Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Sunburst in Dark Russet Goatskin - Fit advice needed

JanW

New in Town
Hi all,

I've traded in one of my older jackets for an Aero Sunburst in dark russet goatskin. Its a stock "model" jacket that was apparently in their showroom for years and was sold on discount. I've had Aero's FQHH before, but my preference now is towards goatskin as its much more comfortable to wear. My previous FQHH jacket had loads of marbling and patina, but typical for goatskin there is barely any in this jacket. I work in an office environment, which fits the cleaner look. I've found the darker russet to be quite versatile (sort of a cross between chestnut and cordovan).

I'm of two minds of the sunburst back. Coming from a Highwayman and a Half-Belt, I've been spoiled on one-piece backs (as the stereotype goes, larger panels = more quality), but the sunburst design is quite distinctive and not too loud. I like both in different ways, but I still prefer a one-piece if I can help it.

Previously I've worn size 40, but despite losing some weight, this is a size 38. Perhaps my size 40 before was a smaller cut, or this 38 has bigger proportions? I notice that there is also some sort of "rippling" across the yoke (more visible from the back)? I don't know where that's from, but I hope it smoothens out over time. Not a dealbreaker for me though.

In any case, any thoughts/advice on the fit?

x_open.jpg
x_closed.jpg

Last edited:

Jasonindenver

One of the Regulars
I think it fits as intended with a little room for layering.

The shoulders seem good so any rippling in the back you see is probably just the pattern. The chest from the front looks clean. The only thing I would see having modified is raising the sleeve length a touch.

I think that back panel details have a direct relationship to the perceived “casualness” of a jacket. More details = more casual. That being said, the Sunburst looks Great!!!!

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Pretty good fit for an "off the rack" jacket. Back, shoulders, chest, sleeves are all just about right on.
Try it while wearing the types of clothing you think you'll most often be wearing with the jacket.. if you like it, then you're good to go.

Edward

Bartender
Fit looks good to me. Early on, I made the mistake of going far too tight thinking that was "vintage correct", though of course in reality people then wore fits all over the place as is the case now.

Aero's sizing does vary as per what was typical in different eras (just watched an episode of 1994-era Goodnight Sweetheart last night; the lead was wearing a then-contemporary civilian A2-alike the way a lot of folks did back then. Now it looks ridiculous, about three sizes too big). best to ignore the number and concentrate on the jacket's measurements. (I wear a 42 in a regular HWM, and a 44 in pre-war patterns, up to a 46 in some very slim ones).

I like a range of back panel designs - always nice to have that bit more variation in jacket design - same as hides. I still love my CXL FQHH jackets, though like you I'm also a very big fan of Aero's goatskin. The back design of the Sunburst imo really emphasises shoulder-width, gives a sense of that 'triangle' shape - big shoulders, nipped-in waist - which is very flattering. Looks a good fit on you. I love how that goathide ages - wears in, but not out; stays 'tidier' looking longer than most horse.

JanW

New in Town
Thanks for the comments, everyone. I'm sort of in agreement that the sleeves are a tad too long (maybe a cm?), but quite happy with the rest of the fit. I'm loathe to have it shortened as that's resulted in horror stories from me before, so are there any options re. goat? I'm hoping the sleeves will crease and ride up, but from what I'm reading goatskin doesn't really do that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo