Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quick Himel Brothers Review

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
I've bought jackets from them before, and currently have 2 Himels that I'm super happy with, but the ordering process can be arduous and it felt a bit like I was dealing with Gilligan or the 3 stooges lol. For my Imperial order, I sent them a fit jacket which was actually one of their Canucks that I had bought from them several years before. This Canuck had become too snug on me due to some weight gain since I bought it, so I included a note with it explaining that and asking them to ONLY take the sleeve measurement from it, that it was being sent to them only to determine my desired sleeve length, and to refer to my custom order form for my requested fit comments and body measurements. And out of thoroughness and redundancy I also included a print-out of that custom order form and stapled it to that note. I also mentioned in the form the same thing...that the fit jacket I was sending was too snug and was only being sent to determine the sleeve length. So I had bent waaaayyyy over backwards to spell everything out multiple times in every place they could possibly look (and also in our email correspondences) so as to leave nothing to chance with them. I also sent pictures of myself as well per their request. So take a wild guess what happened, got the Imperial and of course it was too snug. They had made it the exact same size as the too narrow Canuck lol. It was as if they ignored everything and just made it based on the Canuck.

I can't imagine what it must have been like for a customer that's a bit clueless and is a poor communicator and needs hand-holding through the process. How do THOSE types of transactions work out?? LOL

However, let me say this...they did take it back and were great about it and re-did it and it turned out great, and I love it. I also liked Dave as a guy the few times I talked with him on the phone. And btw - my story was a couple years ago, so hopefully they've nailed down their process since then.

Last edited:
This is a beautiful jacket. Fit looks absolutely bang on. It’s a shame DH hasn’t offered this same level of above board customer service to some other customers who had clearly very flawed jackets (not myself). If he had, much, if not all, of the garbage talk that swirls around the brand most certainly would not exist. Regardless, it appears your result is exactly what it should be.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Perhaps sometimes when things don't go perfectly, it's because people aren't putting in sufficient upfront time / work to make sure they get what they want?
I can’t think of a single time where this has been the case. Everyone who orders a Himel is super stoked on the idea of having a custom (not gonna say bespoke, not gonna go there…) jacket made just for them and they behave accordingly.
having said that your jacket looks amazing and it’s nice to see when everything goes well!

Aloysius

I can’t think of a single time where this has been the case. Everyone who orders a Himel is super stoked on the idea of having a custom (not gonna say bespoke, not gonna go there…) jacket made just for them and they behave accordingly.
having said that your jacket looks amazing and it’s nice to see when everything goes well!

If anything, with good makers, the more someone tries to make the decisions instead of the maker, the worse the jacket turns out.

I actual think it's the responsibility of the maker to deliver a good fitting jacket that flatters the wearer.

Indisputably. People have psyopped themselves because of the over-reliance on measurements in workwear culture, due to things like us ordering from Japan sight-unseen. But the reality is that's at best imperfect, at worst actively misleading.

A good maker should be able to make what you need. I can't imagine being in a tailor shop and dictating measurements, unless they're for aesthetic details like deeper/shallower cuffs or lapel size (and in the case of the latter, your tailor will probably have the best eye for what works on you.)

Aloysius

that is all vastly complicated by distance ordering.

I think our distance buying habits have contributed to a lot of the distorted buyer expectations in our subculture that contribute to it.

whitebananafarmer

New in Town
I've bought jackets from them before, and currently have 2 Himels that I'm super happy with, but the ordering process can be arduous and it felt a bit like I was dealing with Gilligan or the 3 stooges lol. For my Imperial order, I sent them a fit jacket which was actually one of their Canucks that I had bought from them several years before. This Canuck had become too snug on me due to some weight gain since I bought it, so I included a note with it explaining that and asking them to ONLY take the sleeve measurement from it, that it was being sent to them only to determine my desired sleeve length, and to refer to my custom order form for my requested fit comments and body measurements. And out of thoroughness and redundancy I also included a print-out of that custom order form and stapled it to that note. I also mentioned in the form the same thing...that the fit jacket I was sending was too snug and was only being sent to determine the sleeve length. So I had bent waaaayyyy over backwards to spell everything out multiple times in every place they could possibly look (and also in our email correspondences) so as to leave nothing to chance with them. I also sent pictures of myself as well per their request. So take a wild guess what happened, got the Imperial and of course it was too snug. They had made it the exact same size as the too narrow Canuck lol. It was as if they ignored everything and just made it based on the Canuck.

I can't imagine what it must have been like for a customer that's a bit clueless and is a poor communicator and needs hand-holding through the process. How do THOSE types of transactions work out?? LOL

However, let me say this...they did take it back and were great about it and re-did it and it turned out great, and I love it. I also liked Dave as a guy the few times I talked with him on the phone. And btw - my story was a couple years ago, so hopefully they've nailed down their process since then.
I think the whole ordering process might now be a lot better than what you went through with Reilly around. I found her really good and detail-oriented.

whitebananafarmer

New in Town
I actual think it's the responsibility of the maker to deliver a good fitting jacket that flatters the wearer.
I don't at all disagree.

The difference could be stylistic or down to individual opinions though.

My perception of Himel is that he thinks longer jackets look better - hence the patterns being longer than "standard" for the style. I don't. That's what I meant by clarifying and spending time upfront (which ironically this time around the length was the only thing I didn't do that on!).

Jasonindenver

One of the Regulars
I don't at all disagree.

The difference could be stylistic or down to individual opinions though.

My perception of Himel is that he thinks longer jackets look better - hence the patterns being longer than "standard" for the style. I don't. That's what I meant by clarifying and spending time upfront (which ironically this time around the length was the only thing I didn't do that on!).
I too like a jacket a bit longer than the norm but your final product is as good as it gets! Congrats on a stunning addition.

whitebananafarmer

New in Town
Thanks for all the responses and discussion, all. A few follow-up photos here.

In t-shirt, just to get a sense of my build - note heavily sloped shoulders (not sure if super clear here, as maybe I'm subconciously attempting to straighten them for the photo, but I have the most sloped shoulders of anyone I regularly see, friends, family, etc.):
2024-04-04 16.32.39.jpg

More pictures of the Himel fit:

2024-04-04 16.33.06.jpg

2024-04-04 16.33.11.jpg

Now some pictures of my RMCs - this is what I mean by the different, more tubular or blocky pattern (although in fairness these are A-2's so it's a different jacket type... but there's not really a taper going on here):

2024-04-04 16.34.00.jpg

2024-04-04 16.34.05.jpg

2024-04-04 16.34.57.jpg

2024-04-04 16.35.09.jpg

And lastly, some pictures of my new Aero 1930's Halfbelt (I'm on my 3rd one, after some changes to my body over the years). You'll see that the pattern is much more blocky and less tapered, and I have to tighten the side adjusters all the way to get the fit I want. Although, I suspect Aero forgot to follow my instructions on this one and went with a standard 42" build when I asked for the waist on down to be tapered to 38". I'll have to bring it up with them. Overall, I love Aero still.

2024-04-04 16.36.15.jpg

2024-04-04 16.36.20.jpg

2024-04-04 16.36.26.jpg

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for all the responses and discussion, all. A few follow-up photos here.

In t-shirt, just to get a sense of my build - note heavily sloped shoulders (not sure if super clear here, as maybe I'm subconciously attempting to straighten them for the photo, but I have the most sloped shoulders of anyone I regularly see, friends, family, etc.):
View attachment 604420

More pictures of the Himel fit:

View attachment 604421

View attachment 604422

Now some pictures of my RMCs - this is what I mean by the different, more tubular or blocky pattern (although in fairness these are A-2's so it's a different jacket type... but there's not really a taper going on here):

View attachment 604423

View attachment 604424

View attachment 604425

View attachment 604426

And lastly, some pictures of my new Aero 1930's Halfbelt (I'm on my 3rd one, after some changes to my body over the years). You'll see that the pattern is much more blocky and less tapered, and I have to tighten the side adjusters all the way to get the fit I want. Although, I suspect Aero forgot to follow my instructions on this one and went with a standard 42" build when I asked for the waist on down to be tapered to 38". I'll have to bring it up with them. Overall, I love Aero still.

View attachment 604427

View attachment 604428

View attachment 604429

When Himel gets it right, he gets it RIGHT!

Sidenote: Love the „Flying Tigers“ jacket too!

bigmanbigtruck

Familiar Face
Great fit! The new batch of photos really show how much it suits you.

And with the way similar "stock-sized" jackets from RMC and FW are being priced... you got your money's worth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner