Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adverse Weather and our Fedoras

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I have no idea whether this answer is politically correct for this group, but my answer is: it's a hat, not a paper doily. A hat is meant to protect your head...so why not use it for its intended purpose?

When it rains or snows, I wear a hat. If it gets wet, I let it dry naturally and it usually fits better than it did before it got wet.

Aaron Hats

Vendor
I'm with you Pilgrim. A hat is meant to be worn, used and abused. I feel the same way about the leather seats in my truck. I know guys who baby them with conditioner and put covers over them so they don't get them dirty. For God's sake man, use it and enjoy it.

In the "good ol' days" didn't a proper gentleman buy a new straw in the spring and a new felt in the fall each year?

Cheers,

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Amen, Aaron Hats.

I feel the same way about people who drive pickups and brake to 1 MPH for speed bumps in my meighborhood....or who go to extremes to keep from getting a scratch in the pickup bed.

It's a TRUCK. It has a real frame and it's meant to do work. If you wanted a sports car, buy a sports car. If you have a truck, put it to work.

There's no need to abuse hats, trucks or other posessions or tools - but there's no reason not to use them for their intended purpose.

Harry Lime

Suspended
Wear a hat in the rain?

Well, most are made of beavers (or rabbits or other fur-bearing creatures.) Last I checked beavers aren't too afraid of getting wet.

Wearing a hat in the rain is fine if it's a decent one. Let it dry naturally, preferably upside down on it's crown rather than resting on its brim. Don't do anything crazy like put it on a heat register or radiator. Similar advice goes for horsehide or goat leather jackets - wear them when it rains, they'll be fine.

Harry Lime

WEEGEE

Practically Family
UMBRELLA

I HAVE SOME HATS DEDICATED TO THE ELEMENTS...

AND ALWAYS A RAIN HAT IN THE CAR AS WELL AS UMBRELLA...

I work as a press photographer so i never know what the day may bring...

Some hats though i do treat as precious...

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I couldn't disagree more with the prevailing opinion; why wear a nice hat in the rain? I have an old tapered Akubra that I wear in the rain. Why would I bust out a vintage Borsalino or one of my custom Adventurebilts? There is no need to subject a great hat to that sort of abuse and dress hats weren't meant for overexposure in the elements. It's like taking a Ferrari off-road; you could do it, but why bother? Get a Jeep.

And carry an umbrella, For Heavens' sake! ;)

Rigby Reardon

One of the Regulars
A hat...and an umbrella? :rolleyes: Man, that is some PRECIOUS hair ya'll have.

Okay, I'll dial-back the sarcasm for a moment. I assume the reason some would take an umbrella is for reasons that mesh w/ Hem's: you WANT to wear the nice hat, but it's special for one reason or another, so you are doing this to preserve it's lifespan. I would hope that you would agree that with an everyday hat which is not 'irreplacable' ('irregardless' of whether that's a word), it would be okay to go without an umbrella, right?

And I hope that the folks who wear a hat to use it as a hat (and for disclosure, I'm in this camp) might still see a need to go easier on a SPECIAL and irreplaceable hat. Say, something worn only on the most special occasions...like a vintage top hat (some are made of satin or silk, aren't they?).

Sounds like it's just a matter of where ya'll draw the line. Which ones do you protect, and which aren't you concerned about?

I'm a bit of a ...well, gosh, I don't know what the word for this is. 'Cynic' is too harsh, and 'realist' implies "I'm right", so I don't like that word either. Anyway, I assume something I own is going to someday go away, and when I spent good money for a hat, I did so w/ trepidation because I still planned to treat it as a hat - a hat for the rain, a hat for the snow (pretend we have snow in So Cal). The very few items I have that I would protect moreso - a few invaluable heirlooms (for sentimental reasons) foil my logic and make me self-conscious when I take them out about town...but I'm learning to be braver. ;)

J

P.S. The definition of a 'truck' is something you can clean with a hose...on the INSIDE. ;)

Barry

Practically Family
I'll wear some of my hats and caps out in the rain. I think my new Akubra can take a bit of a beating just from the feel of it. However, I also picked up a Borsalino Alessandria and it seems so soft and supple - I'd be worried to take it out in a thunderstorm.

Barry

I wear them all. It is raining here right now and my Stetson with the Star perforation is the one I am using.
hatperf2.jpg

It is likely 60 years old but I use it. If it gets dirty I will have it cleaned. Who am I saving it for my kids? :p They might not even be the same hat size. :cool2: I am sure my hats will outlive me. I don't really wear the same hat everyday anyway but it spreads the wear around. Enjoy your hats they are really not that weak. They can take water, wind, dust and soiling. You just go looking for the last two. :cheers1: ;)

Regards to all,

J

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Rigby Reardon said:
A hat...and an umbrella? :rolleyes: Man, that is some PRECIOUS hair ya'll have.

Okay, I'll dial-back the sarcasm for a moment. I assume the reason some would take an umbrella is for reasons that mesh w/ Hem's: you WANT to wear the nice hat, but it's special for one reason or another, so you are doing this to preserve it's lifespan. I would hope that you would agree that with an everyday hat which is not 'irreplacable' ('irregardless' of whether that's a word), it would be okay to go without an umbrella, right?

And I hope that the folks who wear a hat to use it as a hat (and for disclosure, I'm in this camp) might still see a need to go easier on a SPECIAL and irreplaceable hat. Say, something worn only on the most special occasions...like a vintage top hat (some are made of satin or silk, aren't they?).

Sounds like it's just a matter of where ya'll draw the line. Which ones do you protect, and which aren't you concerned about?

I'm a bit of a ...well, gosh, I don't know what the word for this is. 'Cynic' is too harsh, and 'realist' implies "I'm right", so I don't like that word either. Anyway, I assume something I own is going to someday go away, and when I spent good money for a hat, I did so w/ trepidation because I still planned to treat it as a hat - a hat for the rain, a hat for the snow (pretend we have snow in So Cal). The very few items I have that I would protect moreso - a few invaluable heirlooms (for sentimental reasons) foil my logic and make me self-conscious when I take them out about town...but I'm learning to be braver. ;)

J
Spoken like a fellow from Southern California!
Stand in the Boston rain in February for fifteen minutes and your hat becomes a wad of soaked newspaper!
There are plastic coverings for hats, like what the police wear. People in the Golden Era wore those like they did the galloshes on their shoes.
It never rains in classic films, except on Gene Kelly and, well, you know...
There are rain hats. Rigby, you would look smashing in the yellow Gordon's Fisherman's hat.
I wouldn't wear one of my favorite hats in the rain. And, I must admit, I get annoyed when I read about people complaining that their hats have lost their shape after being soaked through, as if that was unexpected. I want to tall them, it's a hat, not a helmet!
In the 1940's, your dry cleaner would reblock your hat. In Philadelphia, there were hat shops in every neighborhood.
And you know, I have a really nice Brigg umbrella that I carry more than I use! I usually throw on my old tapered Akubra.
Enough ranting from me!

Rigby Reardon

One of the Regulars
Hemingway Jones said:
Spoken like a fellow from Southern California!
Stand in the Boston rain in February for fifteen minutes and your hat becomes a wad of soaked newspaper!
There are plastic coverings for hats, like what the police wear. People in the Golden Era wore those like they did the galloshes on their shoes.
It never rains in classic films, except on Gene Kelly and, well, you know...
There are rain hats. Rigby, you would look smashing in the yellow Gordon's Fisherman's hat.
I wouldn't wear one of my favorite hats in the rain. And, I must admit, I get annoyed when I read about people complaining that their hats have lost their shape after being soaked through, as if that was unexpected. I want to tall them, it's a hat, not a helmet!
In the 1940's, your dry cleaner would reblock your hat. In Philadelphia, there were hat shops in every neighborhood.
And you know, I have a really nice Brigg umbrella that I carry more than I use! I usually throw on my old tapered Akubra.
Enough ranting from me!
hahaha...good response, sir! The lack of common infrastructure for the day-to-day upkeep of hats worn daily - especially in inclement weather - drives a valid need for different handling if they are not easily replaceable. Point, Hemingway. ;)

Gordon's Fisherman's hat...I love it...but I need the slicker to go with it...and will have to grow my 'crazy-beard' back. ;) (Ooh, nuts, can't find a picture of that at the moment to photoshop the crazy fisher hat onto...darn!:p )

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Rigby Reardon said:
hahaha...good response, sir! The lack of common infrastructure for the day-to-day upkeep of hats worn daily - especially in inclement weather - drives a valid need for different handling if they are not easily replaceable. Point, Hemingway. ;)

Gordon's Fisherman's hat...I love it...but I need the slicker to go with it...and will have to grow my 'crazy-beard' back. ;) (Ooh, nuts, can't find a picture of that at the moment to photoshop the crazy fisher hat onto...darn!:p )
Thanks Pal! I would love to see that picture of you with the beard. Maybe we should start a bad-hair / facial hair post! ;)

I have a PVC slicker that I wear deep sea fishing. It's easy to clean. Sadly, I don't have the hat. But, if I did, I'd lend it to you. :)

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Oh no my Optimo.

D. Hats said:
I'm wondering if you all dare wear your Vintage Fedoras in the rain?
Is there a problem with this? What are the DOs & DON'TS?

I wore my Optimo heavy weight fedora in the worst rain we have had (backyard flooded, climbed on roof to unplug gutters). The hat is a disaster. Soaked. Shrank. This was last Sunday. Tonight, it is Wed. Hat is damp. I have put it on hat stretcher, in hat stretcher, block flange........it is ruined. I have turned the brim up, the sweat out, the stretcher in, out. This thing looks like ****!

I fear this hat needs a complete reblock. This is the wettest I have ever gotten a hat. Now.... my vintage don't do this. My vintage Cavanagh has had tree branches hit it (my head), veg. garden dirt thrown up from tiller, and it was SOAKED like you swam in it. Never changed a bit. This Optimo is an "older" model...but the thing did NOT do well in rain. I mean I wore it for a few HOURS in the rain. And I have 15+ Optimos.

Let me "tone this down". The hat is in the living room, away from heat, drying slowly. It really looks bad. When it totally drys and I can hand block it, I will repost and see what is up. Now..this is like saying "hey, my Brooks Bros. Suit didn't hold up on that duck hunting trip on the lake" kind of thing. Hummmm, city hat vs. country hat? Art's BEAVER hat he has made for me is impervious to water, it rolls off. I should have worn that hat on that wet Sunday! Or maybe quit babying my vintage.. they seem to NEVER mind the weather!

Bebop

Practically Family
I use a hat as a head cover more than a fashion statement so I don't think I would be interested in a hat that can't take some rain. It has been raining alot here in San Francisco and I have not gone outside without my Akubra Federation. I have not seen any change in it at all. I sprayed it with Scout rain and stain protector when I first recieved it 4 or 5 months ago and have worn it in rain and heat with no negative effects at all. I say wear your hat unless you positively do not want to chance having what happened to Andykev and his Optimo. Same goes for leather seats, pick up truck beds, watches, shoes, leather jackets. Depends how valuable these things are to you.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
That's why I don't spend too much money on a hat. $150 max, Wear it for a year or so and if it don't hold up, get another. The way I wear hats and caps, I could not see spending a fortune on one.

WEEGEE

Practically Family
EVERYONE IS RIGHT

I have totaled so many expensive cameras and lenses in the course of work.

and again i say some hats are assigned the nasty duty of what ever the day brings...it depends on who we are...as to who are hats become...fashion and
function are so intertwined...and our interpretation*of such dictates...

of course i am not going to wear my turn of the century beaver top hat in a
rain storm...but a 1940's knox...statoliner style i picked up on ebay...so like
new...soft supple...yet moth bitten...the most beautiful beater hat i have ever owned rain, snow and sleet...the character* developes and the moth bites fade in to the history of now.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I should admit that I'm also fond of carrying an umbrella - not to protect the hat, but because there are many other parts of me to get wet!

However, the hat is usually right near the center of mass, so it's going to benefit from the umbrella's coverage. But when you don't have that umbrella - while you get in/out of a car, or a building - a hat is a darn nice head (and glasses) cover.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Espasoner