Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Accents, whats your Favourite?????

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Thora Zine said:
but I love the working class Dublin accent.

[huh]

Wha? Are ye bleedin' kiddin' me?

intermission_2003_xl_01.jpg

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Thora Zine said:
Ooooo! Colin! "Yer man would lick it off a scabby leg."

My young sister in law saw that being filmed and she was actually in the scene where he robs the deli. It was filmed in Rathfarnham Shopping Center about 5 min walk from here....

:p

Mojito

One Too Many
One of the most entertaining imitations of an Irish accent I've ever heard came from a Dublin journalist/author mate - having travelled all over Ireland in pursuit of material for his non-fiction works, he delights in providing his interpretations for visitors from overseas. Once, in a fairly remote part of County Kerry, we spotted a sheep standing by the dirt track we were travelling. Pulling over the car, he wound down the window and had a five minute, rather one-sided conversation in local dialect with the bemused animal. It almost defies phoenetic reproduction, but I was on the floor of the car with laughter.

He also denies - with a very straight face - that such an internationally travelled, cosmopolitan gentleman such as himself has any accent whatsoever (and then proceeds to work "t'ree-hundred and t'irty-t'ree" into the conversation). Amazingly, he once found his on-screen time in a joint US-UK documentary cut down, although it was primarily based on his research. The UK team were not impressed, and had to inform him it was because the American side of the production were concerned that his accent would cause problems on that side of the pond.

Paddy, I love the North Welsh accent! Second only to Irish. It's a fine, defiant, strong sounding delivery. I've travelled a bit through Barmouth up to areas around Conwy while researching a merchant mariner who lived in the area, and loved the local accents.

Brooksie

One Too Many
jitterbugdoll said:
I should add that when I lived in Georiga, I hated Southern accents. lol

In Arizona, most people come from somewhere else, so you hear a real mix.

Funny, because when I lived in Texas I hated Texas accents and now that I do not live there anymore I love them.

Brooksie

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
I love listening to people talk. So for me, any accent except "Urban."

And from a woman, Enlish or Southeastern USA.

Lee

"In six days the Lord created the heavens and the earth and all the wonders therein. There are some of us who feel that He might have taken just a little more time." - Kinky Friedman

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Irish is soooo nice.
So is the british language.
...and danish sounds like a throatdisease!

But actually I also fancy when other nations speaks - or try to speak - english.
Especially frenchmen and italians. Can be very chaming.
But also swedes (sorry) it sounds hillarious with a swedish accent..."Et tuk me twanty years to lørn to say jelly and now they changed it to jaaam." (Guesse it's only funny live:eusa_doh: )

My english has been ruined by too many westerns when I was a kid. I have always been told by brits AND americans, that they were absolutely sure, that I came from Australia!
Something else I have also experienced is when I have been in an englishspeaking country for a few days or so, I tend to pickup the accent.
Must be my musical ear:rolleyes:

Sweet Polly Purebred

A-List Customer
Spitfire said:
But actually I also fancy when other nations speaks - or try to speak - english.
Especially frenchmen and italians. Can be very chaming.
But also swedes (sorry) it sounds hillarious with a swedish accent..."Et tuk me twanty years to lørn to say jelly and now they changed it to jaaam." (Guesse it's only funny live:eusa_doh: )

No, that was pretty funny written too!

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
The reason I ended up performing on the radio instead of just writing the scripts is my knack for accents and daft voices. While this can provide amusement* it can also lead to trouble: my accent has a tendency to drift towards that of the person I'm talking to if I'm not watching it, and every so often somebody wonders if I'm taking the mickey...

When I'm recording notes to myself (and when I'm using the radio for comms) I sound very 'BBC', but everywhere else depends entirely on who I'm talking to.

Accents to hear? I tend to like softer accents from Scotland, Ireland, my native Cornwall and most of Europe. Like most men, I'm a sucker for a Southern Belle, but the girls from New Orleans... Yes, well. Ahem.

* Ask to hear my 'Heroes of the Counterculture' routine: William S. Burroughs, Robert Anton Wilson and Hunter S. Thompson, with a side order of Lou Reed and Bob Dylan if the wind's in the right direction.

Sweet Polly Purebred

A-List Customer
Doc" Devereux]The reason I ended up performing on the radio instead of just writing the scripts is my knack for accents and daft voices. While this can provide amusement* it can also lead to trouble: my accent has a tendency to drift towards that of the person I'm talking to if I'm not watching it said:
* Ask to hear my 'Heroes of the Counterculture' routine: William S. Burroughs, Robert Anton Wilson and Hunter S. Thompson, with a side order of Lou Reed and Bob Dylan if the wind's in the right direction.[/SIZE]

Isn't that funny, I do the same thing and I always catch myself because I know they think I'm takin the mick .. which I'm not, I just love the tones and inflections of other people's voices.

The Creole accent is lovely, I'd forgotten about that one .. I watch "The Big Easy" for the accents alone ..

I may regret this, but can we hear your 'Heroes of the Counterculture' routine? If you have an MP3, I can host it for ya ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic