Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Memorable picking grounds

This seems as good a forum as any to tell of the more, um, interesting(?) people, places, and circumstances you’ve encountered in your searches for vintage stuff.

A dozen or so years ago I arranged to meet a guy in Tacoma who had listed a bookcase for sale. I met him at his home, a craftsman style bungalow dating from the 1910s or ’20s, I’d guess.

He led me to another house much like it, directly across the alley, which served mostly as his storage unit. It was just crammed full of STUFF, furniture mostly. But crowded as it was, it wasn’t a haphazard array, and it wasn’t landfill fodder. The fellow knew what he had there, and where it was, and had stories of how it came into his possession.

I didn’t buy the bookcase, but I did buy a nice midcentury chair for 50 bucks, I think it was.

So33

One of the Regulars
I answered an ad for dining room set. House was nice mid century. Lady had good quality furniture sets to fit a few homes. Said she cleared her parents, her in-laws and aunts estates and couldn’t part with the Heirloom furniture. Unfortunately people want new stuff from Ikea or Costco instead of the real craftsman made in USA. On that subject last week I went with my Son-in-law to pick up an Ethan Allen wall unite she was buying for $180. Lady selling it had in drawer receipt from 1993 $5,326 purchase price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner