Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Aero Leather advice - lightweight CXFQHH or Pinnacle?

jkohlx

New in Town
Hi,

I'm in the process of deciding on which leather to go for for my first Aero Leather jacket and wanted to ask for some advice, having read a fair amount on this forum already.

The style I'm planning to go for is the Zip Sleeve Highwayman in black, as I like a boxy fit. I live in London, UK, and want something that will keep me warm in the cooler months (with layers underneath), but not something so heavy that I won't wear because of the weight/break in period.

I love the look of CXFQHH for it's shine and minimal grain - Holly suggested going for either the lighter weight CXFQHH that they currently have in stock, or Pinnacle, which I realise is relatively new to Aero. These both seem like good options. My concern is that Pinnacle could to too thin and not substancial feeling enough - but CXFQHH might be too heavy for me to wear comfortably. Though maybe this isn't an issue with the thinner hide? I've ordered samples of the two, which should help - though of course difficult to get a sense of how this would actually feel when worn.

Could anyone with experience of these two leathers give any advice on which might be more appropriate? I live near Bolt (London stockist), so planning to get measured there and order through them.

Thank you!
J

TartuWolf

Practically Family
There's not that much experience or feedback yet on Pinnacle. But it seems that it would be much softer and a bit thinner than even thin CXL.
My vote would definitely go for the thinner cxl.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I love the look of CXFQHH for it's shine and minimal grain
Minimal Grain?
I wouldn't be so sure.
1700574379097.jpeg

I know that wasn't the question, but yesterday I wore my Vicenza leather jacket again and thought to myself how pleasantly light (although it's not that light) this jacket is.
So if you're not already 120% committed to CXL, I'd consider that too.
Otherwise, I'd probably go for the thin CXL rather than the Pinnacle.

jkohlx

New in Town
Minimal Grain?
I wouldn't be so sure.
View attachment 562507

I know that wasn't the question, but yesterday I wore my Vicenza leather jacket again and thought to myself how pleasantly light (although it's not that light) this jacket is.
So if you're not already 120% committed to CXL, I'd consider that too.
Otherwise, I'd probably go for the thin CXL rather than the Pinnacle.
My impression of Vicenza is that the grain is more pronounced, and softer leather? Perhaps minimal grain isn't the right term - but I like the more 'matte' look of CXL. Your Vicenza looks great here though. Maybe I'll order a sample of that too.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Your Vicenza looks great here though.
Do you mean the picture in my answer? That would be FQHH CXL. I wanted to show as an example that this can also be a lot of grain. But looking at Vicenza certainly doesn't hurt. But you're right, it's less stiff than the CXL HH

jkohlx

New in Town
In terms of fit, this will be the next thing I obsess over I'm sure. Although my taste is less traditional than most on here - I like the fit a little oversized and not too cropped. I want to be able to wear a thick jumper underneath...

I'm hoping that getting measured at Bolt will help get it right!
My not asked for opinion is that the leather choice is the least important factor in buying a high end leather jacket.. any leather Aero stock is going to look feel and break in amazing.. nail the fit and everything else will work out.

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
My not asked for opinion is that the leather choice is the least important factor in buying a high end leather jacket.. any leather Aero stock is going to look feel and break in amazing.. nail the fit and everything else will work out.

I'll disagree in that based on my experience I wouldn't recommend the regular/heavy CXL for anything 'slim-cut'. With the exception of something like the Ridley. The more generous neck hole and shoulder gussets help make that style wearable in the heavy CXL.

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Hi,

I'm in the process of deciding on which leather to go for for my first Aero Leather jacket and wanted to ask for some advice, having read a fair amount on this forum already.

The style I'm planning to go for is the Zip Sleeve Highwayman in black, as I like a boxy fit. I live in London, UK, and want something that will keep me warm in the cooler months (with layers underneath), but not something so heavy that I won't wear because of the weight/break in period.

I love the look of CXFQHH for it's shine and minimal grain - Holly suggested going for either the lighter weight CXFQHH that they currently have in stock, or Pinnacle, which I realise is relatively new to Aero. These both seem like good options. My concern is that Pinnacle could to too thin and not substancial feeling enough - but CXFQHH might be too heavy for me to wear comfortably. Though maybe this isn't an issue with the thinner hide? I've ordered samples of the two, which should help - though of course difficult to get a sense of how this would actually feel when worn.

Could anyone with experience of these two leathers give any advice on which might be more appropriate? I live near Bolt (London stockist), so planning to get measured there and order through them.

Thank you!
J

About the leather, I've got both, lightweight CXL FQHH and lightweight Pinnacle FQHH. I can't say enough good thing about lightweight CXL FQHH. It is very wearable even in the wet cold, and still feel very strong leather, and looks awesome. I would say lightweight CXL FQHH wears like 14oz denim, and heavyweight CXL FQHH wears like 20oz plus denim. And Pinnacle wears like sweatshirt, I feel it could benefit from being thicker. Although thin Pinnacle doesn't feel weak either, but for these deertan / glovetan type leather I would want thicker as they can handle thicker. The finish on CXL is obviously better imo.

Pinnacle sleeve on the left and thin CXL sleeve on the right. Thick CXL FQHH cannot drape like the thinner stuff and that makes it feels like an iron plate in cold situations. Lightweight CXL FQHH is really the best.
IMG_0274.JPG

About fit, try on the OTR jackets at Bolt, then you will know which one to buy, and what you want to customize, usually just add length.

Good luck.

jkohlx

New in Town
About the leather, I've got both, lightweight CXL FQHH and lightweight Pinnacle FQHH. I can't say enough good thing about lightweight CXL FQHH. It is very wearable even in the wet cold, and still feel very strong leather, and looks awesome. I would say lightweight CXL FQHH wears like 14oz denim, and heavyweight CXL FQHH wears like 20oz plus denim. And Pinnacle wears like sweatshirt, I feel it could benefit from being thicker. Although thin Pinnacle doesn't feel weak either, but for these deertan / glovetan type leather I would want thicker as they can handle thicker. The finish on CXL is obviously better imo.

Pinnacle sleeve on the left and thin CXL sleeve on the right. Thick CXL FQHH cannot drape like the thinner stuff and that makes it feels like an iron plate in cold situations. Lightweight CXL FQHH is really the best.
View attachment 562571

About fit, try on the OTR jackets at Bolt, then you will know which one to buy, and what you want to customize, usually just add length.

Good luck.

This is extremely helpful, thanks for sharing the photo and your experience with the two leathers. Also the denim comparison is a great help as I'm more familiar with that. The 14oz comparison almost made me think I should possible be going for a heavier weight! I'm definitely going to go with the CXL FQHH - seems like the overwhelming preference.

Now need to decide on my lining - I'm considering quilted in Petrol Blue, but this may be too warm to wear beyond winter. I also like the Buchanan blue tartan a lot. And the Navy Sateen!

58panheadfan

One Too Many
I have owned a few aero leather jackets in CXL FQHH and said goodbye to them all. The reason: the cxl fqhh is actually a shoe leather and is extremely thick and heavy. In addition, the jacket is not wearable in colder temperatures, it becomes hard as a board due to the fats, which are treated into the leather during the tanning process. I switched back to “lighter” leather jackets.

jkohlx

New in Town
I have owned a few aero leather jackets in CXL FQHH and said goodbye to them all. The reason: the cxl fqhh is actually a shoe leather and is extremely thick and heavy. In addition, the jacket is not wearable in colder temperatures, it becomes hard as a board due to the fats, which are treated into the leather during the tanning process. I switched back to “lighter” leather jackets.
Has this been your experience even with lighter weight CXL FQHH? What leather do you go for these days?

TartuWolf

Practically Family
How much "colder" are we talking about? Wore mine a few times now for a few hours in below freezing temperatures and didn't notice any hardening.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
Has this been your experience even with lighter weight CXL FQHH? What leather do you go for these days?
I was talking about the heavy stuff. I meant the Horween CXL FQHH aero is using. This leather in my opinion is a nice leather for a motorcycle jacket which gives a good amount of protection like an armor. Also it is some kind of waterproof but for a casual jacket it's to heavy. I had the lighter weight Horween (?) CXL FQHH too but in colder temps it was the same, super stiff an uncomfortable. As you said you are looking for a Leather Jacket which keeps you warm in colder temps I would go for Kelpie, Jerky HH or as suggested Vicenza. You always can ask for going for a more plain than grainy Leather. These days I am going for veg tan HH in 1.2 mm range. Much more pliable and comfortable to wear.

Last edited:

58panheadfan

One Too Many
How much "colder" are we talking about? Wore mine a few times now for a few hours in below freezing temperatures and didn't notice any hardening.
Below of 5 Degrees the fats in the leather have the tendency to lose their viscosity and the jacket becomes stiff. I talking about my experience with Horween CXL FQHH I had.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
Side note: As you said, you live in London. Why not visit aero leather directly and get advice on site. As your first aero leather jacket, I recommend you do it right from the start, otherwise you will only be disappointed and it may cost you a lot of money if you made the wrong decision.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Kelpie and Jerky are easier to wear than CXL FQHH, Kelpie is like aniline Shinki and Jerky is like teacore Shinki.

But since I am CXL FQHH super fan, I will make one more case for it.

Since you're gonna get the jacket through Aero's retailer Bolt anyways, they must have CXL FQHH jackets in their shop. Before you try on the jacket, take it outside (not running away with it of course), wait five minutes, let it stiff up in the cold, then wear it. That's the stiff CXL FQHH feel.

And Bolt would most likely only carry the regular weight which is actually heavyweight, for CXL FQHH, anything over 3oz I would consider it to be heavy because of the stuffed oil and waxes.

The thinner CXL FQHH is probably around 2.25 oz and it does make a difference when compared to the 3oz plus stuff. Again I really recommend this thinner CXL FQHH, it feels a bit more substantial than what others would consider as medium weight, but still wearable in all types of situation imo.

Aero has really nice quilted material. It's custom ran, I have it in most of my jackets. It's very versitile. When I feel hot I just unzip. The quilted lined jacket can get me through the entire Vancouver Fall/Winter/Spring. I am wearing my CXL SH HWYman with a quilted lining today and since Monday. We had frost on grass on Monday and now it's just rain, so very similar to London I suspect.

IMG_0430.JPG

Try it on in store, custom order to your length, get it with the Universal YKK zipper and you'd be just fine.

nattevagten

A-List Customer
The lightweight CXL FQHH is too light in my opinion, resembling 12-13 Oz denim. My premier Highwayman almost feels like a wind breaker jacket. Simply no heft at all. Regular, mid-weight CXL FQHH is much better.

jkohlx

New in Town
Aero has really nice quilted material. It's custom ran, I have it in most of my jackets. It's very versitile. When I feel hot I just unzip. The quilted lined jacket can get me through the entire Vancouver Fall/Winter/Spring. I am wearing my CXL SH HWYman with a quilted lining today and since Monday. We had frost on grass on Monday and now it's just rain, so very similar to London I suspect.

View attachment 562865

Try it on in store, custom order to your length, get it with the Universal YKK zipper and you'd be just fine.

Thanks for sharing this photo - good to see the quilted lining with the corduroy. Seems like the thinner CXL with quilted lining gives best of both worlds - warm enough, but not overly heavy. The aim is to find a weight that is wearable for the majority of the year - I'm not expecting to be able to wear when it gets below freezing necessarily.

Good shout on standing outside with it on to experience the stiffening up! I'm planning to go there on Saturday, so will try that.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for sharing this photo - good to see the quilted lining with the corduroy. Seems like the thinner CXL with quilted lining gives best of both worlds - warm enough, but not overly heavy. The aim is to find a weight that is wearable for the majority of the year - I'm not expecting to be able to wear when it gets below freezing necessarily.

Good shout on standing outside with it on to experience the stiffening up! I'm planning to go there on Saturday, so will try that.
The stiffness of the CXL leather is something controversial and it's good that you get to experience it before purchase. It's either yes or no, for stiffness, nothing in between I am afraid. But if you are ok with the stiffness then it's one of the nicest leather out there imo, nothing comes close to it in terms of finishing.
Corduroy hem on the lining will prolong the wear, I have it on all my custom builds, it will protect the heavy wear and tear spots from premature wear. And the YKK/Universal zipper can handle the CXL better than the War time Talon.
And you can ask for a Highwayman label, it's a nice custom touch to the regular Aero car and plane label.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner