Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adam Executive?

portolan

A-List Customer
Does anyone have a pic of an Adam Executive hat being worn? I have never owned a non-Western hat and feel like I am standing on a cliff ready to jump into a pool of clear water, but not sure what is under the surface.

What are these hats made of? The descriptions are bare bones because I think you all know all about these Adam, Lee and Schoble type hats. Are the sizes on these vintage hats pretty much the same as current sizes....Being used to Westerns, I am not sure about real narrow brims...

OK....I have lived in Africa, have no fear of living in the desert of Mexico, and have faced a few cobras in the bush....but I am scared to death of buying a fedora.....Somebody reassure me that it will all be ok....that there is not some unseen terror lurking on the other side of such a purchase.

Seriously, I don't know what I want in a Fedoresque style....probably something INdyesque or adventuresque...Not too tall a crown....The
"Executive" in Adam Executive scares me. Any pics of these out there?

Justdog

Practically Family
Size

What size are you.
Yes they are mid grade but vintage that means pretty great hat. Have several. Nice soft felt fit well styled well. Nice hats overall.

Justdog

Practically Family
Felt

portolan said:
Would I buy the same size in one of these vintage hats? What kind of felt are they?

Not 100 percent beaver and honestly not 100 percent sure exactly the type but definitely fur felt 7.5 might be a challenge. Sure a few members might have one available for sale. Maybe post in the classified as a want? Should not really matter the particular style as far as size goes but different makes makers age shrinkage may affect fit. There should be some heavier hitters chiming in to help you out soon though.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
You will love a Adam Executive.
a2qn4.png
The felt is great and in my opinion is a great blend between western and fedora.

tortswon

Practically Family
Relax

Protolan, it's a hat. Just relax. The hat you've selected is a fine pick. It is midway between a western and a fedora. If you don't like it after you've put it on and worn it for while, put it up for sale in the Classifieds.

Are the hats you have been wearing old or new? The difference between the old felt and the new is amazing. From the time I put on my first vintage fedora, the difference was apparent. Now I only wear vintage and custom hats.

Enjoy your new hat and let us know how it goes. Best, Sam

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Adams are nice hats. I have an Executive that came open crowned (unlike Johnnyphi's current auction) and it looks quite different. They are fur felt, they are generally thinner and lighter weight than modern hats, but they have all the weather-beating ability of a modern hat... and then some.

Her is me in my Executive;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27810273@N04/2616166805/in/set-72157605848697090/

However, based on the photo in the current auction (the brown 7 1/2), it will probably look more like this Lee;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27810273@N04/2815104273/in/set-72157605848697090/

Having won several vintage lids from Johnny, I can say that they are the perfect way to start experimenting with Fedoras. Go for your normal size (most will have remained true because they are unused hats), and they have a good resale value if you decide you don't like it. Heck, if get a 7 1/2 you don't like, I might want it! :D

Hoss & da Posse

One of the Regulars
Portolan, you will really enjoy that Adam if you win it...I have a couple of those NOS hats that Johnnyphi has auctioned off and enjoy wearing them very much. For me, there is something special about them, and in some way a connection to simpler times. I hope to bid on another before he completes selling off his inventory

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
portolan said:
I won it! Can't wait to get my first fedora!
Congratulations! That hat sat without a bid for so long I almost bid on it myself. The only reason I didn't is that it's the exact same color as the one I'm wearing in my avatar. (The Missus forbids bidding on duplicate hats ;))

You will love the hat. It is very light weight for a fur felt, but that is a good thing. Mine was a bit stiff when I first got it, bit I've been wearing it regularly and it is breaking in just fine. I highly recommend wearing it in the rain, the slight wetting the hat gets really makes it come alive.

Don't forget to post pics in the Jhonnyphi Club thread when you get the hat!

KatintheHat

Suspended
I own an Adam Executive. It's the finest dress fedora I own. It may feel flimsy but, it's more resiliiant than you might think.

The Executive was top of the line in Adam Hats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic