Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advertising at its finest... :-(

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
This is so so clueless The Photo Editor for this Magazine will be let go so fast it will make their head spin. Of coarse it does cause attention to be paid to them.

Feraud

Bartender
I watch the HBO program Vice and appreciate the reporting on issues from around the world that never makes the mainstream news.
This garbage is a reminder why people have a burning hatred of hipsters.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
There's just something that irritates me about only using women in this (men killed themselves too). It's bad enough what the fashion industry does to the images of women... but now they have to kill them off too... belittling women's deaths by making them erotic and fashionable. It's like nothing that women do is off-limits from being sexualized and sold. Disgusting.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Just so everyone knows, Vice Magazine to culture what The Onion is to new: satire. For example, the motto of the Vice Guide to Travel is "we go to the worst places on Earth so you don't have to." Recently it was Vice that sponsored Dennis Rodman's "diplomatic" trip to North Korea . . .

Edward

Bartender
It is, though it looks more like the Irony Defence than genuine irony to me. Tbh, I find it more tedious than shocking, even if the latter is what the Barleys behind this wanted.

Just so everyone knows, Vice Magazine to culture what The Onion is to new: satire. For example, the motto of the Vice Guide to Travel is "we go to the worst places on Earth so you don't have to." Recently it was Vice that sponsored Dennis Rodman's "diplomatic" trip to North Korea . . .

Some things are simply in poor taste, even if meant satirically.

Feraud

Bartender
After i read sheeplady's comment i wondered if Vice would try selling trendy and disgustingly overpriced Workwear with a fat, old, Hemingway-like model with a shotgun in his mouth?
It'll never happen, one mustn't upset the ironic and moneyed bearded boys club..

Edward

Bartender
Some things are simply in poor taste, even if meant satirically.

I'm actually quite a fan of bad taste humour where there is a point to be made - it can be very clever. This, however, is one of those occasions where there is nothing being said, and no content, beyond "look at us! We're shocking!".

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It seems that the perpetrators of this offense against human decency have pulled it from the website, and replaced it with a mealy-mouthed "apology." Apparently those of us who found it repulsive are just artless philistines.

I'm actually quite a fan of bad taste humour where there is a point to be made - it can be very clever. This, however, is one of those occasions where there is nothing being said, and no content, beyond "look at us! We're shocking!".

I'm not exactly PC myself, and I agree. It certainly wasn't satirical, even if they were trying to make a social statement. It was just a tasteless attempt at attention grabbing.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
But this isn't an attempt at art... it's a "fashion spread." It would be one thing to recreate suicide scenes for art (still distasteful) but I could see it being done in conjunction with the author's last writings, stories of their lives, and expressing what a shame it was that they died, shown in a gallery, etc. Perhaps to raise money for an appropriate charity, such as a suicide hotline. And it should be men and women. As in "look at how horrific and damaging suicide is to our society, let's raise money to help people avoid attempts."

But to sell copies? What kind of sick **** would buy a magazine simply to see dead or about to be dead women? And what kind of sick **** came up with that idea? (Are we sure they aren't a serial killer?) I'm sorry for the language, but seriously?

If I brought that home I'd be disgusted and I'd probably burn the thing. What would happen if a child got a hold of something like that? Do they card to sell a magazine like that? It's one thing to see graphic and violent images as a child if they are the real thing, but fake posed images of suicide seem much much worse because it's glorifying it. It's sick.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
But to sell copies? What kind of sick **** would buy a magazine simply to see dead or about to be dead women? And what kind of sick **** came up with that idea? (Are we sure they aren't a serial killer?) I'm sorry for the language, but seriously?

And yet, the target audience of this publication is the very same class of people that flies into a beard-twisting, screaming offended fit if anyone dares to call them "hipsters." They're lucky they don't get called a whole lot worse than that.

And yet, the target audience of this publication is the very same class of people that flies into a beard-twisting, screaming offended fit if anyone dares to call them "hipsters." They're lucky they don't get called a whole lot worse than that.
Hah! You gotta love,politically,correct, thin-skinned, modern I got a trophy for showing up kids...

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

I think given the uproar (probably started by a reader) we can feel safe in knowing that it's far from likely that hipsters in general (or hipster readers of this magazine in particular) are ok with it. It's likely a small segment of stupid people who came up with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24