Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Mid-Weight Hide advice

FAFOO68

Familiar Face
Hello Gentlemen,
Always in the project of a new jacket (50's Half Belt style), in a medium / chocolate Brown, off the rack (Schott USA) or customised as Aero.
Here in France, with the customs taxes from the US, we are in the same range of price like the British manufacturers.
Back to Aero, what kind of mid-weight hide (3 oz) could you advice me ?
I'am hesitate between Steerhide or Horsehide, so what the pros and cons of each hide ?
All opinions are welcome !
Cheers,
F68

oldcrow82

One of the Regulars
I would have to point you to the search function. All of those topics are discussed adnauseum here. Might I suggest however Pegasus leather jackets. They are located in France. You might be able to get measured in person, and from what I remember their hides are mostly in the 3oz range.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Mid weight is usually 2 to 2.5 oz. I have a few jackets in 2.5 oz and it's my favourite thickness. It's plenty thick enough for hard wear and the thickness of many of the 1960's Brimaco and Brooks leather jackets.

FAFOO68

Familiar Face
Hello,
Thanks Old Crow, but I didn' find the comparison between the different Aero Mid-Weight Steerhide and Horsehide ("adnauseum discussed") on the FL, that's why i asking an advice to the members.
I had a look on Pegasus jackets but the they doesn't propose a "civilian"Half Belt jacket, the HB they have is really "motorcycle" type. They have a nice Luftwaffe too (which is similar to the Eastman).
Cheers,
F68

Plumbline

One Too Many
Hello,
Thanks Old Crow, but I didn' find the comparison between the different Aero Mid-Weight Steerhide and Horsehide ("adnauseum discussed") on the FL, that's why i asking an advice to the members.
I had a look on Pegasus jackets but the they doesn't propose a "civilian"Half Belt jacket, the HB they have is really "motorcycle" type. They have a nice Luftwaffe too (which is similar to the Eastman).
Cheers,
F68

Mid-weight is the PERFECT weight for a non motorcycle jacket IMHO. It is supple enough and flexible enough to be comfortable from the get go and is PLENTY tough enough for everything you could throw at it. Horse or Steer is a personal thing ... there isn't much to choose between them if the tannig process is the same (again IMHO) Chrome Tanned Horse is VERY similar to Chrome Tanned Steer etc. etc. I prefer Steer .... its my personal preference. A jerky or Vintage Horse is probably as tough as i'd go.

Edward

Bartender
Absent modern armour / padding protection, I wouldn't wear mid weight on the back of a bike. I'd feel considerably better protected in a heavier hide. Cetainly comparing my horse A2 to my Aero FQHH jackets, I know I'd feel safer in the latter. Hopefully, though, I'll never have first-hand knowledge as to which is better in a spill!

FAFOO68

Familiar Face
Hello,
I agree, Steerhide or Horsehide, it's a matter of taste rather than hide.The tanning process looks very important too.
I will ask Holly if they have in stock some mid-brown / chocolate Brown in Steerhide because in Horsehide only the classic Seal Brown looks available.
Cheers,
F68

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
hi f68,,i have a aero halfbelt made with brown mid weight h/h,,great jacket,fantastic hide,too nice to wear on my bikes though,

FAFOO68

Familiar Face
Yes, mid-weight hides are definitively inappropriate for biking (until if you're doesn't expect to crash !!!).
I don't riding so i don't need a leather armor made of FQHH or Heavy Steerhide.
The best way to me is to ask some samples and make my choice...
F68

Edward

Bartender
Yes, mid-weight hides are definitively inappropriate for biking (until if you're doesn't expect to crash !!!).
I don't riding so i don't need a leather armor made of FQHH or Heavy Steerhide.
The best way to me is to ask some samples and make my choice...
F68

Definitely. Nothing can beat actually experiencing it for yourself. If you don't ride, protection isn't an issue. I'd be thinking more about drape. The halfbelt jackets look great in any hide. Some of the others, IMO, look better in some hides than others. For myself, I much prefer the look of a Highwayman in the softer Eurosteer than FQHH. JUst something about the cut that drapes better that way to my eye. Of course, I've also handled quite a few originals to which the mid weight hides bore a closer resemblance than FQHH, so that may have biased my opinion.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael