Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I want a Schott 641 or 141 but I need help finding the right size.

TheBigTimeBecks

New in Town
I wear a suit size of 36 Regular, and my normal outerwear is literally denim jackets. I like the silhouette and material and it is better than polyester or nylon jackets (for me anyways).

I have contemplated on getting a leather jacket and am dead set on getting a Schott 641 or 141. The unique collar band and the large single back panel, visually "cut up" by the biswing arms is so aesthetically cool.

I can only find 641 steerhide and 141 on eBay in 36s and 38s.

I had measured both of my Jean jackets and one fits looser than the other. The 2 measurements that varied was p2p and sleeve length. 1.75" wider and 2" longer.

I don't want a super form fitting leather jacket but I noticed from some listings the 641 has a 1" shorter sleeve compared to total length of jacket. So with the 141, if it is 25" in length the sleeve length would be 25" or so, whereas the 641 is 24 length and maybe 23" sleeve length. How this affects the look of the jacket, might make the jacket look less cropped. I do like the cropped look of leather jackets as most mall brand leathers have weird lengths that make it look crappy.

My shoulders on my jackets can vary between 17.5 and 19 and it doesn't feel or look too much different. It's the p2p and total jacket length that can cause a jacket to fit well or fit like butt.

chollie

One of the Regulars
In the past I owned a 141. For a 36" chest you're probably going to want to size down to a 34, if they make it in that sized. I've never owned one but my understanding is the 641 is true to size.

Editing to add that on their website there is a "compare similar styles" too on the product pages. It will show the fit type, back length as well as various other characteristics of all similar jackets. There is also a fit guide where you can put in your height, weight, fit preference etc.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The 641 and 141 have the same pattern, except the tagged size number is one bigger on the 641.

So a 641 in 36 = 141 in 34.

Remember that these jackets come with a removable fleece lining so keep that in mind when you see p2p measurements.

TheBigTimeBecks

New in Town
The 641 and 141 have the same pattern, except the tagged size number is one bigger on the 641.

So a 641 in 36 = 141 in 34.

Remember that these jackets come with a removable fleece lining so keep that in mind when you see p2p measurements.
I believe you, but why does the 641 look slimmer in terms of body width, and why is the sleeve length shorter than body length by 1" (141 has equal sleeve length to its body length).

I don't know if it's just the outer material draping differently between steerhide and naked cowhide but it looks slimmer when I see it online from Schott online store?

Also, why even have 2 different model numbers if they can just combine Naked, Horsehide and steerhide under either 141 or 641 SKU?

TheBigTimeBecks

New in Town
In the past I owned a 141. For a 36" chest you're probably going to want to size down to a 34, if they make it in that sized. I've never owned one but my understanding is the 641 is true to size.

Editing to add that on their website there is a "compare similar styles" too on the product pages. It will show the fit type, back length as well as various other characteristics of all similar jackets. There is also a fit guide where you can put in your height, weight, fit preference etc.
Okay I will try the fit guide. My Levi's jacket that fits well, has p2p of 21.5 inches and 19" shoulder and for some reason this one fits *almost* too tight. I can see from some eBay listings that 141 in size 36 has 18 or 18.5 shoulder to shoulder measurement. I think I may need to size up to 38 but not sure.

Aloysius

I don't know if it's just the outer material draping differently between steerhide and naked cowhide but it looks slimmer when I see it online from Schott online store?

That’s meaningless. Put the same person in the same size across those models and they will look one off. Increase the size of the 6-series and it will look the same.

Leather jacket sites have infamously bad fit pics, except maybe Thedi.

Also, why even have 2 different model numbers if they can just combine Naked, Horsehide and steerhide under either 141 or 641 SKU?

That’s simply how they decided to name their models. It’s quite consistent across the range. A size 40 118 is a size 42 618.

TheBigTimeBecks

New in Town
That’s meaningless. Put the same person in the same size across those models and they will look one off. Increase the size of the 6-series and it will look the same.

Leather jacket sites have infamously bad fit pics, except maybe Thedi.

That’s simply how they decided to name their models. It’s quite consistent across the range. A size 40 118 is a size 42 618.
Well, this is weird because comparing measurements listed for say a 641 in 38 regular and 141 in 36 regular, the measurements aren't equal. The sleeves, pit to pit and length don't match up. The shoulders and total length seem to match up though.

chollie

One of the Regulars
Coud be to the year of the coats mentioned...the patterns have changed some over the years for some Schott models. Also if the measurements are of used jackets all bets are off considering who did the measuring, how it was measured, how much the jacket was worn and how it was treated.

TheBigTimeBecks

New in Town
Coud be to the year of the coats mentioned...the patterns have changed some over the years for some Schott models. Also if the measurements are of used jackets all bets are off considering who did the measuring, how it was measured, how much the jacket was worn and how it was treated.
You may be right. The listed jackets don't mention the age or decade they are from. I don't know how much different the patterns would have changed but they don't look super worn (the more expensive listings). I will stick my suit size and hope for the best.

Aloysius

Just realized this is the "you'll get jumped for wearing a leather jacket" guy so we might have been giving good faith answers to a troll post lol.

TelemarkTumalo

Familiar Face
I have a 641 in steer hide. Tag size 38. Not sure of production date. My 641 has the zip out lining.

My measurements:

P2P 23.75"
Shoulder 18.75" (inside to action back seams); 20.75" (measured to shoulder seams)
Front length 21.25"
Rear length 24.75"
Sleeve 23.5"
Hem opening 19"

I have a 38" chest. With this jacket, I can easily wear 2-3 layers underneath. I think a tag 36 would fit me better, but digging the 38 for winter wear with a thick hoodie. Attached pics wearing a long sleeve t-shirt.
IMG_2402.jpeg
IMG_2851.jpeg

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
Nice 641 and nice brown boots. What make are the boots? I also have a 641 in steer and love it. I must say though that P2P and shoulder measurements are somewhat big for a size 38. Mine in size 42 is less than that. I also hope you find this post meaningful....

TelemarkTumalo

Familiar Face
Thanks Treeman. The lighter brown boots are Nicks Robert

I totally agree with you that my jacket seems large for a size 38. I've rechecked the measurements so feel that I'm getting good readings.

Just my opinion about the Schott 641. I think it is a very nice jacket for the price. I bought mine on eBay for $275. The zipper for the lining was failing, and had it repaired for $40. The leather is substantial and showing only minimal wear at the cuffs and back hem. Admittedly, it doesn't see a ton of wear as it competes against several other jackets and coats that I like better. However, it is a great leather jacket for me to wear in cold weather because of the generous size. Easy for me to wear a heavy sweater, thick hoodie or even several layers underneath. I have some other jackets that see t-shirt only duty when I'm going for the "high speed, low drag" look.

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
Funny thing is in the front pic the jacket appears a bit big on you…
But the back pic looks just rite .
The back of 641’s do look great though…Great look all around !!

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I have a 641 in steer hide. Tag size 38. Not sure of production date. My 641 has the zip out lining.

My measurements:

P2P 23.75"
Shoulder 18.75" (inside to action back seams); 20.75" (measured to shoulder seams)
Front length 21.25"
Rear length 24.75"
Sleeve 23.5"
Hem opening 19"

I have a 38" chest. With this jacket, I can easily wear 2-3 layers underneath. I think a tag 36 would fit me better, but digging the 38 for winter wear with a thick hoodie. Attached pics wearing a long sleeve t-shirt. View attachment 596105 View attachment 596106
I think a size smaller might work on you, the neck hole looks huge on this one, and the overall look is roomy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner