Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Oldsarge

One Too Many
That's a swell looking hat, Oldsarge! I also really enjoy the rest of your ensemble. What, if you'll pardon my asking, is the watch?
Have you considered the Acorn colour for the Stylemaster? I'm not sure if it'll meet your fawn/light tan criteria, but it's certainly not brown.
All the best,
TS

The watch is from Stauer, a discontinued model that connects to the Naval labs and so is always within 1/10,000,000,000th of a second of the correct time. :D

fenris

One of the Regulars
The strangest coincidence happened this afternoon while I was out in a shopping center... I saw someone wearing a felt hat! To find someone wearing a felt hat over here is very rare.

Anyway, as I was waiting for my wife and mom, a man wearing a fawn colored hat passed by. I was wearing my Fed IV and we exchanged smiles. He then backtracked and approached me. He asked if my hat was a Stetson, I said "No, it's an Akubra." We both take off our hats and lo and behold, we were both wearing Akubras! His still had the liner, though. I removed mine 2 days ago to clean it as it was turning yellow.

I was not expecting to find a serious fellow hat-wearer here in the Philippines, much more someone who had an Akubra... Funny thing was we had the same size hat! He was so interested in my hat because he liked the crown shape which was taller and less tapered than what he had.

His hat kinda looked like this:
Lifestyle-Casual-Regencyfawn-preview.jpg

I wasn't sure of the model... It looked like a Stylemaster without the bound brim and had a feather on the ribbon. That pic is the closest I could find on Akubra's site.

fenris

One of the Regulars
I'm not familiar with other Akubra styles, but do some hats arrive pre-creased? Or are most Akubra hats open crowned?

The guy's hat had a sort of teardrop bash. The crown was definitely shorter than a Fed IV.

jbucklin

Practically Family
Yes, some of their hats are pre-creased. I believe if you go to hatsdirect.com you will find that the Akubras are grouped categorically, i.e. open-crowned, etc. They are also very helpful and friendly on the phone should you decide to give them a call to get the hat you want.

jbucklin

Practically Family
Actually, I just checked their site and it must be David Morgan that lists them by category. I would just call them if I were you.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A few months ago I ordered an Akubra Broadbeach from Australiangear.com as shown here:
Straw-Broadbeach-Fawn-preview.jpg

This is what arrived after three months:
braodbeach1.jpg

broadbeach2.jpg

I was a bit surprised at the difference in ribbons. I'd expected the conservative geometric ribbon as shown in the photo but what arrived was this wild funky hot pink and purple on black paisley.
I emailed them about it and they said they'd see what they could do about sending another ribbon and I haven't heard back since then (about 2 months ago).
Though not what I expected the hat still is nice and with the ribbon it has works well for the beach or pool. The large brim size is nice when in full sun for a long time and the poly-straw breathes nicely. At the price I paid ($43 including shipping) I would definitely recommend it.

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
A few months ago I ordered an Akubra Broadbeach from Australiangear.com as shown here:
Straw-Broadbeach-Fawn-preview.jpg

This is what arrived after three months:
braodbeach1.jpg

broadbeach2.jpg

I was a bit surprised at the difference in ribbons. I'd expected the conservative geometric ribbon as shown in the photo but what arrived was this wild funky hot pink and purple on black paisley.
I emailed them about it and they said they'd see what they could do about sending another ribbon and I haven't heard back since then (about 2 months ago).
Though not what I expected the hat still is nice and with the ribbon it has works well for the beach or pool. The large brim size is nice when in full sun for a long time and the poly-straw breathes nicely. At the price I paid ($43 including shipping) I would definitely recommend it.

I think the "funky" ribbon looks great on that hat! Much better IMHO than the other one.

jbucklin

Practically Family
And a good looking hat, but isn't it a bit warm for this part of the country right now in this heat?

It would seem that way, but I have actually been pulling off wearing my felt hats in +100 degree weather. I'm never really out in the heat---either indoors or in my car. I have a few straws but still tend to view the straw hat as a necessary evil. That's how much I love fur-felt fedoras.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
It would seem that way, but I have actually been pulling off wearing my felt hats in +100 degree weather. I'm never really out in the heat---either indoors or in my car. I have a few straws but still tend to view the straw hat as a necessary evil. That's how much I love fur-felt fedoras.
I know just what you mean. I have one straw fedora, a Biltmore, which has the "right" look, and a Panama Open Road. But I can't shape a straw as easily as I can a felt (or maybe I don't have the patience). And wearing a straw simply reminds me of the nasty, hot climate I'm stuck in.

It rained a couple of weeks back, and the early morning temps plunged all the way to 76 F. I stubbornly wore one of my felt Open Roads to keep the rain off my head when I drove to the store.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Does anybody own the Akubra Overlander hat? I don't think I've seen a single picture of it on the Lounge, so if you do, feel free to share pictures. If I were to own one, I might especially be interested in the sand color.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
From what I've understood with my questions to DavidMorgan and Akubra, it's pretty much just an Akubra Stockman or Snowy River in their Heritage felt. It's the same crown as the other two, though the brim width and leather band might differ. Unless you prefer Imperial to Heritage you couldn't really go wrong.

job

One Too Many
New Campdraft. Well made and comfortable. It will see some serious head time this up coming season.

DSCN1828_01.jpg
DSCN1831.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner