Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero real deal Hide

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
miles_archer said:
Answering esoteric questions like these is what the lounge is all about! Does Horween sell hides in small quantities to anyone or do they only deal with bigger companies like Aero, Allen Edmonds etc? Has anyone bought from Horween and if so was the product described accurately, good customer service? Any light shed is appreciated .
I was just last week chatting with Alan over at Johnson Leathers
in SF. He mentioned horsehide, so I asked if he could get Horween.
He said he could, but in very limited quantity. Sounds like it's not
easy for smaller operations to get access to Horween hides. Someone
here (another Johnson, if memory serves) also mentioned having a
hard time striking a deal with Horween.

Mind you, Johnson Leathers' cowhide is so nice, I'm not sure I'd
order anything else from them. That is, if my Johnson jacket ever wore
out, which, after 15 years, does not seem imminent.

I don't know about Johnson leathers...but LW is quite a small operation(or was)...two employees(?). Also Aero doesn't have a very large workforce..but has hired some recently. However..it does seem Aero puts out a lot of product. I would bet that there is a fairly large minimum order for Horween hides.
HD

NHorween

New in Town
miles_archer said:
Does Horween sell hides in small quantities to anyone or do they only deal with bigger companies like Aero, Allen Edmonds etc? Has anyone bought from Horween and if so was the product described accurately, good customer service?

We do fill small orders - if you call or email you'll be getting me (most likely). On orders under our normal production runs we charge a premium to make it cost effective for us. When a customer calls in looking for relatively small orders we do our best to either combine these orders with other orders of the same or fill them from sides/horsefronts we have in stock. This helps keep costs down for everyone.

Hope that helps!

Leather Head

New in Town
Buying from Horween

Looks like this question was posed long ago, but I'll chime in now with my experience. I am an independent leather craftsman and I buy directly from Horween, sometimes in very small quantities. In fact I've ordered single sides of leather from them. Customer service is good, but know that when you order in small quantities, you'll pay a premium. Making leather takes time, so be prepared to wait several weeks for your leather to be ready.

pjstrass

One of the Regulars
real deal

does Aero currently have real deal jackets for sale ? don't see them on the website ...thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn