Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Airborne Beret manufacturer and date help!

Mike1973

A-List Customer
I picked this up many moons ago at a military fair. I didn't collect Airborne kit, but it was only a fiver! (I wore it for some of the photo shoots in the British Tommy book)

I'd like to know more about the date and manufacturer, It's obviously old, but how old? And why are there no service markings on it? Private purchase maybe?
Doing some internet surfing found this site, but no info
http://home.tiscali.nl/nijsten/berets.html#postwar_stampings

I can't quite make out the makers name, B something...
50c38b8c.jpg

More pics here-
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v683/silly-password/Airborne Beret/

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Isn't that brown stuff glue? Maybe another label with additional insignia was removed?

Mike1973

A-List Customer
zetwal said:
Isn't that brown stuff glue? Maybe another label with additional insignia was removed?

Berets usually have some sort of clear cellophane sewn over the label or stamp. I'm not sure exactly why, I guess to stop grease marks from hair? I think that is what this is, it's just detiriorated over time.

Austerityaudio

New in Town
Beret

Hi Mike,

I would say your correct in saying its private purchase,
I would think its quite old looking at the way its made and the Crown size,
I have dated berets in my collection and both look about the same as that apart from the stampings, Later 1950s one the size of the beret became smaller and lost the floppy look, Below are my berets , both from a Car boot sale so guess they are to the same Soldier,

Anyway
Hope thats of some help,

Gary Bainbridge

beret2.jpg

beret1944.jpg

Mike1973

A-List Customer
Cheers fellas.

I wonder when in the '50's the berets starting to become more 'trim'? Were small berets just more practical? Did it just evolve that way? Did soldiers think they looked smarter? I'm thinking of footage I remember seeing as a kid of the Royal Marines in the Falklands War, with tiny berets perched forward on their heads...

And I've just had bad flashbacks of trying (in vain) to shape the beret I had in the Air Cadets... :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo