Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A very RARE Victor!

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
On Sunday I had the chance to visit a few antique shops. We happened to end up at King Richard's in Whittier CA. In the far, far, back corner a friend and I spied a mid 1920s Majestic radio set... then I was looking at a HUGE armoire, with a touch of an English Louis the XVIII style, exquisite inlay, not over styled, simple and elegant... Large double doors... short and simple legs hold this thing up... I open a door just to see how much space is inside... I see the inside wall is mirror, with white painted curved, streamlined shelves... and more mirrors, and shelves with ledges to hold cups... A BAR??? I notice smoked glass boxes in corners that conceal lights... I open up the left side... There I see blond wood record shelves, a pull out blond wood record player, and a radio built into the top left corner... with mirror trim!

I looked it over, at first I thought someone turned an armoire into a 50s entertainment center... I noticed a booklet, and a round paper top on the turn table... After reading a few things, I came to know this as an RCA Victor V-300, we were amazed by it's construction and the storage space that it provides for records... the only speed I could tell was 78 so, it had to be from the 1940s...

We return home and investigate it on Google... Turns out they don't have any photos listed on the net of this item... however we find some information about it as being a very limited high dollar item only sold to the wealthy... Such as movie stars and so forth... And it dates to about 1940... The price is around $490. and I hope to find some way to buy this, it is amazing.

I will return and take some photos of it soon... it is an amazing piece.

Chas

One Too Many
You might not want to tell the whole world about it 'till it's in your living room, otherwise...someone may have gone down and scooped it. That would bite.

Try to put it on lay away or summink.

Last edited:

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Yeah, well since RCA bought out Victor in the early 30s, they're one of a same, see? ;)

I need to take photos of this thing... it's really quite amazing. However, I seriously doubt I'd be able to give it a proper home seeing our place is very small... And the money is not flowing in as I'd like it to. If anyone would like some info on it, please let me know... I'm willing to pass it onto someone who could give it a good home and keep it away from anyone with anything but good intentions.

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Hmmm,

The first thing I thought of when you mentioned the bar inside is the "Radiobar" company of America. I'm sure there were other companies that did the same business. Radiobar built custom cabinets that typically had Philco radios inside.

I've seen a Radiobar or two even make an appearance in a couple classic gangster movies.

Check the back insides a little more, maybe there's a cabinet maker tag?

Here's a little info on the Philco models:
http://www.philcoradio.com/history/radiobar.htm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters