Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A toast on this day, to Prohibition...

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
...coming to an end! Yes, that's right, on December 5, 1933, Utah became the 36th state to ratify the 21st Amendment to the Constitution, repealing the 18th Amendment.

So why is it still hard to find a good drink here?:)

Brad

up196

A-List Customer
Originally posted by Brad Bowers
Re: A toast on this day, to Prohibition...coming to an end! Yes, that's right, on December 5, 1933, Utah became the 36th state to ratify the 21st Amendment to the Constitution, repealing the 18th Amendment.
Well, then I guess I have no use for this anymore! :rolleyes:

Michaelson

One Too Many
What I always found amusing about 'Prohibition' is that, according to local history, Jack Daniels had warehouses packed FULL with aging whiskey when the law was enacted. They pad locked all the buildings, and gave the keys to the U.S. Government agents for safekeeping, as it was not known what would occur with the law, but distillers inventory was not to be destroyed. When the law was repealed, and the keys were handed back to the owners of Jack Daniels, not one keg of whiskey was to be found in any of the multitude of storage warehouses, even though it had been in the safe keeping of the U.S. Government, and there was no evidence of any break in either, so the 'contraband' had to be carried out the pad locked front doors, then the doors RElocked after the buildings were emptied. There was no restitution by the Government agencies responsible for the safekeeping, and no admission of guilt or otherwise by same. SO, so much for trusting Uncle Sam with your contraband booze. Personally, I think the law was officially repealed after all the warehouses were emptied.....had to get the distillers working again to refill them!;) Regards. Michaelson

There was always an abundance of Canadian whisky even though prohibition made it illegal. People were bringing it in on ships filled to the brim with the stuff. They dropped anchor just outside the three mile limit and faster boats loaded the whiskey and brought it to shore in isolated areas. That is how speak easies such as the Cliff House did it anyway. If I remember right, they hoisted the booze up through the floor of the restaurant! Any reputable speak easy had a backroom that was disguised. This is where the illegal booze was kept.
You need a speakeasy in Utah, Brad. Just sneak the stuff in through the mail as "empty antique bottles." LOL

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24