Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on Selling Stetson Stratoliner

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
OK, I bought a Stratoliner from Baron a few weeks ago. His came with the correct box. I have another Stratoliner, too. I bought a Stratoliner box separately for it.

I have, however, decided I don't need 2 Stratoliners (especially since they are both the same color hat by coincidence).

The advice I need is this...

When I put them up on ebay, should I sell the box separately from the hat since I bought them separately? Or should I keep them together? Would I get more from the deal sold apart or sold together?

What do you guys think? You guys have more experience selling hats than I do. Which would net the bigger final price?

My biggest problem in offering it here is that I haven't a clue what price to ask. It seems like Stratoliners are going for some pretty high prices even in sizes 6-7/8 and 7 (the hats I have are in those sizes).

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Well, speaking as a hat buyer, I'm not sure that the presence of the Stratoliner box in an auction with a Stratoliner hat ever influenced me to bid higher, but I know I've been rather annoyed when I've seen a seller selling a hat and it's box seperately. :rage:

I'd guess that you'd make the higher profit by selling seperately, but you might want to hold off on selling the box until after the hat is sold to avoid annoying would-be bidders like me! ;)

Cheers,
Tom

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Tango, I agree with your concept. If I had bought them together, I'd 100% keep them together. But, I didn't buy the hat I want to sell WITH the box. I bought them at different times from different sources. As I said, I bought the hat and the box separately. (The one I got from Baron came together. That one I'm keeping together).

I am wondering if you guys think I'd make more selling them apart or selling them together?

DapperDuck

Familiar Face
You could try selling them here for the sum of what you paid plus some markup. You would avoid eBay's selling fees, which seem to be high now.

One of the dangers of eBay is that sometimes the bidder will get lucky and get it for peanuts. I recently put something up for auction on eBay expecting to get $200+ easily. It sold for $135 minus the eBay and PayPal fees, which was less than what I paid for it originally. I had two people write me to say that they were they weren't at their computers to bid and they were sorry it went for such a low price. :eusa_doh:

I'm not sure what a high price for a Stratoliner is nowadays. I bought a pristine Strat off eBay, size 7 in its original box, with its original receipt, for $39 + $11 shipping a few months back. It's too small for me, but I wanted a Strat for display.

Post some photos. Maybe someone will make you a decent offer.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Keeping in mind that it's not always about the money, perhaps you could accept offers from Loungers for 3 or 4 days. They would certainly represent the most interested buyers on ebay. I'd be among 'em, but for my large bean.

As for the box/no box issue, I doubt it makes much difference.

carldelo

One Too Many
In a tough market, the box will be a deal sweetener. I agree with the poster above - why not offer the pair here for what you paid, plus shipping and a 'not-bad-karma-inducing' markup if you want, give it a week or two and see what happens.

ideaguy

One Too Many
If it's the silver oval box, in very good condition, I'd sell them together, and really play up the box being so oval as to not
have the brim edges curl, and the neat 50's look-hat and box each; take great photos!!

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
If it's the silver oval box, in very good condition, I'd sell them together, and really play up the box being so oval as to not
have the brim edges curl, and the neat 50's look-hat and box each; take great photos!!

The one from Baron is the silver box. So is the box I bought on the bay. Not being familiar with the history of the Strato did they change the box at some point before discontinuing the line of hats?

Anyway, the other hat isn't with me yet, so I can't verify all the claims the folks that sold it to me said about it.

As an aside, I was surprised that Good Will had an auction site. Did you guys all know that?

I got the Strato and an Open Road No. 1 Quality in silverbelly (from about the 1950s or so) for real cheap. Looks like they don't have many hats at any given time, though. I was bidding on the Strato around the same time I agreed to get Baron's Strato. I was sure I would not win the Strato I was biding on and was surprised when I did. I was the only bidder as it turned out. Anyway, when I get it I'll look to see what condition it really is in because the photos were crap and I think the info made me a bit dubious.

If I offer it for what I paid for it (it was only $20) I am SURE I would be cheating my own self of what it is worth. I mean, come on. On ebay even a small Strato is going often for $60 and up -- often WAY up.

Anyway, I have to really think hard about this. The advice here was very helpful.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Here is that no 1 quality....

stetson_no1quality_01.jpg

stetson_no1quality_02.jpg

stetson_no1quality_03.jpg

By the way, it did not come with the Stetson box in the photo. And when it got here it was pretty beat up. I cleaned it up a bit.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Well, I just got in the Stratoliner from the other place in the mail today. It was sold as a size 7. It is actually a size 6-7/8. You know how it goes. Ya rolls the dice and takes yer chances.

singlechange

One of the Regulars
As a sometimes eBay buyer and seller, I've noticed that most items that come with a box, if the original box, often get a good price. For watches, fountain pens and hat, I personally would bid higher if it came with the box. I have often seen eBay goods up for auction with a small note included stating that the seller has the box and if the bidder is interested will sell it as well separately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda