Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Highwayman or Cossack.

Pony 18

New in Town
I have finally convinced myself to get an aero jacket. I am considering a highwayman with zippered or buttoned sleeves or the cossack model.I am 5'8" and 230 lbs and really cant wear a slim cut jacket. I will use it for general wear and riding my Harley. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I would like to sell two jackets to help fund this purchase. 1 Legendary Black Stallion Horsehide Size 46 and 1 Schott Perfecto Size 48. Both are new with tags still attached. If someone here is interested and would like a good deal. contact me. Thanks.

Lear

One of the Regulars
Pony 18 said:
<snip>I am 5'8" and 230 lbs and really cant wear a slim cut jacket.<snip>

Like you, I also can't wear a slim cut jacket. Have always considered the Highwayman to be a slim model. Maybe I'm wrong, having only ever owned a coat.

Lear

Edit: I'll keep my opinions to just the coats :eek:

Fiver64

Practically Family
the question

Can't say much about the Cossack, having never owned one, but the Highway (In my experience owning 2) is actually a rather boxy cut, and tends to lend itself nicely as cycle jacket. I have one for sale (size 46) in the classifieds right now if interested. Do you happen to have any pics of your jackets for sale that you could post? Probably better in the classifieds though. ;)

Johnnynotoes

Familiar Face
Hello Pony18! Two very nice jackets for sure. If those are the styles from Aero that catch your eye then there's a good chance the folks there can accomodate your dimensions. They'll let you know what's possible...very thorough folks.

That said, the Highwayman seems to be a roomier fit through the body as Fivers noted. From what I've read and noticed with mine this may be so. I had considered the Cossack but decided on the HWM because of what folks here were saying on the [Cossacks] slimmer body style. Again, the folks at Aero may be able to set you up any way you wish to go. Please advise when you get things under way and your ship[ment] comes in! We have a similar build perhaps...I'm 5' 9" and 220. I'm interested in knowing how the Cossack works on a stouter build.

...I would def. get zippered cuffs on the HWM. Regular cuff would make gauntlets a fuss to get on. You're in Nevada so perhaps gauntlets would be moot most of the year. Still for biking I'd want the option of a close cuff. Regular HWM sleeves are not close. The Cossack cuffs are great looking. That's what nearly sold me on that model. Close enough for gauntlets too. Another thing perhaps would be to consider an 'action back' option. For comfortable biking this is almost a must. Especially with the heavier leather of these jackets. I'm assuming you're looking at heavy horse. Heavy steer is a brute heavy hide as well. I don't use my HWM on my bike...I probably would once in a while if I had been aware the action back was an available option. Without an action back you might want to add a bit of length to the sleeves [handlebar reach]. There was a thread here by a chap owning a HWM with zipped sleeves and an action back. If I can find it I'll let you know. Really nice...pics as well.

Now I'm curious...anyone here with an action back Cossack? Oh...one more thing I'd add if I were to use this collar style for biking. A couple of hidden A-2 flight jacket type snaps in the lapels. Keeps them from flapping and rapping in the wind. Good luck with your choice.

nicholasb

One of the Regulars
Tough choice but a nice choice to be making. I have a highwayman which is excellent but really love the look of the cossack too.

The advice given here is really good but it would be worth contacting areo about the different cuts.

Pony 18

New in Town
Thanks to all for your comments. Is there a classified section here?. I would like to see your jacket Fiver. I am afraid 46 would be small though. I dont have a way of posting pics yet , but maybe i could get some help so I could post pics. I never thought of the collar snaps Johnnynotoes mentioned. Good Idea. After reading all the posts here about aero on this forum, I guess I will contact aeroleatherusa and get things going. I would also like to custumize with inner pockets. I Like the look of the cossack but would probably be more comfortable with the highwayman. It appears to be cut similar to a Levi jumper.

mopar 38

New in Town
HI ,

I`m Harley Rider too , and i love Jakets with Style Too .
My choice is AERO Hercules Horse Hide .
You can`t wear this heavy Jacket in south California , but here in Germany it is perfect.
Contact Amanda of Aero , tell her how much Chocolate with hazelnuts You consume per week , and she will create the perfect Aero Jacket for You.
The Arms of my Hercules were made 1 Inch longer ( better for riding ).
A Friend of mine owns a HWM , when he rides his Harley ,it is too short , not good for Kidneys !!
Please don`t laugh about my KRAUT - English.

Fiver64

Practically Family
Classifieds Aero Highwayman

Yes Pony, there is a classifieds with photos of the Highwayman I have for sale, as well as the measurements. Tried to PM you but I guess you are still to new to the forum for PM privileges. Best to check with Aero for sizing, but for an idea, I'm 6-1, 210 lbs. and the 46 is plenty roomy, especially with the side straps out.

BTW, welcome to the FL, Mopar............. your "Kraut-English" is plenty good!

Johnnynotoes

Familiar Face
Good point Mopar...length is important when considering a utility Aero for use as a bike jacket. An extra inch or more will certainly enlarge the comfort zone and still look good. I have a Bristol cafe style that's a perfect length [almost mid back pocket] and a Schott horse in the same style that, while a nice looking jacket, is just too damned short for chilly spring and fall days.

roperdad

New in Town
5'9", 190. I have a Cossack in size 42. It is drawn in all the way, and I'm sure I could gain some girth and still be fine. They added inches to the length 'cause I wanted a longer fit. I'm saying you cant' go wrong either way. Tell them what you want and you'll get it;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24