Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Achieving that vintage look, via PhotoShop

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
There isnt one correct formula, it is all about finding what filters look the best for your preference. Play around with pixels to make it look more grainy. over saturize some action shots can look very cool aswell, together with upping other filters. To get that painted pinup style takes (for me) quite a lot of tweaking, but generally think fewer and bolder colors instead of the hundreds that goes into modern photography.

It all depends on what you want: perfect hollywood soft focus head shots or the grainier photos people took themselves or something else entirely.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Here's my original photo:

3683391989_8f9c91eaf6.jpg

Here's the finished result:

3572756254_7a20874b21.jpg

This is what I did (using photoshop).

1. Started by duplicating the picture as a layer so as not to destroy the original in case of mistakes.

2.Ever so slightly upped the contrast

3. Desaturated the picture, rather than converting to greyscale.

4. Added a border, which began as a black border with a white middle

5. Invert it to white with a black middle

6. Set the layer to 'screen'.

7. Then I used the paintbrush tool in black and painted out my face and body to remove the 'grain'.

And voila! Would anyone like a pictoral step by step? I can do that after the weekend if you would.

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Fleur De Guerre nailed it with the key move. Instead of changing to "black and white" use "desaturate". You can also play with the color, hue and saturation settings for certain colors like blues or reds or greens to achieve the soft, almost but not quite black and white like you can see in the movie "The Lost Battalion"

Matt

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Here is a pic that I desaturated, then used some filters to generate "noise", to pixilate the image slightly and to add lens flare like I was taking the pic towards the sun. It's either that or I used the "old photo" filter in GIMP the editing program I use. I can't remember now how I did this pic.

VBAirshow3.jpg

Matt

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
Whipped this up in Photobucket, would love to have photoshop though.

Before:
sc0000.jpg

After:
sc0000-2.jpg

I did it with a combination of sepia, old photo, film grain and for the hair, fix red eye button. Sharpening the photo 3 times gives all of the textures a muted fuzzy look which I think gives it that vintage flair after adding the Sepia and whatnot.

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
MPicciotto said:
Anybody else here use the open source program "GIMP"? I do out of convenience because it came with my version of Linux.

Matt

I downloaded GIMP yesterday and have been tinkering with it. I'm happy with it since I don't have photoshop. It does the job.

Davep

One of the Regulars
Here is a nice flickr webgroup of people who share "dust and noise" shots which can be used by those wanting to make period shots. Then you use the "linear burn" tool to melt the two images together

http://www.flickr.com/groups/ttvdust/pool/

Another way to do this is to print a full black picture, and then scratch up the resulting copy on cement. Then scan it, and reverse the image.

Here is another thread to help creating the photo on photo paper look
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=42235

Also those so inclined here is another great tutorial on antiquing an image
http://pshero.com/archives/antique-ace-of-spades

final.jpg

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Can you believe that came straight off the camera like that? It was a funny time of the day or something, the photographer swears he didn't fiddle with them, and I believe him, since he sent them about 10 minutes after he got home from our shoot! lol

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Story said:
All this photoshopping into vintage backgrounds reminds me of the last scene in Kubrick's version of Stephen King's THE SHINING.
http://www.obsessedwithfilm.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/the-shining-photo-386x500.jpg

Stanley Kubrick:

"[It was] a photograph taken in 1921 which we found in a picture library. I originally planned to use extras, but it proved impossible to make them look as good as the people in the photograph. So I very carefully photographed Jack, matching the angle and the lighting of the 1921 photograph, and shooting him from different distances too, so that his face would be larger and smaller on the negative. This allowed the choice of an image size which when enlarged would match the grain structure in the original photograph. The photograph of Jack's face was then airbrushed in to the main photograph, and I think the result looked perfect. Every face around Jack is an archetype of the period."

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Hmm.... thats an original photo (minus Jack or Heminway depending on the photo) and people are wearing both white and black tie to the event...

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Hemingway Jones said:
I had a little fun with that a few years ago.

Two important clues to getting this just right is to 1) get the angle of the camera correct . The photographer was probably up on a ladder. And 2) get the angle of the flash correct. It looks like it came slightly from the right.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Quigley Brown said:
Two important clues to getting this just right is to 1) get the angle of the camera correct . The photographer was probably up on a ladder. And 2) get the angle of the flash correct. It looks like it came slightly from the right.
That was probably natural light. There isn't a flash made that cover the entire room.

My attempt above was just a rough two second ordeal done for MySpace to be funny... Or not, as it goes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters