Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adding a throat clasp to repro A2

miger

New in Town
I've got a nice repro vintage style A2 for everyday use, but i'd like to add a throat clasp ------the hook and eye fixture---as one wasn't fitted.
Some questions:
Is it an easy job to do?
Can anyone point me to where I may get the parts?
Any tips on fitting?
Many thanks Guys, all help/ideas appreciated.

Miger

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
IMO a hook and eye throat clasp, even on an A-2, is just about worthless, and I probably wouldn't add one on if not already there if the A-2 were mine.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
The clasps are only really any use to attach talismans etc.

PA180017_zpse68ad420.jpg

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Got to agree. Occasionally, I'll do it up if it's cold, but I rarely do my A-2 up to the throat. If it lacked the collar studs, that would be a different matter...

AdeeC

Practically Family
There must have been a logical reason for putting in a throat latch. Perhaps to stop prop wash getting under the collar. Only reason I could think of having one.

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
A bit off topic, but has anyone found the throat clasp on the M-422a to be useful? I owned a repro that was slim but not tight, and found it virtually impossible to get the throat clasp buttoned without choking myself. Are they supposed to be like that?

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hung a whistle off of mine...wouldn't worry if i was you :-D M422A couldn't do the throat clasp up on that with any degree of comfort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou