Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra hat buyers!!!

jeboat

One of the Regulars
I just received a "heads up" from Cheryl at www.noggintops.com as to an impending increase April 1, 2008 of all Akubra hats due to worldwide demand of fur felt.

They have a sale right now and if you are on the fence as to whether to get one or not, better make it fast.

jeboat:) :) :)

carldelo

One Too Many
Don't forget the coupon

There's also a coupon code for Noggintops in effect until March 31st that can be added to (well, subtracted from) the sale price - use code 'MARCH08' to take $15 off any order $90 and over.

RedPop4

One Too Many
Meanwhile, the state of Louisiana is paying nutria trappers $5 for nutria tails, just to show that the hunters are taking care of the nutria problem. Hatters should demand felters get them nutral rats (as the Coon Asses call them.)

We have too many of the damn things down here, eating marsh grasses contributing to the salt-water intrusion and washing away of the wetlands originally due to oil companies building cuts through the marsh, and no flooding from the Mississippi to replenish the land.

univibe88

One Too Many
RedPop4 said:
Meanwhile, the state of Louisiana is paying nutria trappers $5 for nutria tails, just to show that the hunters are taking care of the nutria problem. Hatters should demand felters get them nutral rats (as the Coon Asses call them.)

We have too many of the damn things down here, eating marsh grasses contributing to the salt-water intrusion and washing away of the wetlands originally due to oil companies building cuts through the marsh, and no flooding from the Mississippi to replenish the land.

Don't forget that the nutria was brought to Louisiana from South America to be farmed for the fur trade. Then the damn bastards got loose!

So, let's bolster the nutria felt industry and buy American (Louisianan)!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I noticed yesterday at Aussie Bush Hats & Oilskins that their Akubra prices have gone up by $10 (Australian $). Other sites like EverythingAustralian and AustralianGear don't show this yet.

Of the sites I checked, AustralianGear is currently the best buy, with great hats like the Bogart and Stylemaster going for only $91US - including shipping.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
WoW.....

NonEntity said:
This is probably just the tip of the iceberg. Prices of Akubras everywhere and all fur felt hats will soon likely be going up
Then I guess I must've hit the jackpot.....[huh]

I'll be acquiring my very first "Akubra" Pocketweight Airstream ,very soon hopefully. I got extremely lucky on this one, a measley $12.00, well....$25.00 shipped. :eek: I can't wait to see it. It's supposed to be an Olive Green, I hope it is. I hope the bash is what's shown as well....I like the Telescopic, Tapered Bash that's in it now....although, the Fishing Lure stuck to the side of it will probably go. :rolleyes:

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
Wow! Thanks!!

carldelo said:
There's also a coupon code for Noggintops in effect until March 31st that can be added to (well, subtracted from) the sale price - use code 'MARCH08' to take $15 off any order $90 and over.

As one about to order, I really appreciate that info!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

NonEntity

Suspended
Very nice hat, Bolthead.

Could that be the original hatband? What on earth is it made from, some kind of knit?

The row of little holes above the sweat, I've never seen that before. Very functional for ventilation without punching grommets through to the exterior. I guess it's that feature that gives the Airstream its name.

Do you or anyone here know about what year this Akubra was manufactured?

Talk about value, $25 delivered. How could you go wrong?

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
Where is this available?

carldelo said:

Cardelo- Is this information you found here on FL or was it posted at noggintops.com? I looked through the merchant section and didn't see it. [huh]

Thanks much for the heads up on that- I'd already ordered a hat and they gave me the $15.00!! I'm so impressed with them I'm going to order another hat. (Ok. That's part of the reason. I hope there is no 12-step hat-anon or if there is that the wife doesn't find out!) But I am indeed impressed by their service.

carldelo

One Too Many
It's in the newsletter

mtechthang said:
Cardelo- Is this information you found here on FL or was it posted at noggintops.com? I looked through the merchant section and didn't see it. [huh]

Thanks much for the heads up on that- I'd already ordered a hat and they gave me the $15.00!! I'm so impressed with them I'm going to order another hat. (Ok. That's part of the reason. I hope there is no 12-step hat-anon or if there is that the wife doesn't find out!) But I am indeed impressed by their service.

Now that you've bought a hat from Noggintops, you should receive their newsletter, which they send out once a month or so. That's where I learn about the coupon codes. I've been getting them since I bought a hat from them last year, and lately been posting them here at FL. Glad the discount worked - which hat did you order?

I keep going back and forth about ordering a Sydney. It's a great looking hat. In fact, it looks just like a hat my wife bought me 20 yrs ago that no longer fits - it shrank, my head got fat, so now it's about 3 sizes too small. I've been trying to stretch it (gently), but it keeps drifting back to its small size. I'm not sure how she'd react to it being replaced - she says it's no big deal, but I'm not so sure.... :confused:

mingoslim

Practically Family
OK . . .

I have to confess . . . I have yet to buy an Akubra . . . I hear great things about them, and keep thinking "someday" . . .

But if prices are going up, perhaps today should be that day . . .

So here are my questions (and yes, I know I coould search and find this out, but I have limited time right now, so I am asking for help) . . .

Knowing I am partial to the Campdrafts, Fed and Fed Deluxe styles (or their equivalents) based upon what I have seen on-line and here at the lounge . . .

Which companies are the best to order from?
Best prices?
Best color selection?
Best customer service?

Any advice or help will be appreciated.

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
I can only speak from my own experience.

mingoslim said:
I have to confess . . . I have yet to buy an Akubra . . . I hear great things about them, and keep thinking "someday" . . .
Which companies are the best to order from?
Best prices?
Best color selection?
Best customer service?

Warning: I have tried to be careful but I'm fairly new soooo. . . .
Mingoslim- First, what do you want it for? :eusa_doh: - not the clearest question I've ever asked! I mean if you like the Fed/Deluxe high crowns/no-taper then the Adventurer might be a good choice. David Morgan seems to have an exclusive on it- one color only, I think- I didn't see any indication of a sale, as of today. If you are looking for something a bit more casual, then the Banjo Paterson seems to be a model to look at- I think it is the basis for several Akubras including the Lawson (another Heritage model)- I personally bought a Banjo in Fawn and I absolutely love it for anything but more formal or dress occasions. But I teach college so I can be a bit more casual most of the time. Color selection seems to depend on the model. DM has the most models and most seem to be in stock. Noggintops seems to have a very good selection also as does Aaron- both Noggintops and Aaron are having a sale with some excellent prices (plus associated discounts).

As to dealers, Aarons has a couple of exclusives unless you want the Australian wait and he has the CEO at a great price! That seems to be a flexible hat with a grosgrain ribbon and bound brim (but includes stampede hooks).

David Morgan seems to have a great selection - I admit being sorely tempted by the Lightening Ridge in the Sand color (Noggintops has it in Fawn). That hat's a little more "outback" or cowboy but still looks good with casual attire.

Noggintops is the one I have dealt with whose customer service has truly impressed. I got one hat from them with a cosmetic defect- I wasn't even sure it was a defect! I was told to send it back and they worked with me to get a replacement to me very quickly and paid the return shipping on the defective one. I think all these dealers who sell Akubra and support FL are top drawer in their customer service. As you know this is a service industry and profits per unit are small so they need return customers.

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
Banjo in Fawn- ordering another tomorrow!!

carldelo said:
Now that you've bought a hat from Noggintops, you should receive their newsletter, which they send out once a month or so.

Carldelo- Good to know!! I'll certainly keep my eye out. They are the other side of the country but seem to give great service!! Friendly and helpful.

carldelo said:
I keep going back and forth about ordering a Sydney. It's a great looking hat. In fact, it looks just like a hat my wife bought me 20 yrs ago that no longer fits - it shrank, my head got fat, so now it's about 3 sizes too small. I've been trying to stretch it (gently), but it keeps drifting back to its small size. I'm not sure how she'd react to it being replaced - she says it's no big deal, but I'm not so sure.... :confused:

Carldelo- I must be tired (oh, my. Look at the time!). :eusa_doh:

:eek:fftopic: Please forgive me for this!! I kept having these weird images while reading the above. Was it your head that drifted back to its small size? :p Hmmm. Would your wife respond to your head being replaced? :eek: No big deal? :eek: But your post is perfectly clear! So it has to be me who needs sleep now!!! :D

I'm considering a Sydney as well. One of their Stetson's looks good for a more formal hat (great price!!) as well. I'm trying to do my part and spend that tax rebate before it arrives!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran