Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Nice work on the reshape, I'm really diggin' it! By flattening the brim on the sides and "snapping" it down in the front, you're sure to get better sun protection than the factory crease would provide. I kinda' like the plaited leather band and I think it suits the hat, but I'd like it more if Akubra hadn't attached their logo to it.

The leather I believe was pressed leather not straight cut, it turned light colored as in the pic and fell apart in my hands, very cheap I, have a silk pugaree silk coming and some sweet french rayon ribbon , I have a couple akubras I want to redue, its better when I personalize my hats

Last edited:

jhoops01

One of the Regulars
Hello,

I've been lurking for a good while, but finally joined! I'm waiting for my first Akubra, a Fed IV in Tawny Fawn. Can't wait! It should be here next week.

-Joe

Lt.hats

A-List Customer
Welcome Joe, I too think you will love your Fed IV, I have two and want more! My Fed IV in moonstone is my favorite hat and I usually wear it two or three times a week. It is the hat that I judge new hats against. For the price, it's hard to beat an Akubra, (especially the Fed IV), IMHO.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks, I love mine. In fact I don't wear mine much to keep it looking good. Ironically I keep it as my dress hat. Ironic because I have 4 custom made beaver felts from Art Fawcett. I love the colour as it looks black in low lighting but blue indoors and almost green in direct sunlight. Fantastic wide brim for sun protection.

It is similar to the Campdraft but from what I have read the campdraft has a taller crown with straighter sides then the Squatter. The Squatters brim is wider 76mm at the front and back with 73mm on the sides where the Campdraft is 73mm round the entire hat. Also the Ribbon width.

Hope that helps.

I have a question : Akubra changed the catalog and only offers the Squatter in Steel grey (mine) and Deep Fawn now...... What the heck is deep fawn? I have a fawn, santone fawn, Regency fawn but have never seen Deep fawn. Any ideas/pictures?

Johnny

Cattus Petasatus

One of the Regulars
I googled around but couldn't find "deep fawn". I'm guessing its probably a darker brown.

I might have to take the plunge on a squatter this year if there is a bonus at work. That or a custom from Black Sheep Hat Works. I can't keep my eyes off the Shadowhawk

diabolicaldog

New in Town
I have a Squatter in deep fawn that arrived just on a month ago. I really wasn't sure what the actual colour was until it arrived. It is in fact a dark green/brown with a dark brown ribbon. What did surprise me was that it arrived lined.

Brian Niebuhr

One of the Regulars
Maybe it's the same color as the "fawn" Sombrero. It's called fawn but it's actually much darker than other fawn Akubras I've owned. The Sombrero and squatter are both made with the "superfine" felt so there could be some relation. If it is the same color, it's pretty dark brown with a green tone.

stratcat

One of the Regulars
I'm pleased to say I've joined the club!
I received my Fed IV in brown and a Homburg in acorn from those nice people at hats direct. They are great hats and great service from HD!
I was a bit reticent about bashing, but after reading lots of info on these pages I just went for it.

The homburg was a simple case of a centre crease and no pinches. I wore it today and felt a million dollars!
80859543-6908-472a-9fd1-21b01d2cd675_zps492f41ed.jpg

P1010558_zps1a4eb022.jpg

I was a bit worried about the size of the fed IV, I thought it would dwarf me, but even with a simple centre dent and soft pinches I think it's great.
b8fe5f3c-dfcb-45a4-a60f-1a63f26f1969_zpsfac796c4.jpg
9014c16a-e2b9-448f-87bb-ab424f026aac_zps5dc2ea78.jpg

I'm pretty new to wearing hats but the bugs bitten and I'm even thinking about my next purchases:eeek:
:D

Apologies for the rubbish quality pics - I blame the laptop camera!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters