Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Across the Pond and Stuff!

Foofoogal

Banned
I have a friend who just got back on a whirlwind trip to England, France and Italy.
I live in Texas and have taken up wearing vintage and mixing and matching new and old. One thing I am seriously doing is trying to now wear skirts everyday or sundresses. I have found it so much cooler temperature wise than pants or shorts even. It is around 96 every day with heat index of about 102.
I even got inspired to make some skirts as I am now teaching my grandbabies to sew.
Anyway when my friend got back she thought I looked so cute. lol :eusa_clap
She told me in Europe almost everyone is wearing skirts as well as tights and even leggings. They stuck out like tourist with jeans and capris.
I have always believed Europe is about 4 years ahead of us in USA on styles and then California tends to get it and then about 2 years later it comes to Texas.
I saw alot of the leggings and skirts also in Canada last year and alot of tartan or plaid.
Can anyone across the pond say what they are seeing along these lines and is there a bigger overall trend to vintage mainstreaming?
It is so liberating to wear a skirt and hilarious really. Everyone keeps asking me why I am dressed up and all I am wearing is sandals, skirt and simple top. Have we moved so far away from dressing like girls?
I would also like to say deals can be had on places other than ebay and people forget. I see alot of little sundresses on the mall I am on and they don't fit me but are so cute and so reasonable.

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
When I was in Sweden last week girls wore leggins and short skirts. Here in Germany we pretty much wear tops and skirts (no leggins!!!) as well as dresses recently because it is so warm.

I don´t think we are very ahead of America cause the fashion-mags here display the fashions of American celebrities and rarely something more national. On the other had H & M is one of the major influences for young people here and that´s a Swedish company. We also get some Italian influences. So I wouldn´t say we are ahead, but we are more mixed in our influences.

Lola Valentine

One of the Regulars
Over here, our fashion is the same as in America, I think, because as RetroModelSari said, all the fashion magazines are full of American celebrities & the clothes that they wear. A female in Scotland would most definately not look out of place in jeans, & I can't remember the last time I saw anybody in a dress during the day. You do see some girls in skirts & leggings. I always get the "are you going somewhere?" or "why are you dressed up?" comments.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
Lola Valentine said:
Over here, our fashion is the same as in America, I think, because as RetroModelSari said, all the fashion magazines are full of American celebrities & the clothes that they wear. A female in Scotland would most definately not look out of place in jeans, & I can't remember the last time I saw anybody in a dress during the day. You do see some girls in skirts & leggings. I always get the "are you going somewhere?" or "why are you dressed up?" comments.

I agree. I think that the most popular fashion over here are tight jeans and ballet pumps so it is not true that everyone is swanning around in a skirt! Now it's hotting up dresses and skirts are more frequent but the most popular look, I think, is to try and emulate Kate Moss. Boring! You can usually spot a tourist in London by the way they dress lol

Miss Sis

One Too Many
London is completely different from anywhere. People wear alsorts and skirts aren't out of place although the leggings/skirts/long tops are all over the place like a rash.

I do find it is ahead of the states where clothes are, I think, very bland. At least high street clothes are a bit more colourful and interesting.

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
Miniskirts worn with leggings/footless tights is a bit last season here. Lots and lots of girls still wear it though, probably because it's practical in colder weather and more modest than just a miniskirt.

Denmark is pretty provincial when it comes to fashion, all the girls just imitate each other (although you do see the few very adventurous ones). But generally speaking I think people are quite fashion forward, despite the lack of diversity.

Sweden is the best for menswear! Swedish blokes are so well-dressed and not afraid of standing out or being accused of being effeminate.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was going to vehemently disagree and say that everyone here wears dresses and skirts regularly, until I realized:
1) Not everyone is doing it. It might just be me, and I don't notice anyone else;
2) I live right near NYC, a fashion capital of the world, so we aren't necessarily representative.

For the record, I loathe leggings. If it's too short to wear without what is basically SPANDEX, DONT BUY IT! lol

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
Foofoogal said:
So, what is new in Sweden if leggings and skirts are last season? [huh]

Well, in Denmark I'd say it's very baggy tops and dresses. Big scarves. Early 1990's style. And Louise Brooks bobs! Can't tell about Sweden though :)

It's fun to hear what people wear in other countries! Especially for someone like me who lives in a very small country.

klara

One of the Regulars
Foofoogal said:
So, what is new in Sweden if leggings and skirts are last season? [huh]

Leggings and skirts are still very big in Sweden. Other than that it's mostely tight jeans, ballet pumps and tunics.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
Norwegians were skirts, yes, but capris and such are also hugely popular. But when I visited Denmark in may, it were everywhere! Seems like the womans uniform in Copenhagen is:

-short denim skirts
-leggins
-ballet flats or trainer
-HUGE sunglasses balancing on tiny noses.

What Norwegians look like, I can hardly tell. You cant see it from the inside, you know! But the not-so-fashionable people, especially in smaller places, still like to wear the infamous "all-weather jacket". Often, the husband and wife has matching jackets!

Allv%C3%A6rsjakke%20side.jpg

The young people often wear "hipper" versions of this jacket. That is Norwegian style for you!

catspyjamas

New in Town
I started looking to see what the fashion word is here but honestly couldn't see a big trend in anything specific. The younger crowd : teens to early 30's were wearing skinny leg jeans and tunic shirts. Very 80's with chunky bracelets and oversized sunglasses. Most women (regardless of age) are wearing flat shoes - ballerinas - in any type of material ; canvas, leather, sparkly etc. but that has been around since last year. The colors are beige, white, grey and brown. The new colors are reds and blacks with some shops banking on brown, teal and turquoise. Not a lot of leggings under skirts (Gack). Geometric patterns for tops, skirts and dresses. Layers.

What bugs me is that women/girls all dress the same depending on the age-group and social level. Sheep ! Affordable fashion is NOT eclectic enough in Paris.

I will try to discretely snap some photos of streetwear and post them if I have time.

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
I wanted to mow down all the little fashion lemmings in my old high school last year and when I visited this year for all wearing the same leggings/jean mini/long t-shirt/flats combo... all with big sunglasses and too many highlights... bunch a' bug-eyed lycra clones... lol

Renee

Familiar Face
Foofoogal said:
She told me in Europe almost everyone is wearing skirts as well as tights and even leggings. They stuck out like tourist with jeans and capris.

A lot of skirts and dresses (though I see many more skirts) are worn in Europe in the summer, because A/C is pretty rare. I've only seen younger women wearing leggings, though I can't say it was a "big trend", and definitely not now! (Weather currently is in the mid-80's F in Heidelberg, where I live.) Tights are pretty common in the winter with skirts and boots.

I see plenty of jeans and capris over here (just got back from Belgium and France), so I'm not sure why your friend thought they stuck out. Maybe she was noticing the skirts more, so thought that's what "everyone" was wearing? I have noticed that European women tend to wear dresses more often for casual wear than American women do.

Foofoogal said:
I have always believed Europe is about 4 years ahead of us in USA on styles and then California tends to get it and then about 2 years later it comes to Texas.

I'm laughing because I see far more 80's influences in Europe than I would have ever thought possible! It's just amazing how those styles never seem to die over here. And a lot of Europeans apparently didn't get the memo on how they're supposed to dress better and be more stylish than Americans! Stay over here/travel enough and you'll find that they can offend the fashion police just as much as we can. lol

The only country I've been in where I can say that the people consistently dress well and look good is Italy. I used to live there, and was always amazed at how well turned out the Italians always were. Even the construction workers in their fluorescent orange suits looked sharp!

SarahJane

New in Town
Flamming June in the Uk

Over here in the Uk , the unflattering smock top/dress seems to be everywhere,
I appreciate that it can hide a mulitude of sins but it just looks a little like a tent.
Generally covered in a geometric bold print with a strong 60's feel , over jeans, leggings or just on it's own.

It is relatively easy to find some pretty summer dresses in most high street shops , now if only we had something approximating to summer weather , I could be wearing one right now.

Vanessa Anne

Familiar Face
SarahB is right. The shapeless smock with footless tights and flat shoes is all the rage in the UK.

It's a great look if you are 17, thin and over 5"9.

Otherwise you just end up looking like a blob!

Tight jeans are all the rage as well. It's a shame really because it's a really hard look to pull off and most girls just do not have the figures to wear it well. You end up seeing some sights that's for sure!

image1l1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy