Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero/Langlitz/Lewis leathers (a.k.a ALL thread)

high-maintenance

One of the Regulars
Hello, fellow loungers.

Old time lurker, New in the forum.

I want to share some of my rather limited experience with top notch leather companies that I have.

+English is not my mother language. Please be generous on mistakes that I make!

{Bartender Edit: Welcome to the Fedora Lounge. We have a very strict ban on discussing politics, so we've had to remove your introduction, however well intended.
Enjoy your time here.

Scotrace}

My measurements : chest 44 inch / Height 5'8'' / shoulder 19.5 inch

1)Aero leathers
Highwayman 40
CafeRacer 44
One word. Splendid!
Simply the best jacket you can get in this price range. My Highwayman is black FQHH and I've been wearing this for about a year. It has developed an amazing patina. Solid Brass Talon zipper and ball chain zipper are solid but smooth when they glide. Chromexcel FQHH is a supple leather and I would recommend it to anyone except for those who can't stand the weight. Boy they are heavy! People at Aero are very helpful and informative. However, you're gonna have to be patient with e-mail, becuase from what I experienced, they only answer one time a day. (Average number of e-mail for one custom jacket would be about 3~4. This means that it'll take at least 3 days just to order. I recommend you just create a skype account and call'em directly!)

Pros : great jacket, definitely long-lasting. feels like a brass armour. If you're a motorcyclist, this is the one. A variety of designs to choose from.(they even have western style shirts!) +FQHH is iridescent and looks handsome even when they're splotchy.

Cons : Nothing much except for the weight of FQHH horsehide. (You can solve this by choosing mid-weight leathers)

Price : $700~$1200

Sizing tip :
Highwayman - go down at least one size (I downed 2 sizes and it still gives me enough room to layer up)
CafeRacer - runs true to size. If you're 44, you're 44.

2)Langlitz leathers.
Bought Langlitz flight jacket when I visited Portland. (Portland is a great city. A lot of places to visit if you're a coffee aficionado) Nice shop located in a quiet neighborhood. If you have some time, I recommend visit their office and take a look at the large sum of selection they offer. I think they have this used jacket rack that is offered at discounted price. And it is best to be measured directly by the professionals at Langlitz. Clerks are friendly and willing to sell. They also sell Wesco boots and Dehen1920 zip motorcycle wool sweater. I personally recommend Dehen 1920 sweater, they are thick, supple and good for layering. I know there are people who are not so crazy about Langlitz and I understand. The fit of the stock Langlitz can be rather forgiving. However, you can always do a custom jacket that is not motorcycle fit and the result sure looked fantastic. The goat leather they offer is very pliable but durable at the same time and the cowhide is just thick and grainy. Great choice if you're a serious motorcyclist.

Pros : great quality, made in USA, big-ass Talon zipper, supple and dense hide, fully customizable

Cons : leather dressing they provide tends to be trapped beside the thread line
(I recommend use other leather creams you have), maybe fit (to some)

Price : starting from $1000

Sizing tip : runs pretty much true to the size (I sized up for the heavy layering) + their sleeve length tends to run long so keep in mind!

3)Lewis leathers
Bought this at London Lewis leathers. Amazing place to visit. If you're in London, you gotta go visit there. Plenty of stock jacket in various sizes ready. Check your limits on your credit card before entering in the leather sanctuary of London. The quality of the jacket is top-notch and the subsidiary materials such as zippers and rivets are indisputably high-end.
They basically offer 3 types of hide; horse, cow, lamb. Tried them all, liked them all.
If you want something light but substantial, go with the lambskin. Interestingly, the lambskin they have is even thicker than some of the Japanese horsehide. A variety of designs to choose from; from classic jackets the Steve Mcqueen wore to modern jacket that Commes des garcon chose to collaborate with.

Pros : top-notch, made in UK, historical value, best that money can buy, amazing lining with classic touch

Cons : Nothing really... maybe some of the models are too modern for fedora lounge

Price : starting from $900 (You should be able to get a huge tax refund if you buy them in London)

Thanks for reading and please share your opinions on your Aero/Langlitz/Lewis leathers

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Woodyear

Familiar Face
Hello, fellow loungers.

Old time lurker, New in the forum.

I want to share some of my rather limited experience with top notch leather companies that I have.

+English is not my mother language. Please be generous on mistakes that I make!

My measurements : chest 44 inch / Height 5'8'' / shoulder 19.5 inch

1)Aero leathers
Highwayman 40
CafeRacer 44
One word. Splendid!
Simply the best jacket you can get in this price range. My Highwayman is black FQHH and I've been wearing this for about a year. It has developed an amazing patina. Solid Brass Talon zipper and ball chain zipper are solid but smooth when they glide. Chromexcel FQHH is a supple leather and I would recommend it to anyone except for those who can't stand the weight. Boy they are heavy! People at Aero are very helpful and informative. However, you're gonna have to be patient with e-mail, becuase from what I experienced, they only answer one time a day. (Average number of e-mail for one custom jacket would be about 3~4. This means that it'll take at least 3 days just to order. I recommend you just create a skype account and call'em directly!)

Pros : great jacket, definitely long-lasting. feels like a brass armour. If you're a motorcyclist, this is the one. A variety of designs to choose from.(they even have western style shirts!) +FQHH is iridescent and looks handsome even when they're splotchy.

Cons : Nothing much except for the weight of FQHH horsehide. (You can solve this by choosing mid-weight leathers)

Price : $700~$1200

Sizing tip :
Highwayman - go down at least one size (I downed 2 sizes and it still gives me enough room to layer up)
CafeRacer - runs true to size. If you're 44, you're 44.

2)Langlitz leathers.
Bought Langlitz flight jacket when I visited Portland. (Portland is a great city. A lot of places to visit if you're a coffee aficionado) Nice shop located in a quiet neighborhood. If you have some time, I recommend visit their office and take a look at the large sum of selection they offer. I think they have this used jacket rack that is offered at discounted price. And it is best to be measured directly by the professionals at Langlitz. Clerks are friendly and willing to sell. They also sell Wesco boots and Dehen1920 zip motorcycle wool sweater. I personally recommend Dehen 1920 sweater, they are thick, supple and good for layering. I know there are people who are not so crazy about Langlitz and I understand. The fit of the stock Langlitz can be rather forgiving. However, you can always do a custom jacket that is not motorcycle fit and the result sure looked fantastic. The goat leather they offer is very pliable but durable at the same time and the cowhide is just thick and grainy. Great choice if you're a serious motorcyclist.

Pros : great quality, made in USA, big-ass Talon zipper, supple and dense hide, fully customizable

Cons : leather dressing they provide tends to be trapped beside the thread line
(I recommend use other leather creams you have), maybe fit (to some)

Price : starting from $1000

Sizing tip : runs pretty much true to the size (I sized up for the heavy layering) + their sleeve length tends to run long so keep in mind!

3)Lewis leathers
Bought this at London Lewis leathers. Amazing place to visit. If you're in London, you gotta go visit there. Plenty of stock jacket in various sizes ready. Check your limits on your credit card before entering in the leather sanctuary of London. The quality of the jacket is top-notch and the subsidiary materials such as zippers and rivets are indisputably high-end.
They basically offer 3 types of hide; horse, cow, lamb. Tried them all, liked them all.
If you want something light but substantial, go with the lambskin. Interestingly, the lambskin they have is even thicker than some of the Japanese horsehide. A variety of designs to choose from; from classic jackets the Steve Mcqueen wore to modern jacket that Commes des garcon chose to collaborate with.

Pros : top-notch, made in UK, historical value, best that money can buy, amazing lining with classic touch

Cons : Nothing really... maybe some of the models are too modern for fedora lounge

Price : starting from $900 (You should be able to get a huge tax refund if you buy them in London)

Thanks for reading and please share your opinions on your Aero/Langlitz/Lewis leathers

View attachment 79532 View attachment 79533 View attachment 79534 View attachment 79535 View attachment 79536 View attachment 79537

I too am a longtime lurker, new poster, so welcome - it's really nice to finally come out the shadows and begin posting isn't it? Aside from the incoherent rant at the beginning your post seems really detailed and well thought through, you should just stick to the jacket stuff and omit the preambles next time, as politics is banned here, especially the angry, bitter brand of politics which you seem to be espousing.

But I will say, you have tremendous taste in jackets, you chose some of the nicest makers around. Interestingly, I have two jackets that I got in 2010 and 2011 respectively, from an internet based made-to-measure shop based out of South Korea. I have quite a few jackets from various makers but one of these is my absolute favorite with the other not far behind. Really amazing horse hide and super thick soft calf respectively. The brand was called TOJ or temple of jawnz and has been mistakenly referred to as low grade mall brand status here, but was actually really notable for their wonderful patterning and fit. Theyre constructed with excellent materials but they're by no means perfect - a slight wave in the zipper here, a botched stitch there - between the two of them. The guy who founded the brand was a total charlatan and ended up scamming a bunch of people over at style forum, but in a weird way they kind of deserved it. Basically I'm just glad I got my two jackets when I did and got the hell away from that place. You'll find a far better group of people right here at fedora lounge. Enjoy the jackets!

Last edited by a moderator:

high-maintenance

One of the Regulars
I too am a longtime lurker, new poster, so welcome - it's really nice to finally come out the shadows and begin posting isn't it? Aside from the incoherent rant at the beginning your post seems really detailed and well thought through, you should just stick to the jacket stuff and omit the preambles next time, as politics is banned here, especially the angry, bitter brand of politics which you seem to be espousing.

But I will say, you have tremendous taste in jackets, you chose some of the nicest makers around. Interestingly, I have two jackets that I got in 2010 and 2011 respectively, from an internet based made-to-measure shop based out of South Korea. I have quite a few jackets from various makers but one of these is my absolute favorite with the other not far behind. Really amazing horse hide and super thick soft calf respectively. The brand was called TOJ or temple of jawnz and has been mistakenly referred to as low grade mall brand status here, but was actually really notable for their wonderful patterning and fit. Theyre constructed with excellent materials but they're by no means perfect - a slight wave in the zipper here, a botched stitch there - between the two of them. The guy who founded the brand was a total charlatan and ended up scamming a bunch of people over at style forum, but in a weird way they kind of deserved it. Basically I'm just glad I got my two jackets when I did and got the hell away from that place. You'll find a far better group of people right here at fedora lounge. Enjoy the jackets!

Hello, Woodyear

I didn't know political remarks are banned in the forum. duly noted. I'll not write any political stuff on the forum. (As a concerned South Korean, I just wanted to reach out to foreigners who are concerned / furious over what's going on in Korean peninsula recently.)
It sure feels good to be out and interact with others.

I'm glad that your fav jacket was made in South Korea and even more glad that you got away with a possible mishap that could have happened. Though the #1 jacket maker in Asia is undoubtedly Japan, South Korean makers are improving themselves season after season. (American Classic attires are not as popular as they are in Japan, sadly) Hopefully one day, South Korea will make some decent real deal leather jackets as Japanese experts do.

Again, thanks for your advice and have a nice day!

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Yep welcome to our politics free zone.

I'd be interested in knowing more about S Korean leather work. I have a mall jacket that is made in Korea and it is extremely well made. I understand S Korea is celebrated for its leather craftsman. Certainly they were 10-20 years ago. I am interested in quality but mainly at the "bottom" end of the market. I have access to a large disposable income but I can't bring myself to spending it on clothing. Anyway I am most fascinated by great ordinary things, like Seiko watches or Dickies work coats: where you get exceptional bang for buck.

Last edited:

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome to the lounge.

I don't think anyone has issues with South Koreans, sure the leader of the North is a nut job but most of us understand what the basic issues are in Korea, and it's not the general population of South Korea.

Nice collection of jackets! Hope to seem then more often in the what jacket are you wearing today thread.

high-maintenance

One of the Regulars
Yep welcome to our politics free zone.

I'd be interested in knowing more about S Korean leather work. I have a mall jacket that is made in Korea and it is extremely well made. I understand S Korea is celebrated for its leather craftsman. Certainly they were 10-20 years ago. I am interested in quality but mainly at the "bottom" end of the market. I have access to a large disposable income but I can't bring myself to spending it on clothing. Anyway I am most fascinated by great ordinary things, like Seiko watches or Dickies work coats: where you get exceptional bang for buck.

Hi, Seb.

Thanks for your interest in S Korean jackets. Yes, though I am not an expert, there were a lot of S Korean leather companies that did 'outsourced work' for American companies a few decades ago just like China / Vietman do nowadays. I would say that is due to the low wage companies had to pay. According to online forums in S Korea, there were many skilled leather artisans who made jackets that met higher standards. But it seems that most of them just retired or simply doing other business other than leather jackets. Even then, people were not aware of the presence of these leather jackets because they just were not meant for domestic market. (An irony of outsourcing nation) I heard that there are still leather artisans who make proper A2 and G1 near US-military station in Songtan city, but can't tell you much about them as I have no experience with their jacket. (Heard that it is a good starting jacket for beginners of A2) These days, many young leather artisans are trying to bring back the golden age of leather jackets in South Korea, and I am keeping an eye on them.

I really think your shopping philosophy is very wise. Seiko watches and Dickies are perfect examples of 'Bang for a Buck'. Hope I can gain 'tranquility in mind' that you have at some point in my life!

high-maintenance

One of the Regulars
Welcome to the lounge.

I don't think anyone has issues with South Koreans, sure the leader of the North is a nut job but most of us understand what the basic issues are in Korea, and it's not the general population of South Korea.

Nice collection of jackets! Hope to seem then more often in the what jacket are you wearing today thread.

Hi, ProteinNerd

It looks like you are a workout buff.
What product do you use? MyProtein? =)

Thanks for your understanding! & I'll definitely post some pics on that thread when the autumn comes. (Here in S Korea, it's hot as frying pan)

Those are really cool jackets, high-maintenance! Really nice Aeros.

Just wanna say, premium quality leather jackets made in South Korea, as in the early 90's HD gear (Anniversary collections, etc.) or stuff made for those French companies specialized in American heritage clothes (decades before RMC even existed or even Pegasus right now) is at the same level as all the major makers of today. These jackets were out of this world in both hide, construction and material. Insanely good quality. I had this made in Korea HD jacket, a D-pocket done in a reddened black horsehide... Honestly, it's in my top three nicest jackets I've handled list. Still regret selling it (it was too big, XXL or something)... The other Korean made jacket that I've had, a Lee Trevor CHP jacket I gave to a friend was so freaking cool I've witnessed women walking up to him just to say that he's got a really cool jacket. Times it happened to me so far after $100,000,000 spent on leather jackets: 0

Anyway, while I tried not to care, I used to prefer my jackets had a tag that said Made in USA / UK but now, I consider the fact that the jacket was made in Korea as a huge pro. Lifetime pieces in every aspect.

high-maintenance

One of the Regulars
Those are really cool jackets, high-maintenance! Really nice Aeros.

Just wanna say, premium quality leather jackets made in South Korea, as in the early 90's HD gear (Anniversary collections, etc.) or stuff made for those French companies specialized in American heritage clothes (decades before RMC even existed or even Pegasus right now) is at the same level as all the major makers of today. These jackets were out of this world in both hide, construction and material. Insanely good quality. I had this made in Korea HD jacket, a D-pocket done in a reddened black horsehide... Honestly, it's in my top three nicest jackets I've handled list. Still regret selling it (it was too big, XXL or something)... The other Korean made jacket that I've had, a Lee Trevor CHP jacket I gave to a friend was so freaking cool I've witnessed women walking up to him just to say that he's got a really cool jacket. Times it happened to me so far after $100,000,000 spent on leather jackets: 0

Anyway, while I tried not to care, I used to prefer my jackets had a tag that said Made in USA / UK but now, I consider the fact that the jacket was made in Korea as a huge pro. Lifetime pieces in every aspect.

Wow that is a news to me.
I didn't know S Korea made jackets for Harely Davidson. I kinda dig old vintage HD jackets.
I've seen a few in vintage shops and they were just magnificent.
And yes, I heard that there were some skilled leather artisans back in the days but they are mostly retired I suppose.
It seems that there are not many leather makers left in S Korea except for young people who are fond of vintage American workwear and motorcycle.
It's such a shame that those quality leather jackets are rarely seen in here nowadays.

+It's amazing that you've spent more than $100,000,000 on leather jackets.
You deserve an appellation of "leather King".

Woodyear

Familiar Face
Wow that is a news to me.
I didn't know S Korea made jackets for Harely Davidson. I kinda dig old vintage HD jackets.
I've seen a few in vintage shops and they were just magnificent.
And yes, I heard that there were some skilled leather artisans back in the days but they are mostly retired I suppose.
It seems that there are not many leather makers left in S Korea except for young people who are fond of vintage American workwear and motorcycle.
It's such a shame that those quality leather jackets are rarely seen in here nowadays.

Those makers are still there you just have to find them. The guy who designed my TOJ jackets in Korea farmed out the production to a select few mom and pop craftsmen who he described as old school artisans. And honestly the work reflects that, it's clear they're nearly on par with Aero etc in terms of construction, and the leather which he was able to source in Korea is easily some of the best I've ever seen. So the talent and the material is definitely available if you look hard enough.

high-maintenance

One of the Regulars
Those makers are still there you just have to find them. The guy who designed my TOJ jackets in Korea farmed out the production to a select few mom and pop craftsmen who he described as old school artisans. And honestly the work reflects that, it's clear they're nearly on par with Aero etc in terms of construction, and the leather which he was able to source in Korea is easily some of the best I've ever seen. So the talent and the material is definitely available if you look hard enough.

That is a great news.
I should start finding them out.

I'll put out feelers.

Thanks for the info!! =)

lol I was exaggerating, I didn't spend that much on jackets! I don't think you can spend that much on leather jackets? But I did spend too much money on them, more than I ever should've had.

high-maintenance

One of the Regulars
lol I was exaggerating, I didn't spend that much on jackets! I don't think you can spend that much on leather jackets? But I did spend too much money on them, more than I ever should've had.

For a second I thought you were a rich banker listed on a Forbes rank.
Spending too much money on leather and clothes is a universal problem that we all have in this forum. =)

high-maintenance

One of the Regulars
Certainly more affordable....wonder what they are like in person?

According to reviews in S Korean forums, they are solid.

Nice leather, high-end zipper and snap buttons.

+It's cheaper than other high-end makers.

Can't tell if they are gonna last a lifetime since they started a few years ago but certainly will last long based on the quality of the materials they use.

Again, the only drawback is the fact that they only make jackets as big as size 40.

Great choice if you're under size 40.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner