Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A trip to Hawaii

MagistrateChris

One of the Regulars
On September 7, my wife and I are flying to Hawaii. She will be there for business for a couple of days, but we're extending the trip for some R&R. Anyways, we've got Pearl harbor/the Arizona Memorial on our must-see list, of course. BUt, we're also planning on renting a car for a couple of days to see what we want to see. I've just learned of the Bowfin Museum, across from te Arizona memorial. And, my wife wants to go to the Punch Bowl.

Any other recommendations for WWII history buffs headed to Honolulu for 10 days?

If you care, we'll be staying at the Royal Hawaiian, on Waikiki.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I was stationed at Camp Smith from 1967 to 69. Camp Smith was originally Halawa Hts Navy Hospital. You'll see it in a shot of John Wayne's movie "The Fighting Seabees". If you can get up there to Halawa Heights, and visit the enlisted mens' club, you'll get a front row balcony seat of the entire south shore of the island. In front of you will be Red Hill, where the Japanes spy helped guide the planes to their targets. To the left you'll see Tripler Hospital, and as I recall the Punch Bowl is in view as well. With Diamond Head in the distance. In the opposite direction is Barber's Point. A truly spectacular vista.
There is a shooting range at Ewa beach, just west of Pearl, that is now a civilian facility. I'm sure it's changed in 40 years, but you may be able to get the feel of a WWII era camp from it. Ewa is also really gorgeous. I hope it's relatively unspoiled, compared to other areas.
When I was there the old WW II bars along Hotel St were still in business, but quickly being eclipsed by Waikiki. Downtown Honolulu, Hotel St., etc., is the Honolulu of the War.
Haleiwa, on the North Shore, is also worth a visit. It's just a charming little village. Again, much develpoped in 40 years, but still beautiful, according to this article: http://oahu.aloha-hawaii.com/hawaii/haleiwa/ .
When I left in 1969 I promised myself I'd be back. I haven't done it yet, but by God I will. Hawaii is a wonderful place.

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
Have Fun!

I was stationed at Pearl for two years and I loved it and have been back a couple of times since then. There is the USS Missouri which is on Ford Island. You can take a tour bus from the Arizona to the island. Diamond Head is also worth a look since it used to be an Army facility. Old NAS Barbers point is open to the public now and before I left they were opening an air museum their, since that was five years ago I assume it is open.
Hickam AFB also still has damage on the buildings from the attack. If you drive up to the North shore you will pass Wheeler AAF as well as Schofield Barracks. Aloha tower which is in Honolulu also has damage from the attack and you can ride an elevator to the top and see it. Downtown Waikiki has Fort Derusee, which is a parking lot now, but there is an army museum on the site as well. I could go on and on about all the great historical places on the island and not just the WWII ones. The island has such a great history outside of that time period. You would need a good two months of constant touring to see it all.

DeeDub

One of the Regulars
It may not have any WWII connection, but while you have the car, take a drive over the Pali Highway. The scenery is breathtaking. (It's the only place I can recall seeing a double rainbow.)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Ft DeRussy

Ft DeRussy was where the guys on R&R from Nam would come. They would get off the bus, stooped over like old men, with huge black eyes from the stress and fatigue. This is what you never see in war movies, the huge black eyes, the face of war. Anyway, Ft DeRussy beach is adjacent to Waikiki Beach, but a much much nicer beach. If you get a chance, stretch out on the sand there, and catch some real Hawaiian rays for me. :)

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
DeeDub said:
It may not have any WWII connection, but while you have the car, take a drive over the Pali Highway. The scenery is breathtaking. (It's the only place I can recall seeing a double rainbow.)

Just don't take pork with you over the Pali.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
This is kind of a long trek, but if you're looking for some vintage Hawaiian shirts and memorabilia, go down Kalakaua Avenue, (where the Royal Hawaiian is located) towards Diamond Head. Make a left on Kapahulu Avenue and travel about oh a mile or two. On the right hand side there is a vintage store. Darn it, I forgot the name. Oh, well, if you get lost stop by Rainbow Drive-In on Kapahulu for lunch or Leonard's Bakery for malasada's, pao doce and other Portuguese food.:D

Also, if you have a chance go into the crater at Diamond Head. It is very hot, but you can walk on the trails and see some old WWII pillboxes.

A really cool restaurant to take your wife is The Willows it's not in Waikiki but it's close by Waikiki. Ask at the concierge in the hotel. Don't forget to eat lunch at a Zippy's while driving around the island.

Take the tour of Iolani Palace and see the only throne room in the United States. It was also the Territorial Capital.

Since you're going to have a car take ride on the Kamehameha Hwy around the island. Stop off in Haleiwa for some shave ice, check out Waimea Bay, Banzai Pipeline, go down towards Kaneohe, see Crouching Lion, Rabbit Island, Chinaman's Hat, Sandy Beach, Koko Head.

Since you're from Ohio, it's best to be careful if you get lost and especially if you end up in Waianae.

Ecuador Jim

A-List Customer
Just in case you check the Lounge while you are at the Pink Lady...

Once you are at the Punch Bowl, you can hike up to the rim of the crater to the gun emplacements from the war. Spectacular views from there.

Everyone else has hit the high points. If you're headed to the Memorial, you might want to leave early, or get tickets through a tour group. I was there over Memorial Day, and was appalled at how long the wait was if you weren't in an organized group. But, it was Memorial Day weekend.

Also, as the Memorial is part of the National Park Service, you will be screened by TSA personnel. Leave your courier bags/purses in your car, or check them over by the USS Bowfin. TSA neglected to tell me this; fortunately another person told me (I went there by bus).

You might want to check out the Dole facility. Apparently Dole has left the islands, for cheaper growing areas in central america. They still have a visitor facility, and it evokes a simpler time.

Newt at the Royal also carreis Montecristi panamas, but you've probably already checked that out.
Aloha :D

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Don't forget to go to Aloha Tower and Maritime Museum. They have some great displays and you can see the 12 foot 100 lb koa surf board Duke Kahanamoku used.:eusa_clap

dostacos

Practically Family
driving into the Punch bowl is an unbelievable experience. you drive through a tunnel and it opens up to this flat round valley of grave markers.

I do believe Ernest Pyle WWII corespondent is buried there.

DeeDub

One of the Regulars
dostacos said:
driving into the Punch bowl is an unbelievable experience. you drive through a tunnel and it opens up to this flat round valley of grave markers.

The visitor center has computers set up that you can use to query the database of the "residents." They also have lists of the most popular, including Ernie Pyle and Ellison Onizuka.

PyleGrave.jpg
OnizukaGrave.jpg

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
dostacos said:

I think I have a picture of it taken after the war, let me see.

Here it is;

WWII-montage.jpg

The marker reads; "At this spot the 77th Infantry Division Lost a Buddy Ernie Pyle 18 April 1945" So that is his memorial on the island of Lejima, Japan, off of Okinawa Honto where he was killed by Nip machine gun fire. I don't know is who the soldier in the picture. This picture was from my Grandma. Perhaps it's one of her brothers.

DeeDub

One of the Regulars
Just one more, I promise...

I know I'm starting to dominate this thread, so just one more and I'll shut up.

Again, not WWII-specific, but humor is part of the aloha spirit. Don't take my word for it, just browse around the shops. This first one is on a block in Honolulu with some wonderful take-out shops. I don't remember the street, but I'll get specs from a cousin if anybody's interested.

CheapAssCigs.jpg

This one's in Hawi on the Big Island, but typical of island humor:

AnyKineStoaHawi.jpg

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm a little late coming into this thread, and I've actually never been to Hawaii before so I really can't give you any recommendations, but I wanted to wish you and your wife a safe and happy journey. I know that you're already there, so you probably won't even be seeing this, if I could I would send it telepathically to you! Have a wonderful time, treat it as an exciting adventure, do take the time to relax on the beach or by the pool sipping some crazy concoction of a drink out of half a pineapple with a fruit kabob sticking out of it, make sure you go to a luai and eat lots of spit roasted poi and other fine things. But also make sure that you have some exciting times, like climbing a volcano or going off roading in a jacked up Rover Defender.
Well, that's what I would do if I were lucky enough to have the chance to visit Hawaii. I keep saying not this year, since I've gone on so many over the past 5 years, but the good news is, this years almost over so I might be there sooner than I think!!
Enjoy yourself and the company of your wife! Take lots of pictures! I'd love to see them and hear about your journey!!! Aahhh to travel, the luckiest thing that we can do. It really does make you feel so alive, so overwhelmed. I'm totally amazed at the sites that there are to see, things that I wouldn't even be thinking about one day, I will be seeing the next. Travel is a gift, I think that everyone should take the time to do it. The good thing about it is there is always a way to make it happen.

Safe journey!!
Daisy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy