Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Crown Heights & Brim Widths

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I was wondering if there are members here who know the crown heights and brim widths of various Akubra hats:

"Campdraft"
"Homburg"
"Top Hat"
"Stylemaster"
"Fedora"
"Casual"
"Bogart"

Thank you! This is much appreciated, as I will be taking these factors into much consideration before purchasing! The reason I ask, is because I feel that higher crowns are more comfortable on me than lower ones. I feel somewhat reluctant to go lower than five inches in crown size.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Everything Australian also has crown heights (in cm; along with brim widths in mm):

http://www.everythingaustralian.com.au/displayproduct.asp?id=2&cat=Akubra

But these aren't super-precise, and it's not clear at what exterior point they're measuring, or what the interior space in the center would be, etc.

Offhand, I'd say only the Campdraft (and Top Hat) has a five-inch crown. My Stylemaster measures about four-and-a-half at its highest point.

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
I have two of the Akubras in question, both size 7 1/8, 57, and have personally measured them to exact dimensions:

Fedora (AKA Sydney)

Brim - 2 1/2 inches, 6.2 cm
Crown (open) - 5 1/2 inches, 14 cm

Comments - There is considerable taper to the crown, which, after bashed with a basic center crease and a pair of side dents, renders much less volume than the open-crown 5 1/2 inches suggests. The felt is so soft that it's impossible to put any other bash in this hat; you must pick it up ever-so-carefully to preserve even this basic bash, but the brim is sufficiently snappy that it stays put. One pertinent thing no vendor ever mentions is that this hat has the same premium sweat--wider and softer--as those in Akubra's Heritage Collection. Very nice hat, extremely comfortable on the first wearing, a true fedora shape. Purchased mine at David Morgan.

Stylemaster

Brim - 2 9/16 in., 6.5 cm
Crown (precreased) - Front 4 3/8 in., 11 cm
Sides tallest point 4 1/2 in., 11.5 cm
Rear 3 15/16 in., 10 cm

Comments - The outer valley wall of the telescope crown is 5/8 in., 1.5 cm deep, but the hump in the center is raised up only slightly, just enough to clear the top of the head. Crown taper is moderate. Hat seems overly stiff at first, but repeated wearings and intentionally agressive handling soften the felt considerably for a nice hand. On my acorn fawn one, the hatband stitching is noticably lighter than the color of the grosgrain. Have received more compliments on this hat in 1 1/2 years than all other hats combined over a lifetime of wearing them. Classy, retro look, truly a stylemaster. Purchased mine at Everything Australian.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I own several Akubras and have owned around 40 of them over 25 years.

I'd say 2 things. Almost all of their dress hats have taper and are quite low crowns when worn. My brown Stylemaster is okay but it's newish, the other 3 stylemasters I have taper a bit too much. As do the Bogart and Fedora which look pretty much the same as the Stylemaster after wearing for a few weeks.

Campdraft has little taper and is a good high and wide crown. As has the Drover. The both have a teriffic shape.

The Squatter is more traditional, with very little taper.

I am consistantly disapointed by Akubras blocking and only the Indy wannabe hat The Federation has great traditional blocking. You may wanna do as I do and ignore the film reference (not all of us want to play dress ups and pretend that we're a film character :) ).

As most hat guys I've met in the past decade have said that smaller tapered crowns are fashionable while generous crowns are not.

If you have a broad face you should not get a Stylemaster, Bogart or Fedora in my view as the crown will look small and slightly pinched.

There's another one with a very high and wide crown and that's the RM - only available at RM Williams made by Akubra. Kind of like a Campdraaft but a little more stylish.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Seb Lucas said:
I own several Akubras and have owned around 40 of them over 25 years.

I'd say 2 things. Almost all of their dress hats have taper and are quite low crowns when worn. My brown Stylemaster is okay but it's newish, the other 3 stylemasters I have taper a bit too much. As do the Bogart and Fedora which look pretty much the same as the Stylemaster after wearing for a few weeks.

Campdraft has little taper and is a good high and wide crown. As has the Drover. The both have a teriffic shape.

The Squatter is more traditional, with very little taper.

I am consistantly disapointed by Akubras blocking and only the Indy wannabe hat The Federation has great traditional blocking. You may wanna do as I do and ignore the film reference (not all of us want to play dress ups and pretend that we're a film character :) ).

As most hat guys I've met in the past decade have said that smaller tapered crowns are fashionable while generous crowns are not.

If you have a broad face you should not get a Stylemaster, Bogart or Fedora in my view as the crown will look small and slightly pinched.

There's another one with a very high and wide crown and that's the RM - only available at RM Williams made by Akubra. Kind of like a Campdraaft but a little more stylish.

Yeah, I just want to point out, my head is on the broad side. So maybe I'm better off purchasing either a Campdraft, or another (moonstone) Federation? I think the untapered crown suits me very well. I have had some experience in the past wearing a tapered wool fedora though, and it doesn't look nearly as good, proportionally, so maybe I'll just avoid the Stylemaster, Bogart, and Fedora, unfortunately.

One thing I wanted to point out though, is when I ordered my brown Federation IV, I was more intrigued with the idea of owning a brown fedora in traditional block shape rather than owning as just an "Indy hat."

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
Excellent advice from Seb, above.

The Casual--I thought that model had been discontinued--is, of course, in the crushable Pliofelt series, all of which are unlined and come with fabric sweatbands. The pre-creased front crown height is 4 1/4 inches, 10.8 cm, the brim width 2 3/8 in., 6 cm. The Casual has even more crown taper than the similar Fedora/Sydney, so that will probably rule this alternative out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy