Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Age concern

It's largely "hattitude", I suspect--certain clothes/accessories interact with different personalities in different ways, like Billy Crystal's pinstripes in Analyze This. I'd suspect it's also partly how we stereotype the item, like how cops go from "regular" to "The Man" when they suit up--I've seen acquaintances in the field go from one to the other in a matter of minutes.

----------------
Now playing: James Horner - Houston, We Have A Problem
via FoxyTunes

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
When I wear certain hats my Ex says that the hat makes me look older.....take that as you like. I happen to ignore it because I am what I am....older than her...

I feel that not just a fedora, but my style of dress in general makes me appear older. I'm 18, and get guessed anywhere between 24 and 29 when people meet me.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Not only is it the face and the hattitude, but the age in one's heart (such as person who is "young at heart" as they say), and how they feel about themselves is what is reflected in regards to whether wearing a hat makes one look older. The hat can add character! On another hand, maturity is not the same as age. Having a good self confidence and a high level of contentment and comfort about wearing the hat keeps the older gents looking young, and the young gents look more mature (like in your twenties not a teenager). I've been looking at pics for a while now, seeing many a gent in hats here on the FL, and the young pups look fabulous in them, and the older gents (okay 40+ ) look gorgeous and handsome! Nobody looks old(er)!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21