Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero has a new leather called Pinnacle

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Aero quietly announced some new jackets added to the stock page, including this Aeromarine in size 40, done in their newest leather, which they call Pinnacle. The Facebook post from Aero describes it as similar to CXL, but thinner.

Personally, I still like the thicker 4+ Oz CXL, but it seems like Aero have been trying to push thinner hides for the last few years. I know they broke a lot of needles sewing the heavy stuff, and I bet the machinists hands get a workout from handling it.

I love the color and grain on this one, and I'm glad it's not my size.

https://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/stock/aeromarine--cognac-pinnacle--40----s-5964/s-5964

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Pics

4ab7109c-807e-4fd0-a656-b2ceb524d5b2.jpg 405b4e3e-c1a2-4ff9-90d8-442ecd0b7379.jpg d6481c56-6675-4380-b560-65ffc0c44d90.jpg

zebedee

One Too Many
Very nice. Mid-weight hides I have recently found are better for general purposes. I will get around to a roomier Cafe Racer in a mid-weight brown at some point as I've thinned my herd a little :)

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Hmm, I have to say, I see Aero´s heavy Horween´s as part of their USP.

Simmons Bilt have been moving away from the heavy CXL steer and horse for some time now (and boy it WAS heavy), so Aero is more or less the go-to for heavy CXL.

Variety of choice never hurts (if your not a "give me reason, but don´t give me choice" type of guy), but I would hate to see these hides slowly getting pushed out of the market alltogether. To my mind, there´s an almost indefinite choice of mid-weight leathers on the market but hardly any consitent supply of heavier hides.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hmm, I have to say, I see Aero´s heavy Horween´s as part of their USP.

Simmons Bilt have been moving away from the heavy CXL steer and horse for some time now (and boy it WAS heavy), so Aero is more or less the go-to for heavy CXL.

Variety of choice never hurts (if your not a "give me reason, but don´t give me choice" type of guy), but I would hate to see these hides slowly getting pushed out of the market alltogether. To my mind, there´s an almost indefinite choice of mid-weight leathers on the market but hardly any consitent supply of heavier hides.

I think this option wasn’t added as a replacement for CXL. Rather, do you remember last year when they got batches of CXL horse that were far thinner than usual, but to their surprise people were actually asking for it?

I’m assuming they asked for one of Horween’s midweight combination tan stuff to cater for the people requesting midweight CXL.

Hide'n'seek

One of the Regulars
We are not moving away from Chromexcel, far from it. Chromexcel is what we are known for and have been using fir almost 40 years. We have a very good relationship with Horween and have pretty much exclusive use of Chromexcel Horse for jackets. We do know however that Chromexcel isn't for everyone, nor is it suitable for every style. Many folk find it simply too heavy or stiff or can't commit to the break in period.
Chromexcel is our "bread and butter" offering but we want to cater for all.

The new Pinnacle offering is a beautiful buttery soft horsehide that has a wonderful hand and drape, really nice. We only recieved a couple of sample skins in this cognac colour that we made the Aeromarine in, we can't wait to recieve more along with black and brown. We know this is going to make some fantastic jackets.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
^^Fantastic! Glad to see more choices, and this new leather looks great.

I am deeply a CXL fan, but I do concede that many times I reach for a (slightly) lighter hide for real-life circumstances. :)

We are not moving away from Chromexcel, far from it. Chromexcel is what we are known for and have been using fir almost 40 years. We have a very good relationship with Horween and have pretty much exclusive use of Chromexcel Horse for jackets. We do know however that Chromexcel isn't for everyone, nor is it suitable for every style. Many folk find it simply too heavy or stiff or can't commit to the break in period.

The new Pinnacle offering is a beautiful buttery soft horsehide that has a wonderful hand and drape, really nice. We only recieved a couple of sample skins in this cognac colour that we made the Aeromarine in, we can't wait to recieve more along with black and brown. We know this is going to make some fantastic jackets.
This leather looks gorgeous too:
IMG_4982.jpeg
IMG_4983.jpeg

abbaralph

One of the Regulars

Is there going to be a sale anytime soon, I am trying to give my wife Father’s Day ideas? :)

Tom71

Call Me a Cab

Thank you for the clarification.

My comment was more directed towards a gradual steering of the market away from CXL. Horween has limited tanning capacities, and if memory serves, last year already saw some supply issues with CXL horse. More people requesting "midweight" leather, the more capacities will move in that direction.

Aloysius

My comment was more directed towards a gradual steering of the market away from CXL. Horween has limited tanning capacities, and if memory serves, last year already saw some supply issues with CXL horse. More people requesting "midweight" leather, the more capacities will move in that direction.

I would assume that maybe 5% of CXL production goes to jackets, with the rest going to shoes and durable goods, so I think consumer preferences within the jacket space are unlikely to make a difference.

Hide'n'seek

One of the Regulars

Yes sourcing raw Horse hides is hard and the last 2 years Horween have struggled with finding skins of a high enough quality. Only the very best skins from their initial grading make the grade for Chromexcel, skins that don't make the grade are turned into other articles such as lux and Milan etc...

This supply issue has made us look at other options but we will never find an alternative to Chromexcel.

Horween do however have a new supplier of raw hides since Jan this year and the issues seem to be resolved, we are fully stocked again and Horween have a whole bunch of hides in production as we speak.

DamonCyclee

Familiar Face
I would assume that maybe 5% of CXL production goes to jackets, with the rest going to shoes and durable goods, so I think consumer preferences within the jacket space are unlikely to make a difference.

Not fqhh, maybe cow hides. So rare to see makers uses fqhh for shoes it's odd.

I've seen cxl strip used for shoes , that is byproduct of shell

DamonCyclee

Familiar Face
Yes sourcing raw Horse hides is hard and the last 2 years Horween have struggled with finding skins of a high enough quality. Only the very best skins from their initial grading make the grade for Chromexcel, skins that don't make the grade are turned into other articles such as lux and Milan etc...

This supply issue has made us look at other options but we will never find an alternative to Chromexcel.

Horween do however have a new supplier of raw hides since Jan this year and the issues seem to be resolved, we are fully stocked again and Horween have a whole bunch of hides in production as we speak.

That is interesting, I would assume the opposite. This is my understanding for cxl in general based on Nick and Phil talking about it.

Cxl is technically not full grain, since the top surface gets corrected, so I would assume lux and Milian, Vermont etc would be more picky. But what do I know.

Does horween still source their locally/Canada ? As in they have to do some weird thing by sending it to Quebec to be slaughtered since it's banned in USA.

Aloysius

Also maybe only 5% of Chromexcel is Equine , most of Bovine.

Absolutely. I was talking to a friend who had tons of CXL boots and a good amount of workwear/leather goods, and he was surprised to find out that CXL wasn't exclusively cowhide.

Not fqhh, maybe cow hides. So rare to see makers uses fqhh for shoes it's odd.

I've seen cxl strip used for shoes , that is byproduct of shell

I know. A fraction of CXL is horse. And a fraction of CXL is a garment leather. Point being, there's no risk of CXL capacity going down because of jacket preferences.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner