Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Simmons Bilt vs. Aero Half Belt sizing question

hungapotamus

New in Town
I'm sorry to clutter the forums with another Aero sizing question but mine is very specific.

I have a Simmons Bilt jacket size 40 that fits well but I'd like my next jacket to be a T-shirt fit if you will. I just purchased an Aero 50s half belt (I think) that's a size 36 (!) but I had the seller double check and remeasure so it seems like it "should" work for me.

Simmons Bilt size 40 dimensions:
-Chest: 22"
-Shoulder: 18.5”
-Sleeve: 24.5”
-Back Length: 24”
-Front Length: 25"
-Bottom Opening: 20.25"

Aero Half Belt size 36 dimensions:
-Chest: 53.5 cm (21")
-Shoulder: 46 cm (18")
-Sleeve: 62 cm (24.4”)
-Back Length: 60 cm (23.6”)
-Front Length: unknown (1-2" drop?)

I can comfortably layer a sweatshirt under the Simmons Bilt and it feels like there's excess material under my armpits.

First - are these 2 jacket patterns even a good point of comparison?

Second - what do you guys think? Will the Aero work for me?

I can still cancel the Aero since the back length and sleeves were a bit off in the sales listing.

PXL_20240201_045839256~2.jpg

Screenshot_20240213-151731.png

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think dropping sizes to get a slimmer fit is usually not going to get you there, like people who downsize the boxy Highwayman just end up with a weirdly-shaped jacket. You need a jacket that's supposed to be that slim.

Your jacket above is a CHP. If you get a slim pattern (like 1930s half belt or Premier Highwayman) in a 40, it'll wear slim. I don't think you can really compare across jacket types.

The pattern has much more to do with it than raw measurements, as I keep telling people here.

I have jackets with the same PTP where one is a shirt fit and the other can accommodate wearing a suit underneath.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner