Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Highlander

A-List Customer
Here's my old Riverina... It came out with a leatherlike band (looked hokey as heck), and I made one of the Pugaree bands for it, and it looked good, but I couldn't keep it in place every well. So I took in to Levine hats in St. Louis and they found a bow band to match the brim binding and put the band. Now its just too nice to wear out in the conditions and weather... :) Akubra Riverina.jpg

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I stand corrected. I previously said hats by the 100 were expensive. I just looked at other Akubra dealers and when you factor in shipping and handling they are very competitive. It’s just been a while since I bought one…… encourages me to take better care of my hats. :)

Johnny

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Hello, does anyone own an Akubra Safari? What are your thoughts on this specific hat?

It is an Akubra, so it is a durable and attractive hat.

You should also look at the Riverina, Tablelands, Coolabah and Coober Pedy hats as options before deciding. There are similarities and differences between these which give you the ability to select something which flatters your look best. Brim sizes, bands and shape variations give you choices to consider rather than just getting the first one that you see based upon a blind concept.

Fed

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Here's my old Riverina... It came out with a leatherlike band (looked hokey as heck), and I made one of the Pugaree bands for it, and it looked good, but I couldn't keep it in place every well. So I took in to Levine hats in St. Louis and they found a bow band to match the brim binding and put the band. Now its just too nice to wear out in the conditions and weather... :) View attachment 23989

Didn't you post a close up photo of that hat with the pug in place? Might even be the hat in your avatar... If it is as I recall, that was a very good looking setup. As to being too nice, wear it everywhere! It is an Akubra after all.

:cool:

Fed

Highlander

A-List Customer
Yes, the one in my avatar has the Pug on it. And I think I did post a close up when I got it done. I just couldn't seem to keep it maintained well, and had to fix it all of the time and re-stitch it to the hat.

Thanks for the great comments. And don't worry, I will wear it and adventure in it :)

Chamuco

I'll Lock Up
I creased my Adventurer myself, it really isn't very difficult. Watch the tutorial videos. Once you hold the hat in your hand you'll get a feel for how easy it is.
I didn't use water or steam, later as I wore the hat I just kept tweaking the crease. It changes and grows to become "your" hat over time. View attachment 23951
Thanks a lot, will see how it works with mine, I was afraid of the steaming, so I will follow your path and do it as you did.

Chamuco

I'll Lock Up
There is a tutorial from here on the forums from Jimmy The Lid which is very helpful.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/archive/index.php/t-38228.html
Sorry - my search only provided an old text version, but maybe you can find the full version...

There is also a Roy Rogers video here and on You Tube showing how he does his signature crease.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OisMaRcdQI
While you might not go with that crease, the lesson is helpful and the video is enjoyable. It was my favorite video when I was looking for help.

And a Penman video which is somewhat similar to how I did my latest Campdraft, but I did not use that video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6hq2sNrU4g&feature=related
His crease is a bit too pinched for my tastes. I like a softer shape and only would use the beginning of the video as one method of laying out the initial concept. Even then JtL is hard to beat. Just depart from the tear drop into what you want as a finished crease.

David Morgan:

http://www.davidmorgan.com/bashinghat.html

But your final crease choice is too personal to intrude upon and guidance cannot be given without knowing a lot more about you; your look and your own features.

Good luck! Enjoy the process and the result!

Fed

Thanks Fed, nice videos indeed.

I will work my own crease and place some pics !

Also thank for the help with the Safari, will check the other hats you told me.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
It is taking a lot of willpower to not pull the trigger on a couple of hats from EA that I have been wanting to add to the collection. This weak Aussie dollar is very tempting

hatguy1

One Too Many
Here's my old Riverina... It came out with a leatherlike band (looked hokey as heck), and I made one of the Pugaree bands for it, and it looked good, but I couldn't keep it in place every well. So I took in to Levine hats in St. Louis and they found a bow band to match the brim binding and put the band. Now its just too nice to wear out in the conditions and weather... :) View attachment 23989

That is a fine looking hat! Reminds me of my previous "walkabout" hat that had a cloth hatband (no bow). Wore that thing literally all over the world until it was just beyond repair.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I know! I've been throwing huge, shameless Valentines and other event hints about this to my wife for a week now....
:mmph::eyebrows:

Ha! Our wedding anniversary is the following week, so I said to the wife (real fast), "You know, honey, the Aussie dollar's temporarily down and I can get that hat (bluegrass CD) I really, really want right now for nuthin' and you can wear them in the rain and...." Her response? "Oh, the poor Australians."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany