Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adventurer vs Federation

thecollegeguy123

New in Town
I am looking for an open crown fedora. After looking around the internet I have found two hats that appeal to me: the Akubra Federation and the Akubra Adventurer. Unfortunately, when I went to www.hatsdirect.com to check the price difference, there was only one of the two hats available to purchase: the Federation. I did some more searching to find out why this was and have two theories. My first theory is based on where I read the information. The Adventurer is only mentioned on Akubra's Australian website while the Federation is only mentioned on www.hatsdirect.com, which sells to the US. From this I believe that the two hats may be different products made for different markets. In this case, the Adventurer is only available in Australia while the Federation is only available in America. My second theory is that the Federation and the Adventurer are the same hat only with different names based on where they are sold. If they are not the same, does anyone know the differences between the two, and how can I find an adventurer here in America?

...In this case, the Adventurer is only available in Australia while the Federation is only available in America...
This isn't quite accurate. The Adventurer is available in both Australia and the U.S., while the Fed IV is, as gtdean commented above, only available through Hats Direct/The Hattery (though they ship worldwide).

...If they are not the same, does anyone know the differences between the two, and how can I find an adventurer here in America?
According to the specifications posted on the HatsDirect and David Morgan websites, there are some differences between the two hats:

Adventurer: 5-1/2" open crown; 3-1/8" on the front and back of the brim, 2-3/4" on the sides; available in Imperial grade felt
Fed IV: 5-5/8" open crown; 2-3/4" on the front and back of the brim, 2-1/2" on the sides; available in Imperial or Heritage grade felt

Here in the U.S., your best bet for the Adventurer is probably David Morgan. For the Fed IV, again it's only available through Hats Direct.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred