Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Vintage vanity set???

Cherriexo

Familiar Face
So I have the chance to buy an awesome 'vanity set.'

Its a hand held mirror,one small glass jar,2 bigger glass jars,and a brush.All matching pink floral pattern from the 40's.At 68 bucks.

What would the jars have been used for? Creams? Powders?

I wanna buy it b/c it's in such great condition,but is pricey (maybe I dont know how those sets work price wise!) and I dont know the practicality for it.

:eek:fftopic: Spent the afternoon trying on at least 40 hats.I dont think I can pull off hats,they all looked horrible but they were cheap ($18-$22) and as the place is going out of business everything is 20% off.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I have a comb, brush and mirror, all heavy silver that my mom bought me. They are beautiful! Unfortunately I don't have much of a bathroom (I have a sink and mirror in my bedroom), so I don't have anywhere to display it. I also have a Depression Glass powder jar that is too cute.

I can't wait until I havve the space to justify buying a complete vanity set!

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
I suppose you could use the jars for anything you like. My guess is they might have housed cotton balls, qutips, which were invented in the 1920's, or they could have housed creams or powders. I have a set from the 1920's made from what I believe is Catalan.

Emmababy

One of the Regulars
as a perofessional layabout, i get to watch a lot of daytime TV. Which includes about 3 antique programmes a day.

From what I gather $68 is more than a reasonable price for what you've described.

Cherriexo

Familiar Face
pigeon toe said:
I have a comb, brush and mirror, all heavy silver that my mom bought me. They are beautiful! Unfortunately I don't have much of a bathroom (I have a sink and mirror in my bedroom), so I don't have anywhere to display it. I also have a Depression Glass powder jar that is too cute.

I can't wait until I havve the space to justify buying a complete vanity set!

Thats kinda how I feel.

I'm thinking as to where the heck I'll put it since I dont actually have a vanity.

But it's so pretty.

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
Cherriexo said:
Thats kinda how I feel.

I'm thinking as to where the heck I'll put it since I dont actually have a vanity.

But it's so pretty.

Is there space on your bathroom counter or your dresser for it? It does sound too lovely to pass up!

--Leslie

Cherriexo

Familiar Face
eh.not really.

i think ill go back next weekend to purchase it,and hold off with it in public view until I have "somewhere" to put it.I nearly died when I saw it,wished I had my camera with me to take pics for you girls.

Brooksie

One Too Many
The vanity set described does sound like a good deal, I found a mirror, comb and brush set at a antiuqe (bad spelling sorry-I'm to lazy to pull out my dictionary) store for $30.00 (it his made of heavy silver metal and the teeth of the comb look like bone), I actually have a little thick octigon shaped glass jar with a sterling sliver lid that I put with the set (these little jars like the one I mentioned above are from the victorian era and when women used to comb or brush there long hair they would save it in the jar and when the jar filled up they would take it out and this is what "I think?" they would use for hair jewelry-after a bunch was saved or they would use them, like a ratz-or hair filler for there upstyles). I got my little jar from my mom who got it from a garage sale years ago for a buck or two and know it is worth a lot. I place these vanity items on top of a vanity mirror trey which looks to be from the 1950's on top of my dresser. The vanity mirror, comb and brush set has a victorian look to it which I am sure is a reproduction but it is still an antique probably from the 40's.

Brooksie

epr25

Practically Family
Well I would have sworn that there was a thread some where on here about vintage new furniature. I can't find it? So I appologize for the wrong placement of this.

I am redoing my bedroom. I would like to do a tropical theme. I would really like to make a barkcloth beadspread but with a cat I don;t want to risk him damaging it. Has anyone seen any cool bedding that might worl with a tropical tiki room?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80