Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero's off-the-peg

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
The two models offered online for immediate delivery ARE available from stock but without any modifications, obviously, as they are already made although we could shorten the sleeves if required.

Some of these jackets were still being finished on Thursday morning when I put the listing up. Looks like an internal breakdown in communications, we are very short of staff at management level, still waiting for Denny to return to the fold, so both Amanda and Will are rushed off thier feet, I can only imagine that Will hadn't told Amanda about these at the time she replied to your email?

We didn't have much Rough Kudu, and only very small skins hence they are/were only available in small sizes and most sizes of the Kudu have already sold out overnight to customers in the Far East. We've had a similar rush on the Horsehide Highwayman, looks like we've misjudged the demand for "off the peg".

We might have to re-think this option as it's hard to see how we can manage to make enough jackets to satisfy this level of demand

Companies do this all the time, no biggie. And with the apparent difficulties getting hides (other vendors say the same) I feel bad for anyone making jackets today. Rumor on the VLJ is that sheepskins are getting expensive as hard to acquire. No idea why this is the case, but hopefully it all gets sorted soon for all. People here need jackets or a therapist lol

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
Companies do this all the time, no biggie. And with the apparent difficulties getting hides (other vendors say the same) I feel bad for anyone making jackets today. Rumor on the VLJ is that sheepskins are getting expensive as hard to acquire. No idea why this is the case, but hopefully it all gets sorted soon for all. People here need jackets or a therapist lol

Afraid that sheepskin prices do keep rocketing, we'll continue making them for as long as can tho! :)

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Just curious as to why this would be. Has every other lamb product price risen? Roasting joints, chops, sheepskin rugs and shepherds pie?.:p
John

GoodTimesGone

One of the Regulars
Sheepskin prices going up sounds suspicious to me, a bit like the situation in the Middle East with the oil industry. This is directed at the suppliers of sheep skin, not jacket makers. Sheepskin shouldn't have a varying yield from year to year like corn. I haven't heard about any epidemics reducing sheep herds. There are a couple of sheep farmers who live out in the country near my town and their fields are full of sheep. In the spring and fall I am one of the very few in this area wearing any kind of leather jacket. In the winter when I wear my sheepskin B-3 I am the only one. Most people seem to favor the micro-fleece and insulated jackets like Columbia, North Face, etc. Probably the last five years the chain department stores here haven't even stocked leather jackets.

@Tom, I can't recall - I'll look for the post. I thought it was due to come Chinese buying lots of it up. Will find it and post back. I don't think it was something oil-industry like, just someone(s) buying tons of it...

HorseHide

One of the Regulars
I understand that the micro-fleece yield was disappointing this year as well, I know that guys in the micro-fleece pit at the Chicago Mercantile Exchange have been going crazy.

trapp

Practically Family
I would imagine the scarcity, or perceived scarcity, in sheepskin would have more to do with increased demand (such as China buying it, as Butte mentions) than decreased supply.

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
@Tom, I can't recall - I'll look for the post. I thought it was due to come Chinese buying lots of it up. Will find it and post back. I don't think it was something oil-industry like, just someone(s) buying tons of it...

You're right, the Chinese are not only buying up the skins they are buying tanneries too to corner the market, ditto Horsehide.

Does this mean we're going to get fleeced buying new jackets?
Har har! No, it means used jackets just went up and new ones will all come from China. At that point, I buy no kore jackets (new). Maybe they're preparing for another war? At this point, I'll believe anything. Although I thought they used dogs at the beginning for flight and other jackets. Seems they like this democracy and free market stuff after all.

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
Does this mean we're going to get fleeced buying new jackets?

Boom, boom. Hopefully not, but increase in demand results in increase of price for raw materials, which I'm afraid will result in an increased price on sheepskins as we get them, otherwise we'll no longer be able to offer them. We'll continue to make them for as long as is financially possible tho!

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
Har har! No, it means used jackets just went up and new ones will all come from China. At that point, I buy no kore jackets (new). Maybe they're preparing for another war? At this point, I'll believe anything. Although I thought they used dogs at the beginning for flight and other jackets. Seems they like this democracy and free market stuff after all.

I have owned a couple of Chinese Leather jackets aka Orvis and they were dogs.. Sold em>

Bear in mind those jackets being made in China are manufactured through American companies and sold for ridiculous prices in Retail Stores and Online catalogs both in Europe and America. I will take the Aero and Lost Worlds hand made Jacket any day over that crap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff