Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

About the place my Aero A-2 order. Smooth or Jerky Russet?

Justhandguns

Practically Family
I am about the place my order for an Aero A-2, very likely to be the 1940 model. I just can't decide on whether I want Jerky Russet or a Smooth Russet. I've looked at some pics from the Aero USA website and found that the jerky ones are more reddish, which I like, while the smooth russet ones are more like light brown in colour. I want a smooth leather finish and yet I also want the kind of orangy red colour. Any suggestions?

subject101

One of the Regulars
I've tried some smooth leather A2s and I might be wrong but I had the feeling that rugged texture is more authentic in this kind of jacket.

Aether

One of the Regulars
Personally I prefer the look of the Jerky, it's got a lot of character. Regarding the colour, you'd probably be best asking Aero to pick a hide out that best matches what you want, I bet they've got loads of different shades of russet!

blethook

One of the Regulars
I am in the same boat: choosing between smooth & jerky russet, but looks like you have a difference preference. Have you asked Amanda for samples?

Based on the samples I have the smooth russet is VERY smooth but also very supple & soft. I get the feeling with enough wear it'll develop grain & texture, but won't be the same as the jerky russet (I've given the smooth russet sample a "hot water treatment.")

I really like the colour of the smooth russet, however. It's more "correct" as it has more brown tone to it. Whereas the jerky russet has a lot more reddish/orange tone to it. Based on the samples I have (not sure how representative they are) the smooth russet is also thinner & therefore more pliable.

I think I'm going to give the smooth russet a try (a 1942 Anniversary A-2)

I am about the place my order for an Aero A-2, very likely to be the 1940 model. I just can't decide on whether I want Jerky Russet or a Smooth Russet. I've looked at some pics from the Aero USA website and found that the jerky ones are more reddish, which I like, while the smooth russet ones are more like light brown in colour. I want a smooth leather finish and yet I also want the kind of orangy red colour. Any suggestions?

Justhandguns

Practically Family
blethook, yes I know that the smooth HH is very supple. I actually have obtained an 1938 Aero with Smooth Seal which is very nice. I also have the much stiffer Eastman .50Cal which I wear most of the time. This time I want a lighter colour jacket with a hint of red or orange, regardless of whether it is 100% faithful repro. I may request to have a more reddish smooth leather when I make the order, I hope they can sort that out for me.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Yes, those '30s jackets had no character at all. lol
Who would want to look like a 40yo 1st louie flying a blue and yellow box kite?
Show_of_Strength.jpg

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I'm a big fan of the jerky, myself. I would very much like to have a russet colour A2 eventually. Currently, I have an Eastman in seal horse, and an Aero in seal goat. When comes the time for the russet, I plan to go with Aero's Real Deal model; I know it's probably not the very most accurate repro of the contract it nominally apes, but it's much cheaper than many other options, and ideal for my purposes as civilian wear. I love the jerky look, myself.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Yes, those '30s jackets had no character at all. lol
Who would want to look like a 40yo 1st louie flying a blue and yellow box kite?
Show_of_Strength.jpg

I would!!!

As for the hides; I have a smooth and jerky 3x3 sample from aero. I have carried them in my pocket of another A-2 for about a year now, they were folded in half . The jerky developed a nice grain while the smooth has very little grain or wrinkles.

Last edited:

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Just placed the order, so I am going for the 40-3785 jacket with Smooth Russet + Dark Berry knits. They still haven't got back to me yet, so let's see.

blethook

One of the Regulars
I thought you were going to go with the jerky hide? What made you changed your mind? I still haven't put my order in...Still thinking & can't decide :confused:

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Well, I want a smooth supple one just for dressing up!!! I think I have the good real deal look for my Eastman already! I am also ordering it with the 101st Airborne 506th PIR patches. Don't know about the delivery time tough, probably Feb? Or even March.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy