Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Actor Kills Cop, then is shot, dies

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Posted on Sat, Dec. 10, 2005

Cop shooting suspect was once rising star

LARRY McSHANE

Associated Press

NEW YORK - Just a dozen years ago, Lillo Brancato Jr. was going to be a star. The unknown actor earned critical acclaim opposite his idol, Robert De Niro, in the 1993 movie "A Bronx Tale." He played the Oscar winner's son in the story of a teen torn between two role models - a local mobster and his dad - in a heavily Italian Bronx neighborhood.

From there, Brancato went on to appear in more than a dozen films, including "Renaissance Man," "Crimson Tide," "Enemy of the State" and "The Adventures of Pluto Nash." Brancato later enjoyed a recurring role on "The Sopranos," eventually getting executed by fictional mob boss Tony Soprano in one of the series' more memorable departures.

But on Saturday, the actor was far from the bright lights and red carpets of Hollywood fame. Instead, police said, he was breaking into the basement of a vacant Bronx house when a gunfight erupted and an off-duty city police officer was killed.

Brancato was just 16 when De Niro launched a search for non-professionals to appear in his 1993 directorial debut, the film version of Chazz Palminteri's play "A Bronx Tale." Brancato was discovered by a casting director strolling along the sands at Jones Beach; he came out of the water and wowed him with impressions of De Niro and Joe Pesci.

In a New York Times profile, he was described as "friendly, earnest, sweet-tempered, a fast talker, a salesman, the kind of goofy tough guy who once upon a time used to hang out on a city street corner." Brancato, 29, was raised in the Yonkers by adoptive parents, and he still resided in the city just north of the Bronx.

Brancato, born in Bogota, Colombia, was adopted when he was 4 months old. "I consider myself Italian," he once said. "I was raised to eat pasta."

In 1999-2000, he appeared in a half-dozen episodes of "The Sopranos" as a dim-witted aspiring mobster. In one episode, his character worked a high-stakes card game where the players included Frank Sinatra Jr.

Brancato also starred in the short-live TV mob show "Falcone," and guest-starred in a 2002 episode of "NYPD Blue."

His most recent appearance in the headlines came in June, when Brancato was arrested by Yonkers police after they discovered four glassine bags of heroin during a routine traffic stop.

Doh!

One Too Many
"In 1999-2000, he appeared in a half-dozen episodes of "The Sopranos" as a dim-witted aspiring mobster. In one episode, his character worked a high-stakes card game where the players included Frank Sinatra Jr."

I thought the DeNiro film was pretty good, and I remember him in "The Sopranos." But after reading this, it now appears he wasn't really acting after all...

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Just goe to show...

Stupid is as stupid does...

Here's an aspiring actor with the world literally at his fingertips, getting hooked on dope, using up all his money and sliding downhill.

Bada Bing, now,forgetaboutit!

GraveRobberGreg

Familiar Face
Theres no room in my life for COP killers. On dope is no excuse for actions like that. This is a very touchy subject for me since I just retired in March from the Prince Georges County Police Department where I spent 16 years protecting and serving. I have seen friends die in the line of duty. I have been to more police funerals then I wanted to attend. I have always said, "If you take a life then you should give your own" I'm very much for the death penalty. I hope this doesnt cause any problems with anyone and I dont want to start up any kinda "death penalty" argument. This is just the opinion of one police officer who put his life on the line everyday for a county of people whom more than half didnt even like us or respect us.

God bless the Family of the Police Officer who died doing a job that most people couldnt handle or even want to do. God bless all those in uniform who do the same everyday just to make our little piece of the world a little more safe.

For those of you wondering....I retired due to my 4th back injury in 6 years. I ended up having back surgery in 99 after hurting it on an arson investigation. I ended up in several on duty accidents inthe span of 5 years. My last accident caused me my job when I was going after a stolen vehicle and got struck on the passenger side by a truck. I still miss the job that I loved everyday but can no longer hold the position. Yea it sucks to be retired at only 35 but I find it a blessing cause now I can spend all the time I want with my 2 year old daughter who has never know "Daddy " to work. They always say that hings happen for a reason....I guess my daughter is my reason.

Sorry if this bothers anyone but I had to let off a little steam. :rage:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner