Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Air Corp Service Pilots

priestyboy

One of the Regulars
I've looked all around on the Internet and even have both "Pinks and Greens" books and just can't find out much at all about the Air Corps Service Pilots.

I know they were many times older guys (a little to old to join) who were already civilian pilots with lots of hours, and so the Army allowed these guys to be "Service Pilots" to take advantage of their knowledge and expertise to help the war effort.

I know there were many capacities they utilized them in, mostly homefront, but some even went overseas into the fight.

Anybody know a great set of resources to learn more about Service Pilots? Deviating a little from the norm, I want to slide my AAC impression over to a (more realistic to my age) Service Pilot. I realize it is a few quick patch/wing changes from the regular AAC pilot uniform but for an accurate impression's sake, you have to be able to talk the talk as well! This is definitely an under honored group of our veterans.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Service Pilots were typically civil pilots assigned to transport or liaison flying. Ex-airline pilots had priority on transport duty.

This discussion suggests that SP's were allowed to wear, or did wear, combat pilot wings, as the "S" wings (below) were not well respected.
ServicePilotWings.jpg

The "L" or liaison wings looked similar, and were often worn by NCOs flying a/c like the Piper L-4 for artillery spotting or messenger duty.
sm_ITEM-LP44.JPG

L-4_fs.jpg

Thus the "S" wings were mistaken for "L's" and their wearers for enlisted men.
SP's, however, typically held the rank of Flight Officer.
fltoffbar.JPG

JimInSoCalif

One of the Regulars
I was an instructor for mechanics in the Army Aviation School in 1954 and never heard of a Flight Officer. I assume that was similar to a Warrant Officer which was a rather strange rank.

Enlisted men became Warrant Officers upon graduating as Helicopter Pilots. In the three years I was in the Army, I only saw one Warrant Officer who was not a chopper pilot.

There were Jr and Sr Warrant Officers with rank badges that were a single bar with a slight variation between the two - I don't remember exactly what either one looked like, but they may have been rather like the FO pin that you show.

One strange thing is altho there were only two rank badges, there were actually four pay grades: W1 through W4. There are six pay grades now. I expect the additional two were added when the two additional enlisted pay grades of E8 and E9 were added in the late 50's.

Cheers, Jim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael