may think, especially Bali. Once you get there (about $1000 round trip), living is cheap. You can get a good hotel for $20 or so. Meals are $5 to $10 (for a good tourist restaurant meal) and even cheaper in the markets or local restaurants. Cambodia is slightly more expensive to get to and for day to day living, but a heck of a lot cheaper than the US or Europe. It is one place the dollar still means something. In fact, in Cambodia, the American dollar is the local currency. How cool is that?

Wow, I would have never guessed! Very cool.

DblCoronaMS

One of the Regulars
Very nice! Yuu should send those to Tilley.

My Tilley hasn't been anywhere exotic but it did spend a week or so floating around my garage in flood waters from Hurricane Katrina.

My Tilley is officially jealous of your Tilley!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy