Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero FQHH General Sizing/Shrinkage

tblay

One of the Regulars
I just wanted to ask about something that's a little confusing to me about Aero sizing. I want a standard weight, chrome-tanned FQHH jacket because of its resistance to weather (specifically, how it withstands wettings). I also want a really slim profile. Furthermore, I understand that, in a shower (manmade or otherwise), the FQHH will shrink. So, if I get an Aero that's appropriately slim-fitting, with appropriately longer sleeves for riding, but then I ride in a rainstorm, will the sleeves and body then be too short and tight due to shrinkage? If so, how can I correct for this when trying on fit jackets and imagining the best custom fit? Thanks for your opinions and help!

None of my Aero FQHH jackets has ever "shrunk". And I break them in by getting them soaking wet and wearing them for an hour while doing some activity that involves using my arms/shoulders...then letting them air dry.
The FQHH that Aero uses will mold itself to your body with a good soaking and wearing...that's one thing I like about it...but it won't "shrink" or "tighten" .
The sleeves will shorten a bit as the leather creases, same as with any steer.horse hide leather jacket. Maybe 1/2" to 1". But the leather does not actually "shrink".

Last edited:

winterland1

Practically Family
I think most all will agree with Jeff. You are safe to ride in the rain in a good leather jacket, encouraged actually. The only way I could see shrinkage occuring would be if a jacket was put in a dryer on a high heat and dried all the way. So we would not do that.

Let us know what jackets you are looking at for riding. I am sure someone here will have some opinions for you.

Xenophon

One of the Regulars
No shrinkage from a shower, as Jeff remarked the sleeves will shorten a bit through creasing though.

If you want it to be close fitting then speaking from personal experience and because this is also very important for me, I can give you the following tips:

1. Most important rule of all: under no circumstances just go by the size label of the jacket. Depending on your physical build and the model this might work but in most cases it won't yield a satisfactory result. Go with actual physical measurements. Aero will gladly supply those when asked.

2. How are you built? Basically this comes down to whether you're slim or not and it will to a large extent determine what style of jacket works best. If you like beer and bratwurst and it shows then certain types of jackets are not for you if you want a flattering look (at least according to my aesthetics, ymmv). O.t.o.h. if you've a more athletic build with a largish drop between shoulder/chest size and stomach/waist then this also means that some categories of jacket can present problems. Don't fight mother nature.

3. Certain types of jackets (basically anything from the late 40- '50s and most longer coats from Aero with the notable exception of the Barnstormer, which can be done very sleek/fitting indeed) have a roomier construction in line with the period or by design because they're meant to be worn over a suit/bulky clothing. If you want slim then generally you should look toward '20-30's style jackets and the cafe racer motorcycle series. You could once again try customizing things but personally I think it's not a good idea, the cut is the cut for a reason, it's not as if someone at Aero just haphazardly threw some leather panels together and started joining them.

A lot more vcan be said but the above are imho the main things to be considered. Work with Aero, measure up (have this done by someone) and select well within a certain category of jacket, keeping in mind its native cut, your body type and the effect you wish to achieve.

tblay

One of the Regulars
Thanks so much for the input and advice. Xenophon, I think you're absolutely spot on about making sure to not only pay attention to custom measurements but also to what styles/cuts are inherently slimming and which are boxier, for lack of a better term. I have the good fortune to be very slim and love exercise, so I want something that compliments that body style. I've settled on a Cafe Racer in brown FQHH. I usually prefer a full collar to a mandarin one, but I really like the slim silhouette and simple design of a cafe racer. I appreciate the advice. Feel free to share any other thoughts.

Xenophon

One of the Regulars
My pleasure, sure you'll enjoy the cafe racer but be prepared for a serious workout breaking in the FQHH. Don't know which bike you're riding but in Europe I have an MV Agusta brutale 800, bit of a nervous animal, I'd be hesitant to ride it wearing anything but a supple suit/jacket :) (actually over there I wear synthetics for riding it). I have the limited edition red cafe racer on order in size 38 (UK), will be more supple and ideal for riding my Enfield here in the Indian winter time. Thought I might as well go for a bit of an extreme colour.

Also, do NOT fudge your numbers for the maker. Give them your real numbers, and let them know how you want it to fit.
I've hot-showered two Aero FQHH jackets to a perfect fit/break-in. Just be patient and do it a little at a time.
Xeno and Jeff offer good advice above. Good luck!

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Also, do NOT fudge your numbers for the maker. Give them your real numbers, and let them know how you want it to fit.
I've hot-showered two Aero FQHH jackets to a perfect fit/break-in. Just be patient and do it a little at a time.
Xeno and Jeff offer good advice above. Good luck!

I believe it is the cold showers that causes shrinkage.:eeek:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I have an Aero Barnstormer in Brown FQHH and I just cannot imagine it shrinking. I've already worn it in the rain and a complete downpour and it laughed at it. It is some seriously hard wearing hide.

Aero's FQHH is also one of the most beautiful leathers you'll ever find, absolutely stunning, I find myself staring at it when I'm not wearing it. Yes, that probably sounds bloody sad but I'm embarrassed to say it's true.

If you're umming and aahing about getting a jacket in Aero's FQHH, don't. Get one you won't regret it.

tblay

One of the Regulars
I have an Aero Barnstormer in Brown FQHH and I just cannot imagine it shrinking. I've already worn it in the rain and a complete downpour and it laughed at it. It is some seriously hard wearing hide.

Aero's FQHH is also one of the most beautiful leathers you'll ever find, absolutely stunning, I find myself staring at it when I'm not wearing it. Yes, that probably sounds bloody sad but I'm embarrassed to say it's true.

If you're umming and aahing about getting a jacket in Aero's FQHH, don't. Get one you won't regret it.

I appreciate the vote of confidence! Glad to hear you're loving your Barnstormer. I don't blame you one bit for staring at it—I mean, glancing at it every now and then. What color did you go with?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up

tblay

One of the Regulars
My pleasure, sure you'll enjoy the cafe racer but be prepared for a serious workout breaking in the FQHH. Don't know which bike you're riding but in Europe I have an MV Agusta brutale 800, bit of a nervous animal, I'd be hesitant to ride it wearing anything but a supple suit/jacket :) (actually over there I wear synthetics for riding it). I have the limited edition red cafe racer on order in size 38 (UK), will be more supple and ideal for riding my Enfield here in the Indian winter time. Thought I might as well go for a bit of an extreme colour.

My main bike is a Triumph Bonnie. I love it. I also have an Enfield, which treats me well around town but doesn't work for longer trips (too much vibration).

I'm tempted to go with a suppler hide, just because I live in Houston and we have 6 month summers and such (and the breaking-in time you mentioned). But, for the sake of abrasion resistance, and since I sometimes travel to cold/wet climates for work, and by bike if I can help it, I'm going to go with the FQHH and just try to live in it for a couple months to start the break-in process.

Hope you're enjoying that Brutale. Nobody makes naked bikes like the Italians...

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
That is an absolutely beautiful jacket! What a score to get that "used" at a really decent price. Glad to hear it worked out great for you.

Thanks mate. I probably got the Aero deal of the year with that one. Been wearing it a lot lately. Nice thing with it is that you can remove the belt if you want to.

I definitely want another Aero in FQHH, probably a Deluxe Half Belt with a removable mouton collar like Butte here at the Lounge has. Although might have to go for black FQHH this time with rust mouton.

It's addictive stuff this Aero FQHH ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff