Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Fed IV vs Biltmore Taylor Fedora?

GentlemanGamer

New in Town
GentlemanGamer, I sense a misunderstanding of the term dimensional as it applies to hats. A dimensional brim (when looking at the top from the top set on a table) is wider at the front and back and narrower on the sides. This has nothing to do with whether or not it's edge is raw. A raw edge brim simply doesn't have any edge binding (a ribbon stitched around the outside edge of the brim to finish it). A brim could be both dimensional as well as raw or neither.

Hope that helped,
Will

It did actually; I WAS slightly confused about the term, so I'm glad to know what it means now. Thanks for the clarification :)

On a different tack, while I am currently planning on (eventually) picking up the Fed IV, I've also heard that the Akubra Adventurer and Stylemaster are pretty good hats. Now it seems to me based on what I've heard so far that the Fed IV is the best out of the Akubra hats, but I'm still curious about them; does anyone here own one of these, and if so, what has been your experience with em?

Last edited:

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I own three Fed's (Tawny, Moonstone and Brown) all imperial felt. They're among my favourite and most worn hats. No the felt isn't up to my vintage Italian hats, nor is the finishing, but the sweat band quality is good, the felt is very sturdy, they shape easily and look good. They're no better made than the other Akubras I've got (Squatter, Campdraft, Homberg), but they're much better than average modern hats and I like the dimensions.

I have a Moonstone Imperial Fed4 that I had customized, smaller ribbon with trimmed & bound brim edge.
It is a very durable & comfortable hat. I wear it frequently & in foul weather.
I'd love to see Akubra take the same bodies & block & put out a version styled like a Wanderer...
Photo-0119.jpg

GentlemanGamer

New in Town
I own three Fed's (Tawny, Moonstone and Brown) all imperial felt. They're among my favourite and most worn hats. No the felt isn't up to my vintage Italian hats, nor is the finishing, but the sweat band quality is good, the felt is very sturdy, they shape easily and look good. They're no better made than the other Akubras I've got (Squatter, Campdraft, Homberg), but they're much better than average modern hats and I like the dimensions.

Definitely sound like great hats :) I was thinking about getting the deluxe Fed IV, but would you say the regular one is as good a buy? It's cheaper, has more color options, and I like the idea that they shape easily; as a newbie to the fedora, I could imagine me having some real trouble in trying to get the crown or brim to look the way I want it it to.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
There's no "best" among the Akubras. They are all excellent hats. It's more a matter of what you want out of them.

I've got a Federation III (the previous model, higher-crowned and wider-brimmed than the current one - a little too large for me, actually) and a Stylemaster. Both are good classic fedoras. The Stylemaster is carbon grey and matches all my black/gray/blue jackets. The Federation is mid-brown (with a greenish cast) and matches my browns and tans. The Stylemaster is a bit dressier with its bound edge and same-color ribbon, and with its teardrop crease, I think of it as more forties style. The Federation is less dressy with its raw edge, and its straight (not tapered) sides are more thirties style. The Stylemaster is softer and flexes more, even though it came with a factory crease. The Federation is tougher, more like a western hat - it's NEVER softened up after 11 years of wear. (But it's an old model, I think the newer ones are allegedly softer.) I dry-creased it Indy style the day I got it, and it has held that bash without any problem.

I've also got a couple of country Akubras for hiking and outdoor stuff - a Cattleman and a Stockman. These are even tougher than the fedoras, and aside from the bronze medallion on the Cattleman's leather trim rusting and the lining of the Stockman getting discolored (both from heavy sweat), they have held up remarkably well. All four of these hats are the standard, Imperial felt, not the more expensive Heritage grade, which is supposedly even nicer, but doesn't seem necessary... so don't feel that you have to get a Fed IV Deluxe if prefer the regular colors.

You can't go wrong with an Akubra. The only hard part is choosing the model and color!

GentlemanGamer

New in Town
There's no "best" among the Akubras. They are all excellent hats. It's more a matter of what you want out of them.

I've got a Federation III (the previous model, higher-crowned and wider-brimmed than the current one - a little too large for me, actually) and a Stylemaster. Both are good classic fedoras. The Stylemaster is carbon grey and matches all my black/gray/blue jackets. The Federation is mid-brown (with a greenish cast) and matches my browns and tans. The Stylemaster is a bit dressier with its bound edge and same-color ribbon, and with its teardrop crease, I think of it as more forties style. The Federation is less dressy with its raw edge, and its straight (not tapered) sides are more thirties style. The Stylemaster is softer and flexes more, even though it came with a factory crease. The Federation is tougher, more like a western hat - it's NEVER softened up after 11 years of wear. (But it's an old model, I think the newer ones are allegedly softer.) I dry-creased it Indy style the day I got it, and it has held that bash without any problem.

I've also got a couple of country Akubras for hiking and outdoor stuff - a Cattleman and a Stockman. These are even tougher than the fedoras, and aside from the bronze medallion on the Cattleman's leather trim rusting and the lining of the Stockman getting discolored (both from heavy sweat), they have held up remarkably well. All four of these hats are the standard, Imperial felt, not the more expensive Heritage grade, which is supposedly even nicer, but doesn't seem necessary... so don't feel that you have to get a Fed IV Deluxe if prefer the regular colors.

You can't go wrong with an Akubra. The only hard part is choosing the model and color!

Very informative post; it was nice and reassuring to hear your high opinion of the Akubra's, and it helped me to decide on a couple things regarding my future hat purchases :) You've definitely sold me on two things: one being that I'll likely just get the cheaper of the Fed IVs to save money (after all, if imperial still works well for weather protection and all that, there's no REAL need to upgrade methinks), and the second being that I'll also likely get a Stylemaster at some point (that bit where you said the crown and brim are soft and flexible convinced me). Now the problem is, like you said, WHICH model will I get first, and should I get black like I planned or a grey? Decisions, decisions :p Anyways, thanks for your reply; it was most appreciated. :)

ManofKent

The felt on the Imperial Fed IVs isn't very stiff, but it's reasonably thick. The finish is not the smoothest or finest you'll find - it doesn't look rough, but it's not the incredibly finely pounced finish you get on vintage hats. I've not handled the Deluxe finish, only seen comparison photos. I'm happy enough with the Imperial, and am only likely to go Deluxe for colour options.

Colour wise it's a very personal choice, but I'd recommend the Carbon Grey - it's a nice dark grey that's also very versatile. I've got a Squatter in Carbon and will probably get a Fed in the same colour at some point. Whilst vintage hats aren't common in your size, you stand a decent chance of finding a black one at some point.

Just to throw a spanner in the works, have you thought about trying a Custom made hat? I've got my first two on order - they're a lot less expensive than you might think if you're happy with rabbit felt...

GentlemanGamer

New in Town
The felt on the Imperial Fed IVs isn't very stiff, but it's reasonably thick. The finish is not the smoothest or finest you'll find - it doesn't look rough, but it's not the incredibly finely pounced finish you get on vintage hats. I've not handled the Deluxe finish, only seen comparison photos. I'm happy enough with the Imperial, and am only likely to go Deluxe for colour options.

Colour wise it's a very personal choice, but I'd recommend the Carbon Grey - it's a nice dark grey that's also very versatile. I've got a Squatter in Carbon and will probably get a Fed in the same colour at some point. Whilst vintage hats aren't common in your size, you stand a decent chance of finding a black one at some point.

Just to throw a spanner in the works, have you thought about trying a Custom made hat? I've got my first two on order - they're a lot less expensive than you might think if you're happy with rabbit felt...

I don't know... while I WOULD be happy to get one custom-made, wouldn't it be still more expensive then most Akubra hats even if I went with rabbit felt? If I did go custom, who would you reccomend I see and how much should I expect them to charge? At this point I'm still planning on getting an Akubra hat, but if the price is right I could be convinced to try something different :)

RJR

Akubra's are fine hats but MoK's thought is a good one re custom.There are several FL members that do reasonably priced custom hats.Read past threads for ideas and pricing.I have several from different makers;recently it seems like Tim,Cane Rod Maker and Mike Miller,Northwest hats may be reasonably priced with relatively short waits.
Don't overlook John Penman,Art Fawcett,Tony B.@Tumwater,Garrison and others.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I wouldn't recommend getting a custom hat for your first fedora. I think that's something you have to aspire to, and learn more about hats so you can determine just what your preferences are when you're spec'ing one. And even if you go with a maker with a short wait, it can be a time-consuming process getting the specs and sizing right.

My usual recommendation for a first fedora is a carbon grey or acorn fawn Stylemaster from Everything Australian. Less than $100, plus around $20 shipping, and you've got a really nice hat (that looks good on nearly every facial structure, and harmonizes equally well with both suits/overcoats and jeans/jackets) in ten days.

http://www.everythingaustralian.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=535

(If you want other colors and/or faster - but more expensive - go with HatsDirect.)

Last edited:

GentlemanGamer

New in Town
I wouldn't recommend getting a custom hat for your first fedora. I think that's something you have to aspire to, and learn more about hats so you can determine just what your preferences are when you're spec'ing one. And even if you go with a maker with a short wait, it can be a time-consuming process getting the specs and sizing right.

My usual recommendation for a first fedora is a carbon grey or acorn fawn Stylemaster from Everything Australian. Less than $100, plus around $20 shipping, and you've got a really nice hat (that looks good on nearly every facial structure, and harmonizes equally well with both suits/overcoats and jeans/jackets) in ten days.

http://www.everythingaustralian.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=535

(If you want other colors and/or faster - but more expensive - go with HatsDirect.)

... as a newbie to the world of fedoras and expensive hats, I feel so impressionable; it probably IS wise to wait till I have more experience to even consider getting something custom made :) So yeah, I'll probably just go with an Akubra, as originally planned.

I am quite tempted to get the Stylemaster from Everything Australia, but sadly my head-size means I would have to wait 3 months for the hat. I wouldn't mind the wait if it meant a cheaper hat, but it would make things like returns a little more troublesome. I wouldn't THINK a return would be necessary given how nice the hat looks as well as the fact I WOULD measure my head correctly (I'd hope) before ordering a hat, but that nagging worry still is there. Still, I'll likely be saving a good $30 at least ordering from there vs. another location, so if I do get a Stylemaster it'll likely be from here; if it means getting a great hat for less, it'd be worth the wait. :)

Rogera

GentlemanGamer, what is your head size?

Edit: Sorry, I found it on page one. I was going to tell you I had a Stylemaster that needs a new home but it is a 58 cm

Last edited:
I only have two Fed IVs (so far ;)), but I share Richard's opinions here. At the moment my favorite hat is the Tawny Fawn Fed IV in my current avatar photo. I don't know if it's the "perfect" hat for me, but it's well made, comfortable, I don't have to worry about it if I should get caught in the rain, and the proportions are exactly what I see in my mind when I think of a "classic" fedora. Surely there are higher quality hats available but, for the price, the Fed IV (or just about any Akubra hat) is a terrific "starter" hat if you like the style.

...I like the idea that they shape easily; as a newbie to the fedora, I could imagine me having some real trouble in trying to get the crown or brim to look the way I want it it to.
I thought the same thing before I got my first "real" hat (my Dark Brown Fed IV), but I was surprised by how easily it took the shape I wanted. The brim took some "finessing" before I was satisfied, but that was due to my inexperience. It was a few years before I purchased my second hat, but by then I'd learned a few "tips" by reading threads here on The Lounge and that hat almost shaped itself. And the next one. And the one after that. My hats aren't as "perfect" as they might be if a professional hatter with years of experience had shaped them, but if I can give a hat a presentable shape with my fingers of butter and fists of ham, anyone can.

GentlemanGamer

New in Town
I only have two Fed IVs (so far ;)), but I share Richard's opinions here. At the moment my favorite hat is the Tawny Fawn Fed IV in my current avatar photo. I don't know if it's the "perfect" hat for me, but it's well made, comfortable, I don't have to worry about it if I should get caught in the rain, and the proportions are exactly what I see in my mind when I think of a "classic" fedora. Surely there are higher quality hats available but, for the price, the Fed IV (or just about any Akubra hat) is a terrific "starter" hat if you like the style.

I thought the same thing before I got my first "real" hat (my Dark Brown Fed IV), but I was surprised by how easily it took the shape I wanted. The brim took some "finessing" before I was satisfied, but that was due to my inexperience. It was a few years before I purchased my second hat, but by then I'd learned a few "tips" by reading threads here on The Lounge and that hat almost shaped itself. And the next one. And the one after that. My hats aren't as "perfect" as they might be if a professional hatter with years of experience had shaped them, but if I can give a hat a presentable shape with my fingers of butter and fists of ham, anyone can.

As someone who is both new to hats and lacks a lot of coordination in general, this is really encouraging :) I mean, it'd really stink if I went and spent all that money on a hat only for me to not be able to get it to look the way I want it to. The fact that it's flexible enough to work even for an uncoordinated rookie like myself is a comforting thing, and makes my decision to pick up a Fed IV all the more tempting :) Thanks for sharing your thoughts Alex :)

As someone who is both new to hats and lacks a lot of coordination in general, this is really encouraging :) I mean, it'd really stink if I went and spent all that money on a hat only for me to not be able to get it to look the way I want it to. The fact that it's flexible enough to work even for an uncoordinated rookie like myself is a comforting thing, and makes my decision to pick up a Fed IV all the more tempting :) Thanks for sharing your thoughts Alex :)
You're very welcome. Even though I'm 52 years old I only began wearing hats regularly a little over five years ago, and mostly in the last couple of years, so I still have a lot of learning to do myself. One thing I do know is, when it comes to hats you'd be hard pressed to find a better resource of knowledge and experience than The Lounge, and the members here are very generous about sharing their knowledge and offering encouragement without making you feel foolish for asking "stupid" questions. Some might call them enablers, but I prefer to think of them as a positive support group. ;)

GentlemanGamer

New in Town
You're very welcome. Even though I'm 52 years old I only began wearing hats regularly a little over five years ago, and mostly in the last couple of years, so I still have a lot of learning to do myself. One thing I do know is, when it comes to hats you'd be hard pressed to find a better resource of knowledge and experience than The Lounge, and the members here are very generous about sharing their knowledge and offering encouragement without making you feel foolish for asking "stupid" questions. Some might call them enablers, but I prefer to think of them as a positive support group. ;)

It definitely seems like a friendly, supportive place, and is certainly a more classy crowd then a majority of the internet these days :) Despite me and my newbie questions, everyone's been really great about answering them and giving me honest opinions on potential hats and the like. Whether or not I make hat-wearing/buying a regular thing, I can definitely see myself coming back here fairly often; rrom what I've seen thus far, it's a great site :)

GentlemanGamer

New in Town
Sorry for the double post, but I have finally made the decision to bite the bullet and get a black federation iv standard. Its my first fedora and the first time I've had to be so specific with my measurements, so I'm a little anxious. Stoll, I'm looking forward to its arrival and eventually trying it on; thank you everyone for your advice and recommendations! I'll probably post pictures once it arrives. :)

On a side note, where would one get a proper hat brush? I heard that they're good for keeping one's hat clean, but other then that I don't know too much about them. :p

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace