Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Leather(Battersea) 1983 catalogue)

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Just thought some of you may like to see this.
Ken sent me the original when I bought my Lucky Seven jacket in July 1983. I gave this back to Ken a few years back but had a couple of copes printed off. Anyone have an earlier copy? As this was not the first according to Ken.
You may notice a lack of label descriptions in these items.
A couple of the jackets have re-surfaced recently having gone back to the USA then back here again. Bob Sims was selling the size 38 424th Long Rangers jacket at Beltring War & Peace a couple of years back, cant remember the price but it was around £1500.

You will have to enlarge the pics if you want to read the jacket descriptions but if someone can show me how to convert it from a jpeg to a PDF and link it to here I could post it full size and put the rest of it up.

Johnny Tee

PB020070.jpg

PB020071.jpg

PB020072.jpg

PB020073.jpg

wdw

One Too Many
Very interesting Johnny, especially the second last description. I'm struggling to remember ordinary jacket prices from 30 years ago, but the £130-£180 ones strike me as relatively reasonably priced.

What would be the current day equivalent of those prices, and also current selling prices? Presumably they're quite a lot dearer now in relative terms because of increased scarcity.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Didnt realize I had cropped off the prices of the last page. I saw most of these jackets and all the provenance that went with them, The last jacket is my 'Lucky Seven' I have posted pics of recently, price then was £185. But within a couple of years these jackets would be beyond the pockets of most collectors as the Japanese were willing to pay almost anything to get hold of them.
By 1985 decent plain jackets would be in the £1000 range with decorated items around £3000 in some cases. Pop stars had got in on the act as well, I seem to remember a connection with the Pretenders group. I can even recall a Japanese film depicting a young man who was a bit of a nobody within his gang because he could only afford a 'Mall' jacket.
Then the Japanese got a bit fed up with them and went on to bike jackets and prices plummeted though have now been consistent for quite a few years, a decent condition original decorated jacket retailing around £1000 but with provenance they can still reach some premium prices.

WdW, were you a collector from back then?

wdw

One Too Many
Johnny, I was thinking in relative terms of jacket prices, as in what your average Joe might pay for say a Levi denim jacket then compared to now. Having said that, I don't know what the current price for a Levi denim jacket is anyway.

I wasn't a collector then, as I was unemployed and scraping by, and it's only since I joined this forum earlier this year that I came to know anything at all about such jackets. Having said that, I can see the attraction, especially if you have the provenance of the jackets you detail above. I've learned an awful lot since coming on here and really admire and appreciate the knowledge and helpfulness of all who contribute.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran