Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adventure! Fedora Lounge Folks in Action!

Mojave Jack said:
I find a lot of those kinds of rocks in my desert wanderings, but never Dutchmen or their mines, unfortunately! There's another tale of a Spanish ship in the Anza Borrego desert, that supposedly sailed up into that area from the Gulf of California during a wet year (a really wet year, apparently) and got beached, full of gold. Other say it was a Viking ship, or a pirate ship, etc. Others say it was in Lake Cahuilla....

I regularly get phone calls from people wanting to know if they can come onto the base looking for this or that treasure. I had one guy actually ask me if I knew about a cinder cone that he wanted to name for a prospector named "Pegleg Pete." Uh, yeah, we know about all the volcanic cones on base, thanks. The guy bent my ear for about 30 minutes about all the gold that Pegleg Pete had found. Unfortunately, the area he was talking about was heavily prospected and mined, but the only thing that came out of that area was galena.

If you find the ship, let me know. You can be the Count of Montecristo. ;) :p

TM

A-List Customer
I have heard this story about the lost Spanish treasure ship. It’s not overly implausible. Before the creation of the Salton Sea, shortly after the turn of the century, the Salton Sink (as it was known) was peridoically connected to the Bay of Mexico. The Colorado River was quite capricious south of Yuma, AZ and depending on the way it shifted, the Salton Sink at times was a lake connected to the Bay. So it’s certainly possible that a lost Spanish ship could have entered this temporary lake and floundered. Thus far no one has found any physical evidence of the ship.

The lost gold fine of Peg Leg was in the same general area, not in the high desert. No one has discovered any evidence of this either.

Lot’s of great myths in the desert!

Tony

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
All in a day's work! Taking a break during a survey for some mortar targets downrange. We clear the way by making sure the target area is free of archeological sites and/or threatened or endangered natural resources. It's often one of each of us, archeologist (me) and biologist.

This is an old M-60 that was placed as a target some time ago, as you can tell by the damage. It wasn't really a good place to take a break, since the potential for unexploded ordnance is high around targets, but I couldn't resist the photo op!

Tank.jpg

Here's the view from the top of the hill near the targets. We knew that the road they were building to the target location wasn't going over this, despite what was marked on the map they supplied, but we went up it anyway, partly because we wanted to, and partly because we knew we'd get a good look at the terrain to figure out where they were really going to put the road. At the top we were swarmed by flying ants, who have apparently evolved to take advantage of passersby to hitch a ride. They didn't bite or anything, but I was picking them off my gear for the rest of the afternoon. I had about fifteen on my hat, which now has a slight smear of flying ant guts.

ViewFromTheTop.jpg

Despite our best efforts, though, we had to go back for a second day with one of the project team members to locate their intended route. Here's the end of the day, and I'm ready for a beer!

SurveyDay2.jpg

Gear includes my Riverina, of course, LL Bean field shirt, Ralph Lauren khakis ($20 at CostCo!), Swartzkopf-era desert boots, and my CamelBak.

I really am not crazy about the CamelBak. The zippers jam constantly when I'm trying to get in or out because they are straight zippers on a tight arc. The bladder pocket is a pain, because it closes with velcro, and is hard to get the bladder in and out when the pack is full. The load compression straps go right across the mesh pockets on the side. That might seem minor, but that's where I keep flagging tape. I can get it in and out without removing the pack, but the compression strap makes it hard. With about two seconds more of planning they could have moved the strap up two inches and made that pocket more useful. The pack also tapers towards the top, making it impossible to find anything in the bottom of the pack.

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
I have to admit I'm not dressed very...stylish in any of these pictures, but they are good accounts of a few of my adventures.

Me on Mt. Whitney:
WillonWhitney.jpg

Kyaking in Alaska:
IMG_1622.jpg

This is all I can find at the moment. I have some good shots from Ireland, but they're not on this computer. :eek:

donCarlos

Practically Family
I got two photos I´d really like to share with. They are both from Budapest, from the aviation museum located near the airport. It was a real paradise for me, except the high temperature.

Me in Il-18 cockpit (oh, what a machine! Can you imagine flying one of these from Prague to Havana? CSA actually did...)
2007_08210082.JPG

Me and Tu-154 main gear
2007_08210095.JPG

It´s a great place for aviation fans, but it´s almost impossible to talk to the staff, because they don´t speak english. It´s interesting, because they used to be employees of Malev...

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Nothing terribly exciting, but my friends and I try to take some kind of trip every friday, usually checking out abandoned stuff in the area or hiking somewhere.
I'm always the one with the camera, though, so not many pics of me.
This past friday out at Forest glen.
IMG_7171.jpg
IMG_7182.jpg

IMG_7193.jpg
IMG_7205.jpg

IMG_7249.jpg
IMG_7250.jpg

IMG_7218.jpg

IMG_7215.jpg

My friend Zach's up in the round window.
IMG_7246.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
abandoned barn way out on the woods in an overgrown field. It's a wonder we found it. First time was at night and we got horribly lost getting back to the car. Went back later (the daytime pics)

1IMG_6747.jpg

IMG_6867.jpg
IMG_6836.jpg

IMG_6846.jpg
IMG_6804.jpg

IMG_6819.jpg

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
Different kinds of action shots - Baking apple crisp with a reflector oven.
4c107f7b.jpg

Finished product.
6c7b9635.jpg

Even better with ice cream.
73c37c2e.jpg

Tools of the trade.
d56cdc09.jpg

Superior Hiking Trail.
8960210-R1-042-19A.jpg

Lake Pepin 3 Speed Tour.
3speedtour20070519027.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Cairngorm Mountains, May 08

A weekend with the boys up in the Cairngorm Mountains climbing a few Munroes (3000metres plus). We had to bike in which was 7 miles each way with our kit, then leave the bikes and head upwards. Still a bit of snow up there and managed some childish 'sliding' on our backsides!!
It was very challenging and the cold beer back at the bunkhouse in Braemar (a little town in the Scottish Highlands) just tasted so sweet after all the exercise.
The boots I use are military Danners (Goretex lining, cordura and leather outer) and they feel like slippers. Depending on the sole you get on them, they are as ideal for urban patrol work to rough X-county terrain to a yomp in the mountains (as per the pics). Love them!!

BRAEMAR2008001.jpg

This metal bridge was erected for Victoria's Coronation and still going strong.

BRAEMAR2008002.jpg

One Munroe done!! phew.

BRAEMAR2008026.jpg

And there goes 'another!!'

BRAEMAR2008034.jpg

Temperature starts dropping on the road home as the sun starts to dip behind the mountains.

BRAEMAR2008037.jpg

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
But seriously, folks...

OK, this is more in keeping with the thread - exploring cave dwellings in Santa Fe New Mexico, in a vintage dress and hat, note the old Oxfords...

SaraNM1.jpg

SaraNM2.jpg

And what the well-dressed couple wears for a walk in the woods...
l_01d9127d68cfe18fcd895df02e5bb8cb.jpg

l_d382faa96af68dba6a6ac0ee9b245ccf.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21