Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

After 6

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Used to be a time when after 6 meant time to get dressed up for the night lofe. Work was hard and you changed out of the suit and tie into the black jacket and bowtie. Now people seam to dress down to go out after six. When i was in London I was stopped at the door of a local pub and asked to remove my tie. not a nice experience thinking that standards have fallen to the point where fallen standars have to be enforced. Commical.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dressing well: a virulent disease?

The doorman was right in having Matt remove his tie, lest young patrons of the drinking establishment in question find his attire admirable and want to emulate him. Then they'd have to look grown up and might feel the desire to conduct themselves accordingly, leading to a lesser desire for drunken antisocial behaviour, which would mean less booze sold over the bar.

There's also all those manufacturers of baggy T-shirts, baseball caps, tracksuits and fancy running shoes to consider. Pre-dirtied or frayed jeans manufacturers, too. They've got the whole world buying $80 T-shirts it cost them 40 cents to make in some third-world sweat shop. Couldn't have smart-dressing young men going around looking classy and turning their contemporaries away from spending money to make the big clothing companies even richer now, could we? :mad:

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
Benny Holiday said:
The doorman was right in having Matt remove his tie, lest young patrons of the drinking establishment in question find his attire admirable and want to emulate him. Then they'd have to look grown up and might feel the desire to conduct themselves accordingly, leading to a lesser desire for drunken antisocial behaviour, which would mean less booze sold over the bar.

In that case, he should be charged with aiding and abetting British Lager consumption. :p

Mike1939

One of the Regulars
Benny Holiday said:

There's also all those manufacturers of baggy T-shirts, baseball caps, tracksuits and fancy running shoes to consider. Pre-dirtied or frayed jeans manufacturers, too. They've got the whole world buying $80 T-shirts it cost them 40 cents to make in some third-world sweat shop. Couldn't have smart-dressing young men going around looking classy and turning their contemporaries away from spending money to make the big clothing companies even richer now, could we? :mad:

Well said Mr. Holiday! :eusa_clap

Marty M.

Vendor
Atta Boy Benny.

Benny Holiday said:

Here, here. Well stated. Free Beers for you if you're ever up in the Northern Country.
Marty Mathis

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Fanciful notion.

Matt Deckard said:
Used to be a time when after 6 meant time to get dressed up for the night lofe. Work was hard and you changed out of the suit and tie into the black jacket and bowtie.

With all due respect I think that even in the 1930's and 1940's 99% of the American public (granted, a rough estimate) would opt for more casual garb after a hard day's work rather than don a black jacket and bowtie. Those kind of togs were reserved for New Years's Eve etc. (movie stars and captains of industry attending premiere-type events excepted).

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
There was an episode of Frasier where the Dad took them to a low brow steakhouse. When Frasier & Niles primly sat down to order, the waitress whipped out some shears & cut off their ties.
Most people find that funny.

Jovan

Suspended
... they advertise a lot of places like that. A Japanese steakhouse here has the chef neatly slicing off a man's tie with his knife. It's not all that funny to me, for obvious reasons.

jgilbert

One of the Regulars
It is now summer here in Louisville Ky. So if I am dining outside it very well could be in shorts and a polo shirt. Even at some of the more upscale places (again dining outside) most of the men are in shorts. All do however have a collar shirt. No t-shirts.

Could this be an off shoot from the causal dining craze?

Feraud

Bartender
I guess we have to define what type of dining we are talking about.
Upscale, local pub, burger joint, etc. Each of these places develop their own dress code.

BegintheBeguine

Matt Deckard said:
Used to be a time when after 6 meant time to get dressed up for the night life. Work was hard and you changed out of the suit and tie into the black jacket and bowtie. Now people seem to dress down to go out after six. When i was in London I was stopped at the door of a local pub and was asked to remove my tie. Not a nice experience thinking that standards have fallen to the point where fallen standards have to be enforced. Comical.
If they'd also asked you to remove your shoelaces and belt you'd have really been worried.
I dress in t-shirt and bluejeans at work so when I go out in the evening my first choice is a cocktail dress. This is one of many reasons I dislike the 'casual dining craze'.

Undertow

As I recall, and as others have recalled for me, both sets of grandparents were extremely hard working folks that didn't really have time to "relax" as per our common understanding.

My mother's father was a Postal Carrier during the day (I need to get some real sharp pics of his uniform on here!) and at night, he cleaned office buildings by himself. I know when he was off work, he'd take off his uniform shirt and relax in a chair with a tank top, smoke a cigar and then retire to sleep.

My mother's mother was a nurse that worked nights and double shifts. She really only slept during the morning hours and woke up in the afternoon to take care of the six kids before going back to work.

My father's father was in the Air Force and also served as a policeman. He generally didn't dress up except when the family returned from a base in the UK and moved to Texas. He would occasionally wear his formal uniform to a function, but otherwise, he was a bowling/poker playing type of guy that relaxed in a pretty casual state. (although he did own some splendid suits and accessories that I have since acquired!)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
The ones who changed into black tie...were the ones going out.

I suspect the vast majority of working class americans, much like Mr Mud and The Baron have commented, probably went home and changed in to lesser clothes and did chores around the house.

But then again, I guess part of wanting to dress like another era...is to only want to pick the upperclass and rich scenario to emulate.

After all...who wants to be a vintage garbage man with a family of 6...when you can pretend you are Gatsby.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Keep in mind, in that era a man who was likely to dress for dinner would likely have a job (if he had a job at all, which he wasn't supposed to, after all) where he was at the office only from ten till four, a much more leisurely lifestyle. Also, he would probably live and work in town, and thus only need a few minutes to get from the office, home to change, and off to his dinner destination within a reasonably short amount of time.
BUt even at home in the evening, in the 20' and 30's men and boys wore ties all day. Those old ads for radios, showing the whole family listening, with dad in his business suit and son in kinckers and also sporting a tie, were not a complete fabrication. There was a large segment of society who lived that way.
But having to take a tie OFF to get into a pub? Egregious! More symptoms of British class antagonism, I suppose.

BegintheBeguine

Miss Neecerie said:
But then again, I guess part of wanting to dress like another era...is to only want to pick the upperclass and rich scenario to emulate.

After all...who wants to be a vintage garbage man with a family of 6...when you can pretend you are Gatsby.
One of my oldest friends is a modern-day garbage man. I've tailored the pants from his vintage suits for him so he can wear them when he goes out after work. Best of both worlds, sounds like.
I still can't get over Matt Deckard being asked to remove a tie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany