Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quick Himel Brothers Review

whitebananafarmer

New in Town
I know there's been a lot of discussion on Himel Brothers on here. It's been helpful for me, and I wanted to contribute my own experience which was overwhelmingly positive.

I ordered my jacket towards the end of last year, which was an Imperial model in medium brown Shinki. For context, I am not at all new to the world of leather jackets, having started with Aero leather >10 years ago and gradually expanding / branching out to Real McCoy's (RMC), Buzz Rickson, Rainbow Country, some vintage stuff (in particular a Schott I really like), Y-2 Leather, Lewis Leathers, etc. But I did find Himel's designs to be interesting and was intrigued by his proclamations of superior patterns and thought I would pull the trigger. The jackets are definitely on the pricier side, and I understand that, but I'm in the fortunate situation that I can prioritize fit / cut over money.

Perhaps past grievances with Himel might have been with different assistants, but working with Reilly has been utterly pleasant and efficient. She has a great dynamic with Dave and knows when to reign him in as needed. Dave himself I've found to be a great guy during our two live discussions. He is a bit quirky and very confident in himself and his products, but from what I can tell is absolutely dedicated to getting the customer the right fit and making him / her happy. He's willing to put time into it and answer any and all questions. Perhaps sometimes when things don't go perfectly, it's because people aren't putting in sufficient upfront time / work to make sure they get what they want?

Anyway, the ordering process was incredibly thorough. They have you take tons of different measurements of your body (much more than the standard chest, shoulder, sleeve length, body length for typical jacket measurements), send pictures of your body wearing a bunch of different stuff, and also request that you send in a jacket you already have that fits you well. This could be a leather jacket or even a suit jacket; I ended up sending in a bespoke suit jacket. I can't remember the exact timelines, but I thought it was super reasonable. If I remember right, it was 3 -4 months between when I placed the order and I received my jacket and that included the year-end holiday season.

When I got my jacket, the first thing I noticed was the incrediblely good fit in the chest and shoulders... I have extremely sloped shoulders, and I also work out a decent amount and so have more of a v-shape. A lot of jacket patterns are much more blocky... I have found this of Aero, which I love but honestly doesn't fit me a amazing, as well as of the Japanese makers. According to Dave, the Japanese makers are more for a blocky and tubular Japanese body type, which is definitely what I've noticed in my RMC and FW jackets - they don't really accomadate a v-shape and don't taper very well. The Himel jacket fit amazing in all the key areas.

However, there were problems with this first jacket. The most glaringly obvious was that it was (for my taste) too long. If I remember right, the back length was 25" which was too long for my 5'10" height and build. This was especially the case as I have short legs relative to my torso and consequently only ever wear high-waisted trousers. The jacket length was not good for this and interfered with my ability to get to the pockets and of course more importantly just didn't look great / proportional for my build. The other issue was that some of the stitchwork around the chest pocket simply wasn't good. I don't care too much about it, but for the price it stuck out a bit. I also did think the chest pocket by default was slightly too high which I had moved down later. One thing to note for Himel's patterns - I think by default they just make longer body length jackets, so if you don't say anything you might get a jacket that's longer than expected for a certain traditional type of jacket that one might have in mind.

I brought these issues up to Dave and Reilly, and they handled it very graciously. I was very excited, given the jacket was nearly perfect, and I've never actually worn any patterns that accomadated my sloped shoulders and athletic build so well. I mentioned to them that I wanted to this first jacket fixed, but that if that was done right I wanted to order a few more colors / leathers. They took all this in stride and offered to take the jacket back and in the event it could not be altered (99% the case) they would re-make this one. I had some personal timelines for the new jackets for logistical reasons and they were able to accomadate those timelines including making sure the re-make happened quickly so I could approve the revised jacket.

The revised jacket came, and it was spot-on perfect. Now the Shinki leather is a bit harder at first and needs some break-in, and the pictures in the thread are of the first real wear, but again the fit was simply great. I have three more jackets coming in May in various different colors / leathers that I am happy to report on then. However, for now I just wanted to share my experience given how much past threads have helped me previously. Overall, I found Dave and Reilly great to work with and they got me a great product despite the bump in the road. Pictures are of the revised first jacket. Cheers.

2024-03-25 17.08.49.jpg
2024-03-25 17.08.55.png
2024-03-25 18.12.23.png

bigmanbigtruck

Familiar Face
Good to see it worked out for you. And they even remade it to accommodate your needs.

Relatively new here and most of the discussion I've seen highlights low-quality stitching and sloppy time management. Always good to see an opposing view.

Maybe when you describe taper and shoulder slope, it would be helpful to show a front view of the jacket. Tbh, from the angles you have, I don't see much of a taper or slope that would justify going for a Himel over a RMC. Don't mean to say you made the wrong decision or anything, just doesn't stand out as a meaningful difference visually. But maybe it has a bigger impact on the feel of the fit than the look, I'm no expert.

Either way, enjoy wearing your new jacket! Fit looks great

Last edited:

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Great jacket, perfect fit!

Congrats on this one. Outstanding!

Also good, that all worked out well with Himel and team. It’s good to read a positive report to balance some of the past reviews. Himel made some gross statements in the past, but personally I always got along with him and was very happy with his jackets.

Heres my Imperial. Still love it!

IMG_7017.jpeg

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I agree that a back view of the jacket on you would be helpful, but from the front, that really looks like a spot on fit. The jacket looks really nice. Love the tweed trousers too, btw.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I know there's been a lot of discussion on Himel Brothers on here. It's been helpful for me, and I wanted to contribute my own experience which was overwhelmingly positive.

I ordered my jacket towards the end of last year, which was an Imperial model in medium brown Shinki. For context, I am not at all new to the world of leather jackets, having started with Aero leather >10 years ago and gradually expanding / branching out to Real McCoy's (RMC), Buzz Rickson, Rainbow Country, some vintage stuff (in particular a Schott I really like), Y-2 Leather, Lewis Leathers, etc. But I did find Himel's designs to be interesting and was intrigued by his proclamations of superior patterns and thought I would pull the trigger. The jackets are definitely on the pricier side, and I understand that, but I'm in the fortunate situation that I can prioritize fit / cut over money.

Perhaps past grievances with Himel might have been with different assistants, but working with Reilly has been utterly pleasant and efficient. She has a great dynamic with Dave and knows when to reign him in as needed. Dave himself I've found to be a great guy during our two live discussions. He is a bit quirky and very confident in himself and his products, but from what I can tell is absolutely dedicated to getting the customer the right fit and making him / her happy. He's willing to put time into it and answer any and all questions. Perhaps sometimes when things don't go perfectly, it's because people aren't putting in sufficient upfront time / work to make sure they get what they want?

Anyway, the ordering process was incredibly thorough. They have you take tons of different measurements of your body (much more than the standard chest, shoulder, sleeve length, body length for typical jacket measurements), send pictures of your body wearing a bunch of different stuff, and also request that you send in a jacket you already have that fits you well. This could be a leather jacket or even a suit jacket; I ended up sending in a bespoke suit jacket. I can't remember the exact timelines, but I thought it was super reasonable. If I remember right, it was 3 -4 months between when I placed the order and I received my jacket and that included the year-end holiday season.

When I got my jacket, the first thing I noticed was the incrediblely good fit in the chest and shoulders... I have extremely sloped shoulders, and I also work out a decent amount and so have more of a v-shape. A lot of jacket patterns are much more blocky... I have found this of Aero, which I love but honestly doesn't fit me a amazing, as well as of the Japanese makers. According to Dave, the Japanese makers are more for a blocky and tubular Japanese body type, which is definitely what I've noticed in my RMC and FW jackets - they don't really accomadate a v-shape and don't taper very well. The Himel jacket fit amazing in all the key areas.

However, there were problems with this first jacket. The most glaringly obvious was that it was (for my taste) too long. If I remember right, the back length was 25" which was too long for my 5'10" height and build. This was especially the case as I have short legs relative to my torso and consequently only ever wear high-waisted trousers. The jacket length was not good for this and interfered with my ability to get to the pockets and of course more importantly just didn't look great / proportional for my build. The other issue was that some of the stitchwork around the chest pocket simply wasn't good. I don't care too much about it, but for the price it stuck out a bit. I also did think the chest pocket by default was slightly too high which I had moved down later. One thing to note for Himel's patterns - I think by default they just make longer body length jackets, so if you don't say anything you might get a jacket that's longer than expected for a certain traditional type of jacket that one might have in mind.

I brought these issues up to Dave and Reilly, and they handled it very graciously. I was very excited, given the jacket was nearly perfect, and I've never actually worn any patterns that accomadated my sloped shoulders and athletic build so well. I mentioned to them that I wanted to this first jacket fixed, but that if that was done right I wanted to order a few more colors / leathers. They took all this in stride and offered to take the jacket back and in the event it could not be altered (99% the case) they would re-make this one. I had some personal timelines for the new jackets for logistical reasons and they were able to accomadate those timelines including making sure the re-make happened quickly so I could approve the revised jacket.

The revised jacket came, and it was spot-on perfect. Now the Shinki leather is a bit harder at first and needs some break-in, and the pictures in the thread are of the first real wear, but again the fit was simply great. I have three more jackets coming in May in various different colors / leathers that I am happy to report on then. However, for now I just wanted to share my experience given how much past threads have helped me previously. Overall, I found Dave and Reilly great to work with and they got me a great product despite the bump in the road. Pictures are of the revised first jacket. Cheers.

View attachment 603687 View attachment 603688 View attachment 603689
That's one spectacular looking jacket, congrats. And thanks for writing up the review, great to hear you had a very positive experience.

cbez

One Too Many
Between the lines:

'I sent in a 3d full body scan and my complete medical records, and paid the price of a used car, and they still messed the fit up'

I'd be curious to know what the discussion on length was leading up to the first attempt.

jeo

One Too Many

View attachment 603687 View attachment 603688 View attachment 603689

This is the nicest Imperial I’ve seen. Perfect.

I’ll echo what others have said…let’s see some straight on front and back pics.

You did well by asking to lower the chest pocket. I wish mine was a little lower. The pattern Chapman sent him has that chest pocket a bit higher. Not sure if JC ever fixed it, but Himel definitely should. I don’t think it looks horrible, but it definitely looks better when it’s lowered like it is on yours.

Also good to hear your positive experience. I’ve had multiple people message me recently sharing a similar experience.

Great jacket, perfect fit!

Congrats on this one. Outstanding!

Also good, that all worked out well with Himel and team. It’s good to read a positive report to balance some of the past reviews. Himel made some gross statements in the past, but personally I always got along with him and was very happy with his jackets.

Heres my Imperial. Still love it!

View attachment 603757

Not sure if this is a current picture, but that bad boy still looks brand new! You should wear it more often!!

jeo

One Too Many
Between the lines:

'I sent in a 3d full body scan and my complete medical records, and paid the price of a used car, and they still messed the fit up'

I'd be curious to know what the discussion on length was leading up to the first attempt.

Also curious if OP ever gave desired jacket measurements and mentioned that he likes to wear high waisted pants.

I also had to provide body measurements and send in a jacket that fit well but I stressed that I wanted him to follow my desired jacket measurements and he nailed it first try for everyone of my 3 jackets from him.

whitebananafarmer

New in Town
Between the lines:

Uh, no - that's not what you should have gotten from this at all. More that the fit was totally perfect where it matters most (chest and shoulders), if the jacket was just two inches shorter in the body which they promptly addressed for me.

The longer jacket is just their style / pattern as mentioned. I did not discuss length with them initially as I had assumed this would be a shorter jacket given it's type. It was a wrong assumption on my part.

whitebananafarmer

New in Town
Also curious if OP ever gave desired jacket measurements and mentioned that he likes to wear high waisted pants.

I also had to provide body measurements and send in a jacket that fit well but I stressed that I wanted him to follow my desired jacket measurements and he nailed it first try for everyone of my 3 jackets from him.
I did not give desired jacket measurements, as I first wanted to see what he could do naturally / with the pattern. It helps that I tried on another Himel jacket (non-leather though) with similar pattern before at Clutch Cafe in London so I knew kind of what I was getting into.

I did not mention anything on the trousers either, although in hindsight I should have.

Reactions: jeo

cbez

One Too Many
Length is just as important to a good fit and can make or break a jacket as you found out.

Seems like a weird oversight to not discuss at all given the lengthy sizing process.

However since you should have had an idea of the patterns proportions and didn't give them instructions on the length I can't say Himel screwed up.

whitebananafarmer

New in Town
Length is just as important to a good fit and can make or break a jacket as you found out.

Seems like a weird oversight to not discuss at all given the lengthy sizing process.

However since you should have had an idea of the patterns proportions and didn't give them instructions on the length I can't say Himel screwed up.
I did not say that Himel screwed up at all. I was unhappy with how the length initially turned out.

I didn't expect the pattern would be so long for a jacket of this style. But nor did they communicate this to me. I'm not sure why I would know the proportions of the pattern normally.

However as mentioned in my post, I would say over communication is definitely better. It's something I should have brought up explicitly instead of assuming, I agree.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here

In fairness, he presumably gave them his height and it would be pretty easy to extrapolate the usual back length from that, which wouldn't be 25".

cbez

One Too Many
Hmm I see they have a size chart but only specced for the Heron and Frobisher.

Still seems like an odd oversight in a very anal 'bespoke' sizing process but glad you ended up with something you're happy with in the end.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
Congratulations, it looks outstanding on you you IMO.

I had a fantastic experience with my very first good leather jacket. It’s was also an Imperial from Himel Bros. Luckily I live near Toronto and I met with David and he measured me in person. The jacket was a perfect trim fit.

3748D626-15FB-4DD2-91FC-7BACC97A6AAE.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner