Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Airports:Best and worst

moustache

Practically Family
We have all traveled,some more than others.
List your favourite and least favourite airports and the reasons why.

My hometown airport was just named the USA's best by a leading travel magazine:portland International.

While i think it is one of the best :p i wouldn't say it is my favourite.
I would say that in my travels,Munich International(Franz Joseph) is THE cleanest and best i have been to.Easy to traverse,polite staff and well laid out.One issue was proximity though.Too far from Munich itself.

Worst airport:Los Angeles International.For such a hub,this is THE worst i have been to.Granted,i have only been to just over
different airports around the globe.But LAX is a bad experience all around.No shuttles or hall ways to International wing,very few food vendors in International wing,and not very clean.

What are your picks??

JD

Amelie

A-List Customer
ok my worsts:
Mirabel airport when it was still partially open (montreal 2nd airport): it was so damn empty. Nothing to do, nothing to eat, nobody nowhere, and soooo far of the city ><

Gaspé airport: this is located in a really small city on the east coast, really really small and all but... oh my god the landing track is sooo broken that it's like your 50 passengers plane is going to fall apart :eek:

My best ones:

Vienna and Amsterdam airports: so clean, so pleasant... well, the opposite of the previous ones :p

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Best: Copenhagen, Vancouver, Austin. Pleasant, nicely laid out, well provisioned, modern and clean.

Worst: LaGuardia, Detroit. Sprawling, lousy signage, inhuman.

Honorable Mention to Toledo, whose airport is actually nicer than the city itself.

Dishonorable Mention to Greensboro, NC, where the understaffed country-lawman TSA crew actually tussled with USAirways personnel over whether it was really necessary to take 45 minutes full-goose double-special inspecting every last passenger for a flight that was to take off in 15.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'm tempted to say the best airport is the one I don't ever have to visit, but I'll say a good word for the Knox County Regional Airport -- my hometown airfield. Built by the WPA in the '30s, and not much bigger today -- there's one gate, and the luggage pickup is a wooden pallet out back of the terminal building. But it's quiet and comfortable, and there are commuter flights to Boston every day.

Worst -- I really can't stand LaGuardia. Blech.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Good: Heathrow is ok, and I've never had any problems at JFK. Shannon airport here in Eire is good too, unlike...

Bad: Dublin airport. Grrr. And Charles de Gaulle in Paris is impossible!

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Fletch said:
Wasn't Shannon Airport where the Irish Coffee was created? Or is that just a legend? (The other contender is San Francisco.)

lol It probably was San Francisco. On second thought, I take full credit for inventing the Irish Coffee!

Prove me wrong...lol

Amelie

A-List Customer
JazzBaby said:
Good: Heathrow is ok, and I've never had any problems at JFK. Shannon airport here in Eire is good too, unlike...

Bad: Dublin airport. Grrr. And Charles de Gaulle in Paris is impossible!

I agree CDG is a nightmare, I walked 35 minutes to get from one point to the other, thinking it wasn't that far, and then had to make the road back... carrying a 90pounds luggage, plus a 25 pounds hand luggage.... I wanted to die... or at least my arms and my hands :eek:

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Amelie said:
I agree CDG is a nightmare, I walked 45 minutes to get from one point to the other, thinking it wasn't that far, and then had to make the road back... carrying a 90pounds luggage, plus a 25 pounds hand luggage.... I wanted to die... or at least my arms and my hands :eek:

But it's worth it to get to Paris!

Washington D.C. (is this still called Dulles Intl.?) is an absolute abomination. No decent bar, no decent place to get food. I'm very scared of flying. I need a beer in a decent atmosphere just before take-off. This airport does not provide any place for this necessity. (though i've noticed all american airports are bad in this regard.)

Heathrow is okay.

bk

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Phoenix International (PHX), the only airport in the world that is NOT an airport! It is Phoenix SKY HARBOR. That is unique in all the world!

Also, Liverpool John Lennon Airport - above us only sky.

-dixon cannon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo