Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Zippo for pipe and cigar smokers

shortbow

Practically Family
A while back on here somewhere I mentioned that I was going to order a Thunderbird butane insert for my old Zippo, because the gasoline fumes spoiled my smoke.

I got it a couple of days ago, and just wanted to report that it works really great. Gives my the best of both worlds. If, like me you like Zippos for the vintage vibe and all that but can't stand the stink and taste, I would suggest you give the Thunderbird a try.

At eleven dollars it's hard to go wrong. Dave at Walker Briar Works told me I'd love it, and he was telling the truth.

Effingham

A-List Customer
Brilliant! Thanks for the heads-up on this. I love Zippos, but would never use one on my pipes or cigars. This makes me all kinds of happy. :)

Big_e

Practically Family
Same here. I just now remember the thread and am gonna give the Thunderbird inserts a try. I love my zippo and the metallic click sound it makes but the fuel smell ruins a good cigar. I hate the way the fuel sometimes leaks and irritates my skin through my pockets after I refill them.
Ernest

I still like my Slim-Zippo.
Since I repositioned the wick in the cotton pads, I have no trouble to pull it a little out for a new tip, when neccessary. Storing the replacement flint in the bottom whole.

Yes, the Zippo benzine is more or less clean enough to light pipe. But I was surprised, that the difference between Zippo benzine and plain old cheap wash benzine isn't so much. I thought, the wash benzine would be super stinky, but it's not that worse, in my opinion. If someone is smoking cigarettes, it would probably be good enough. For pipe, I would prefer Zippo benzine.

But, when it comes to compare my still reliable gas-(metal) Clipper with my benzine-Zippo:

Clipper 1:0 Zippo IMGP9628.JPG IMGP9629.JPG

Last edited:
A while back on here somewhere I mentioned that I was going to order a Thunderbird butane insert for my old Zippo, because the gasoline fumes spoiled my smoke.

I got it a couple of days ago, and just wanted to report that it works really great. Gives my the best of both worlds. If, like me you like Zippos for the vintage vibe and all that but can't stand the stink and taste, I would suggest you give the Thunderbird a try.

At eleven dollars it's hard to go wrong. Dave at Walker Briar Works told me I'd love it, and he was telling the truth.
I converted all my old Zippos to the butane insert. Work great with no odour.

Edward

Bartender
Is the butane easy to fill? I spent a fair bit on a nice gas pipe-lighter a few years ago, but I could never et the damn thing to refill enough for more than a single light. User-error, I'm sure, but I really do need an idiot-proof version...

Coming back from grocery store, our smalltown REWE. The Atomic lighter gas is indeed ISO-Butane only, which is recommended by Clipper, too!

And I got a bottle Atomic lighter benzine, too.

Test splash on my hands:

Atomic 0:1 Zippo

Yep, the Atomic is the classic smelly benzine, like wash benzine. The Zippo is cleaner.

Attachments

• IMGP9631.JPG
    IMGP9631.JPG
    251.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMGP9632.JPG
    IMGP9632.JPG
    336 KB · Views: 32
Now sprinkled Atomic benzine in my Zippo. Yeah, of course more smelly, but I think, it's not that bad.

Maybe, light benzine was much more stinky in the 70s/80s?

Don't know about your Zippos, but I can tell you def., that my Slim-Zippo doesn't like, when its wick gets too much cooled down.

So, I now store it in my living-room.

Zippo heatbank-handwarmer, anyone else? :)

I only knew the catalytic pocket ovens, but not these electric ones.
Saw them randomly for the very first time, today and spontaneously grabbed one. Funny and useful toy, in my opinion.
The funny thing about it is, that the lowest temp-setting, while having it in my pocket, is even sufficient for me.

Attachments

• IMGP9670.JPG
    IMGP9670.JPG
    203.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMGP9671.JPG
    IMGP9671.JPG
    214.3 KB · Views: 21

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo